Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to where I really liked the way remoil smelled... I dunno... like 'clean gun'... kind of like how hoppes reminds me of cleaning my .22 rifle when I was a young(er) kid..

breakfree clp smells horrific and gets EVERYWHERE. I hope it works well.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
armatron said:
breakfree clp smells horrific and gets EVERYWHERE. I hope it works well.
It's the only thing I use. I recommend not using the aerosol, because it does indeed get everywhere, and dispenses far more than you need in a single press of the button.

·
Registered
50 Posts
yeah it's the only thing i use too, besides a silicon cloth to wipe down at the end of the day. don't ask me why but breakfree clp smells like lipstick
to me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm ok. I usually used some sort of walmart gun cleaning liquid.. swapped everything and down the bore.. waited 10-15 min and wiped dry, then remoiled it lightly.

I just doused the thing in CLP. it says to wait an hour... it's been 20-30 min. I'm about to just wipe it off and see what happens.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay CLP sucks. (at least the aerosol version) "clean, lube, protect"

I dunno about the lubing and protecting, but it doesn't clean for crap. I ended up using the cleaning solvent I was using before to get the black off.

I'm going to back to remoil. I really actually think I'm going to return the clp to walmart. I feel ripped of my $6.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Mmmmmmmmmmmm...I LOVE the smell of Breakfree CLP :D I was introduced to it in 1987 at the Sheriff's Academy and have been in love with it every since.

I agree it can be messy. Still my favorite.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
armatron said:
Okay CLP sucks. (at least the aerosol version) "clean, lube, protect"

I dunno about the lubing and protecting, but it doesn't clean for crap. I ended up using the cleaning solvent I was using before to get the black off.

I'm going to back to remoil. I really actually think I'm going to return the clp to walmart. I feel ripped of my $6.
The army uses clp almost exclusively, so its a habit. You had problems cleaning with it?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know. It may be an awesome lube/protect. It doesn't clean for crap. I let it sit a good while, and really was scrubbing... and nothing. Afterwards I used my normal solvent and the rag was black from what clp left over. I then used carb cleaner and got ALL the CLP out of crevices and whatnot. air sprayed it dry, and am about to put a good coat of remoil on it.

no more CLP for me

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I like Tetra for lube, but the last two gunshows I couldn't find a single bottle for sale :?
I like Outers for solvent smell. Not that I huff spraypaint or anything like that :shock:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
armatron said:
I've been using RemOil for a while, but....well...it evaporates! Seriously, as a test, I put a few drops on a piece of metal, and a couple days later, it was all gone. What's up with that? Am I the only person who experiences this?

That said, as a short term lubricant, RemOil is okay, and I do love the smell.

For cleaning, I Hoppes 9 the bore, wipe everything with a Hoppes 9 rag, wipe with a clean rag to dry, then manually apply with my finger the lightest coat of light machine oil for protection and slight lube.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Rem-oil has teflon so evaporation is normal and to be expected. I love rem-oil because of that reason. I wipe down the firearm, hold it for a few minutes while it dries then buff it to a shine. Remington bore cleaner is good stuff right along with Blue Wonder gun cleaner.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I've used Breakfree since it came out (not sure when, but I know it was awhile ago) and I'm satisfied with it. I find that it cleans all of my weapons well.

It passed all of the inspections we had at the station, so it's a go for me.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
retired said:
I've used Breakfree since it came out (not sure when, but I know it was awhile ago) and I'm satisfied with it. I find that it cleans all of my weapons well.

It passed all of the inspections we had at the station, so it's a go for me.
Breakfree came out on the market in the early 80s. I remember getting little samples from the gunshop. Wasn't too long ago, lets see, only about...........25 years!!!! :shock:
I still have one of the original plastic bottles with stuff still in it. Never liked it, but I use it from time to time.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Never liked Break Free...can't stand the stuff. I feel sorry for the guys in the military that have to use it. It's just nasty and is a poor gun care product. Can't say I'm much of a fan of Rem Oil either.

Try Eezox (my favorite), FP-10, or Corrosion X Aviation. All of these are much better products (I have used them all).

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
BigBob68 said:
Rem-oil has teflon so evaporation is normal and to be expected. I love rem-oil because of that reason. I wipe down the firearm, hold it for a few minutes while it dries then buff it to a shine. Remington bore cleaner is good stuff right along with Blue Wonder gun cleaner.
But doesn't that make it more or less useless in the rust prevention department? (I have no doubts as to its lubricative properties).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts