Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from my fourth trip to the range. I have about 450 rounds through my XD-40 now, all WWB, until today. At around #400, I let a friend of mine shoot some cheap Remington jacketed hollowpoints through it. The first mag (of Remington HP) went through fine, but on the second mag, 2 FTF's in a row. I loaded up a couple WWB's over the Remingtons, fired until I got the the Remington in the mag, and it hung up again with a FTF. I continued to use the gun with WWB ball ammo without a hitch, and put another 30 or so through it before calling it a day. Anyone else had a simialr experience with Remington HP's or hollowpoints in general?

I am a little concerned about carry issues, as I use Federal Hydra-Shoks and Remington Golden Sabres in my other carry gun.

I have run both types of ammo through the XD without problems, but that was within the first 100 rounds through the gun. Should I be concerned?

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Son of Norway said:
I haven't heard of anyone having FTF problems with Hydra Shoks.
never really heard of xd40's having FTF much. Switch ammo i guess, or be careful and polish the feed ramp

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used a dremel to polish the feed ramp. Someone had posted pictures that had a before and after I believe, and I used that as a guide to see what to polish.

On my XD, when the feed ramp meets the barrel, it was a really sharp edge, I polished that down with my dremel, then used some really, really fine sandpaper (others mentioned using jewlers rouge, but i couldn't find any) to polish the entire feedramp. Then I used a small, buffing attachment for the dremel to buff it to a high shine.

Since then I have used WWB, Ranger Talons, and some remingtons without a problem.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I used a dowel with realy fine sandpaper (1500 I think) and finished off with 000 steel wool. Polished the feed ramp, chamber, and breach face.

·
Registered
33 Posts
When you guys say "polish the feedramp" with a dremel, are you saying you actually just use one of the soft/cloth/cotton attachment to polish it up and make it shiny and smooth, or are you suggesting you use something a little tougher and actually remove a little material to make the feed ramp a little wider?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Just polish it.....DON'T take any off.....I must say that I use Hydra's in my XD9 and Xd 40 service models and have had no problems...as far as the Remingtons...Well can't hep yah there.....Sorry.... :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just had a couple of FTFs on that same ammo (9mm) yesterday. I think it comes down to how the rounds are sitting in the magazine. For some reason, these rounds often hang up on each other inside the mag when you load them. If you tap the magazine on a table after loading it, you might hear a "click" sound which are the rounds aligning themselves. After doing this, they should feed properly.

At least, that's what made the 70 rounds of it that I fired yesterday work correctly after those FTFs.

FWIW, it didn't happen with Winchester 115 grain or 135(?) grain FMJ, which were the other rounds I fired yesterday.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I put 150 rounds of remington HP through my 40 yesterday without a problem. Also used 100 rounds of wolf without a hitch. I did notice a huge difference in muzzle flip. The Remington had lots of flash and kick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts