Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bersa 22 after only about 150rnds of Thunderbolt ammo last weekend, no wonder some of the shots were getting goofy.
Plan on doing accuracy tests tomorrow after I get this gunk cleaned out.

·
Super Moderator
22,196 Posts
Get we get a pic of the bullets your shooting?

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Super Moderator
22,196 Posts
Pics of the bullets you were shooting. Were they lead or FMJ?

·
Super Moderator
22,196 Posts

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol
As far as I know there are no FMJ 22lr and Remy Thunderbolts are the ammo as I said in the original post.

Last night the two piece pistol cleaning rod got stuck in the bore and I am almost finished drilling it out, ugh! I'm sure I'll need a new barrel but we'll see.
I sure love this gun :-(

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
lol
As far as I know there are no FMJ 22lr and Remy Thunderbolts are the ammo as I said in the original post.

Last night the two piece pistol cleaning rod got stuck in the bore and I am almost finished drilling it out, ugh! I'm sure I'll need a new barrel but we'll see.
I sure love this gun :-(
Not FMJ per se... but there are copper coated ones and just plain lead... I only use CCI ammo for .22's, Remington is junk with .22 ammo, I can shoot 5 or 6 hundred rounds of CCI and the rifle wont be as dirty as 100 rounds of Remington.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not FMJ per se... but there are copper coated ones and just plain lead... I only use CCI ammo for .22's, Remington is junk with .22 ammo, I can shoot 5 or 6 hundred rounds of CCI and the rifle wont be as dirty as 100 rounds of Remington.
Agreed about the quality of Thundercraps as I have stated in many other posts, but this lil Bersa runs them flawlessly. Once I get this worked out I will see if I can mitigate the build-up, perhaps just more frequent cleaning, but the Chiappa 1911 ran these bullets with no such build-up. I suspect the Bersa has a really tight bore.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WHEW!!

There are a couple of good gouges in the rifling from the drill bit, but she's still shooting straight out to 100yds :)

The lower left inset shows the whole chunks of the brass cleaning rod I had to drill out along with a section of pure lead with the rifling still intact.

ImageShack.us

·
Super Moderator
22,196 Posts
Did you have a squib and you shot it out?

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
couldnt you heat the barrel to soften the lead and get it out that way?
Before or after the brass rod got stuck inside?

Did you have a squib and you shot it out?
Umm, nope.
Squibs are my #1 fear in shooting. If I get one, I will notice, even if it's too late to stop the trigger pull.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
either, I guess. a drill bit seems a bit drastic to me.
Mee too, but I didn't know how bad it was till the rod got stuck and I don't have a torch.
BTW, suspicion confirmed by a cleaning jag and patch, the Bersa has a tight bore near the muzzle. Had to cut the patch just right to get it to go through.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts