Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished installing trigger kit last night. Spent 3 nights adjusting the trigger safety and the sear. Had to file down the sear to get solid contact with the grip safety. Also had to file down the reset tab on the trigger safety to get the trigger bar to reset after firing.

Found that a hard sharpening stone worked best for removing material from the trigger group parts.

Before - After

1st Stage 1/4" - 1/16"
2nd Stage 3/16" - 1/8"
Trigger Pull 6 lbs. - 3.7 lbs.

Very happy. Will be test firing today.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Just finished fine tuning mine as well. For the XDsc you really have to take a lot off the sear for it to fit. Test fired today and it's smooth and crisp......

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Set over-travel yesterday. There is no overtravel that I can detect. So when the sear releases, the trigger is already as far back as it can go. I like it so far.

·
Registered
37 Posts
atmiller,
I've been considering the Ultimate Match kit for my XD9 Service. I am concerned about having to "fit" the sear. How were the instructions from Powder River? Did you need a special "jig" to hold some critical angle just right on the sear? I have a good set of files and stones and I know the inner workings of my XD pretty well. Adjusting the sear concerns me.
One other thing. Powder River has 3 other kits that do NOT include a replacement sear. What does replacing the sear actually do for you? They say I can get better (shorter) travel and a lighter pull weight with the other kits. Replacing the sear must have some other advantage.
Thanks

·
Registered
447 Posts
Just placed a order last night. Can't wait till it arrives. The video is nice and easy to follow. I feel confident in doing this myself. I was at a IDPA classifier and I got upset at the long travel when I was shooting. If I had a shorter take where I can just tap and fire I would've did better. Hopefully after I install this kit I will re-classify and move up. Thanks PRP.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oldgranddad,

The fitting of the kit was not that difficult. Just take your time, and always remember that you can always remove more material, but you can't add it back once its gone.

The directions that come with the kit were enough to know what to do to fit the kit. I only had to adjust 1 area on the sear to get proper grip safety engagement. Watching PRP's videos helped me understand how the parts worked together.

I think the travel reduction is in the new sear. Overtravel reduction is in the new trigger. Trigger pull is in the springs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just put mine together in about two hours, in my XD9 tactical. Had to fit the sear width, grip safety engagement, trigger bar reset, and the overtravel stop. Overtravel took LOTS of sanding. Very short reset. Will be test firing tomorrow after work.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, the overtravel stud on the trigger has a lot of excess material. I put the old trigger in to get a visual of how much material I would need to remove. That way I could be aggressive at removing material until I got close to the desired adjustment.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Wow is all I have to say. I just got done installing the kit. I got lucky and didn't have to adjust the striker safety lever. Took a little bit off the sear to work properly with the grip safety and for the sear to move freely like the video said. Moved on to the trigger and that took most of the time. I sanded, reassembled, sanded etc. Then the last sand I re-installed and it fired. I jumped in the air with excitement and almost fell over the chair. I actually almost paid a smith to do. Thanks for the videos, I bought the laptop down with me and just went step by step.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You really get to know the inner workings of the gun by doing it yourself, which is an added benefit.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yes it is. Now I can fully strip I apart and clean an not worry no more. After, I took my XD 45 apart and cleaned it. Transferred the XDM slide stop onto the XD. Actually looks nice. The XDM has a different one on so I wanted to see how it looked. Lol.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I was so happy with the trigger on the XDM I just placed another order for the XD. Can't wait to put this on.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is encouraging. I just ordered the Ultimate match trigger kit for my XDm 45 along with a solid stainless steel guide rod from PRP. I've been looking at all the PRP and Springer videos and it definitely looks doable. I'm also glad I coughed up the extra bucks for their best kit, since I didn't fully understand the difference between it and the one below it when I ordered it. The one I ordered has the trigger travel stop, which they say is the only method to not stress the trigger bar. Springer just makes a beefy trigger bar, which is kind of nice, but looks a little harder to install than the PRP.

So, has anyone ordered their polished striker? Just curious if it makes a difference. I figure I'll polish mine myself if I feel the need to tweak something.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have not tried the polished striker. Been looking at it and all the titanium kit. But I just can't do it yet. When I had the XDM and XD apart I went ahead and polished the ejector, trigger block, trigger bar. It is much smoother now. Just a idea.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Can't wait for mine to get here either this Tuesday or Wednesday. I've been watching the videos almost daily hope the install goes smoothly.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Tenzzz,

It will go smoothly. I took the laptop down with me and followed step by step. That was after watching it so I know what to expect. If I did you can too. Take your time when fitting. Sanding and reinstalling and checking is a pain. But after couple times of re checking you going to become a expert. Lol. Good luck let me know if you need help.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It came in the mail today, now I just need the kids to go to bed so I can install in peace.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts