Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had used the Urban Mirage White duracoat on the slide of a Springfield xd9mm, and was really proud of it.

I used Bore Tech Inc. "Moly Magic" to clean the barrel, and some got on the slide. The duracoat peeled off like latex paint and paint stripper. It was actually kind of amazing.
I literally used my fingernail to remove it.

My firearm was all urban mirage white, now it is urban mirage white, with a steel slide (yuck). I'm not really writing this to complain, although I don't know what to do with this abomination now, but more so to let you know that this product [moly magic] is disasterous on duracoat. It didn't seem to affect the bond with the polymer frame, but it did seem to affect the duracoat on surfaces on the stainless that were rough, wheere I figured I would have better adhesion.

The Moly Magic works great for cleaning out residue from coated lead bullets, though.

Bummer.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Paint is for houses and cars not firearms. IMHO of course

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
well i guess if others don't like the sh** brown dark earth xd you have, i would like to think they may have the option of changing that.

if paint if for houses and cars i doubt you would tell that to military personnel that have taken a can of krylon to their rifles.

IMO

its not the paint so much as how people use it. I have seen abominations made from houses, cars, and firearms because people get happy with a can of paint.

its good to know a product can easily remove what some clown does to an otherwise nice weapon.

no offense intended to anyone.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
did that happen to the gun in your avatar? that'd be a shame- i thought the stormtrooper look was pretty awesome.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
the military budget is slim to NONE...especially when it comes down to infantry.

we made the best with what we got. screw you when you say paint if for cars and houses.

i guess you would say face cammo would be best just for kids on halloween huh.
there is a HUGE difference between legit camo any way its applied and someone putting a cheesy underwater bubble seaweed aquaman theme on a mosin nagant.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
okay this whole thread is about paint and the lack thereof.

paint was used in the military. spray paint to be more exact. it was used on assault rifles (M4s in my unit as well as sniper rifles). so what the hell are we talking about again?
well the op was talking about moly magic and how it causes duracoat to lift off of a slide. it seems to have snowballed from there.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
did that happen to the gun in your avatar? that'd be a shame- i thought the stormtrooper look was pretty awesome.
Yep. I liked it too. I have an AK-74 to match it. But now that stainelss slide just looks goofy on it. I might send it to ajamesp51(spell that right?) at xd-hs2000.com and have him/his guys duracoat it again with a diff color, even a grey or black.

They parkerize the slides before hand, and I bet it helps secure adhesion. Some things are better left to the pros.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Yep. I liked it too. I have an AK-74 to match it. But now that stainelss slide just looks goofy on it. I might send it to ajamesp51(spell that right?) at xd-hs2000.com and have him/his guys duracoat it again with a diff color, even a grey or black.

They parkerize the slides before hand, and I bet it helps secure adhesion. Some things are better left to the pros.

do you have pics of the white ak? i haven't come across any pics of it on here and it sounds interesting. ive considered doing the white to at least part of my xd.

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
I had used the Urban Mirage White duracoat on the slide of a Springfield xd9mm, and was really proud of it.

I used Bore Tech Inc. "Moly Magic" to clean the barrel, and some got on the slide. The duracoat peeled off like latex paint and paint stripper.
I literally used my fingernail to remove it.

It didn't seem to affect the bond with the polymer frame, but it did seem to affect the duracoat on surfaces on the stainless that were rough, wheere I figured I would have better adhesion.
Tornadic, it makes me wonder why it stripped the duracoat off of the slide and not the frame?

Just makes me wonder the difference in the adhesion between the two.

all in all it really was a great looking job done by you.
sad to hear it was ruined

time for a new & improved version

·
Registered
768 Posts
Sorry to hear about the duracoat man. I wouldn't want a white gun but yours looks/looked pretty damn good.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's the pic of the AK.

Insatiable one: I'm not sure why they're bonded differently. When you hold the polymer frame, it literally feels like the duracoat IS part of it, as if it actually became one.

The slide always felt like it was a coating. I don't know if it never toothed in or what. For all I know, it might have caused the steel to scale on a microscopic level, or if there was another film coating on the slide, it broke that down. I don't know enough to have TOO educated of a guess.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Um, that's a cat. Lol

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I emailed Lauer Custom Weaponry about it, I had got the duracoat from them. I might try chemically etching it, like you said. I think phosphoric is more appropriate for steel, but id have to look that up to be sure.

Regardless if I do it again or have ajamesp51 do it, additional steps are needed, and possibly more coats.

·
Registered
786 Posts
we made the best with what we got. screw you when you say paint if for cars and houses.[/QUOTE said:
1st. Now did you paint you weapons so they could blend in, ie Camo. or to to stand out?

2nd Did you clean them off afterwords? if not things have changed a lot as i can not even guess at what would have happened trying to turn in a painted weapon in years back.

3th Paint whatever you want. just seems wrong to put solvent on paint then cry about it when it lifts off.

4th At least the color of my Dark Earth XD9 won't wash off.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, back to the topic...
I informed Lauer Customer Weaponry about the problem, and they promptly sent me a new batch of duracoat. Kudos to them for stepping up, I didn't expect a new batch.
Could have been my fault, doubt it was a bad batch. Ill do it again, and be even more careful this time.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Don't know how I missed this earlier. Sad to hear about the Duracoat coming off, but glad to hear that you got a replacement batch.

I really like the looks of the StormTrooper. :D

I almost wish you would leave it white. :cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts