Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my barrel on the tile from standing height.... it bounced once 4-6 inches before landing in the soil of a potted plant. I cleaned it and inspected it about 20 times. There appears to be no visible damage. I'm not sure which part hit first, but the feed ramp and rifling do not appear damaged. How solid of a part is this? BTW… it slipped out of my hand because it had solvent all over it…. First time I’ve ever dropped a gun component.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I doublt you did any damage. The rifling is on the inside so that couldn't have been hurt. The crown may be dinged. I'd check to make sure there aren't any burrs there that would interfere with contact between it and the slide. Also check to make sure there aren't any dings near the inside that may cause it not to be square if that makes any sense. The only other part thay may have been dinged is the ramp. If that's OK then you probably didn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
The barrel is probably the most indestructable part you can drop. It is built to contain explosions, so dropping it should not be an issue.

·
Registered
53 Posts
As the others have said, you probably didn't do any damage. I dropped the barrel on my .45 (Springfield Loaded Champion) out in the garage and had a small rough spot. I touch sanded it with 400 grit sandpaper, put it back together and have since shot 300 plus rounds through it without a problem. You should be okay.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
Don't listen to these guy's. They don't know what they are talking about. Your gun is totally ruined. Send it to me right away and go buy a new one. I will dispose of the old gun properly. :p

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'm with fatman, but I'll even offer to pay the shipping.

BTW, just think of the battering that the barrel is designed to take in normal usage.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys... you made me feel better. :D

This was like the time I was washing my '86 Monte Carlo and on the LAST squirt of the hose before starting the drying process, it slipped out of my hand and the hose nozzle (one of those 10 pound 6 spray pattern versions) fell onto my hood and took a nice chunk out of my $3,000 paint job. It happened in slow motion. All I could say was...... ugh.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
Dotagious said:

This was like the time I was washing my '86 Monte Carlo and on the LAST squirt of the hose before starting the drying process, it slipped out of my hand and the hose nozzle (one of those 10 pound 6 spray pattern versions) fell onto my hood and took a nice chunk out of my $3,000 paint job. It happened in slow motion. All I could say was...... ugh.
That cars no good anymore. Send it to me so I can dispose of it properly and you go buy a new one. :D

·
Registered
229 Posts
OEFM and Jim, God bless them, have good intentions, but the truth is obvious, they are not willing enough to be true friends and come by to pick them up for you hassle free. So, as a true friend, give me the addy and I will be right over to relieve you, my friend, of these hardships and burdens and take them upon myself before they do irreperable damages to you mentally and emotionally. No thanks required, it is a calling ... :twisted:

·
Registered
196 Posts
I kind of find it ironic that CA drop test might be a proof that XD (as well as other guns that passed the test) is a reliable gun.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Dotagious said:

I think you may need to wear skateboard tape on your hands so you stop dropping things!
:D :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
137 Posts
this reminds me of a painful memory.
a few years ago i was at an art show with my X-wife. I was carring a walther ppks mexican style, well while loading some paintings in to the truck. my ppks fell out and hit the pavement barrel first. it landed on a trianguelar piece of gravel just right and made a big ding in the crown which pushed the rifleing up into the bore. I had to recrown it. one in a million stroke of bad luck. Of course there were a lot of the artcy fartcy types standing around . when they saw the gun fall out you would have thought i had just set of a stink bomb off or something. all the way home my wife kept telling me how embearist she was.
Now my X-wife. go figure.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
pistol fixer said:
this reminds me of a painful memory.
a few years ago i was at an art show with my X-wife. I was carring a walther ppks mexican style, well while loading some paintings in to the truck. my ppks fell out and hit the pavement barrel first. it landed on a trianguelar piece of gravel just right and made a big ding in the crown which pushed the rifleing up into the bore. I had to recrown it. one in a million stroke of bad luck. Of course there were a lot of the artcy fartcy types standing around . when they saw the gun fall out you would have thought i had just set of a stink bomb off or something. all the way home my wife kept telling me how embearist she was.
Now my X-wife. go figure.
Serves you right for carrying mexican style. I assume you bought a holster after. Mexican carry is for amateurs and people who want to blow their balls off or burn them off if they have to reholster after use. You spent several hundred dollars on the gun, the least you can do is invest in a proper carry holster, for the gun's sake if not yours...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts