Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far my typical days have been going to the range and renting various 9mm to see which one I like the best and then shooting 10-20 rds through each one. Then I got the XDm and shot a 100rds through that...

Curious what most people shoot when going to range, how often, etc. Vary distance or not? I typically shoot 50-100 rds and usually most of them are right at the 21 ft/ 7 yards mark. I suppose I could change that up, wondering what most recommend to ensure that you are proficient or what if any training program you follow to know that you are improving marksmanship?

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
1.) Distance to the target is determined by your skill level.
2.) Have you had any formal training, or are you just "winging it"?

Here's a 7yd group I shot from a pistol I was testing for function (project 1911 in 9mm, shooting Tula 115gr steel-cased ammo, standing, offhand):

Shoot like that, then move out to 15yds. Rinse, repeat. ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
So far my typical days have been going to the range and renting various 9mm to see which one I like the best and then shooting 10-20 rds through each one. Then I got the XDm and shot a 100rds through that...

Curious what most people shoot when going to range, how often, etc. Vary distance or not? I typically shoot 50-100 rds and usually most of them are right at the 21 ft/ 7 yards mark. I suppose I could change that up, wondering what most recommend to ensure that you are proficient or what if any training program you follow to know that you are improving marksmanship?
I'm still learning so cannot really recommend anything other than few observations and experiments I did myself, but my typical day at the range is:
Once a week on Wednesday or Thursday I go shoot at least 100 rounds of 9mm through XDM 5.25, slow fire, trying to take my time for each shot. I shoot strings of 10 shots at distance of 7 yards, my goal for that particular distance is to consistently have everything in red circle, i.e. groups of 1 inch in size, or less if possible. Once I hit that goal I will move to 10 yards, then to 15, then to 25 then I will see what to do next but at current pace it looks like it will take me a year or so before I can reach 15-ish yards, not to mention 25 yards.... That would be my formal self-training I do every time I go to range, after that formal part, because 100 rounds per shooting session is not enough for me, just to have fun I top that up with at least 200 rounds of .22 through my SR22, I do not have any goals there, just shooting the best I can at 7 yards.
I also normally take pictures of one two or three best groups I had that day and keep it for records so I can study my progress later on.
Some days, if I have extra cash to spend, instead of 100 rounds of 9mm I shoot 150-200 rounds and call it a day, no .22 shooting in this case because it will take me about an hour to go through that many rounds of 9mm and I get kicked out for using range over 1 hour of allotted time.
In the world of "dreams come through" I would like to shoot at least 500 rounds every day for let's say Monday through Thursday and then at least 50-100 rounds through sniper rifle let's say on Fridays and Maybe a little bit on Saturdays, Sunday I can take a day off. Unfortunately, until I hit a jackpot of 40+ million dollars I am happy to afford 100 rounds of 9mm per week plus some .22 for fun until my stash runs out of it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the world of "dreams come through" I would like to shoot at least 500 rounds every day for let's say Monday through Thursday and then at least 50-100 rounds through sniper rifle let's say on Fridays and Maybe a little bit on Saturdays said:
I would be happy if I could just commit to shooting about a 100rds per month and for me that would be sufficient. But the reason I posed the question is that everything I do has a purpose, and the same with going to the range... other than it is fun to go down and shoot, I want to know that I'm improving my skills and not just spending an hour shooting at the range... Part of that will involve me doing some more training which in turn might give me more goals of what to work on or not.

e.g. one thing I didn't think about, but could be an option is how well do you shoot with your opposite hand? they say you should be able to shoot with both hands in case you were ever incapacitated on that side i.e. shot in your dominant arm. I know I have never practiced shooting left handed. The other would obviously be the different distances.. The 'nice' range has a digital input to go exactly how far you request where as the "old" range has a hand crank and guestimates of how far you are shooting.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'm lucky, because my lady's parents have a farm out in Eastern Washington. We built a nice, permanent target stand a while back. We go out to the farm 6+ times a year, and I average well over 500 rounds per weekend.

I also go to the local range, but that is not as much fun. When I go to the range, I only shoot about 150 rounds. I make it to the range probably 5-6 times a year.

A friend has a farm on the outskirts of Portland that I get to shot at a few times a year. This is probably my favorite, because the 3 of us get a **** load of guns together and we shoot up a storm. Probably 500-700 rounds through several different guns at the farm.

I guess I shoot 6k+/- rounds a year. I've gotten some professional training, and I practice my drills when I'm at the farms. I don't practice drills at the range, because they would probably freak out.

Most of my shooting is done between 7-10 yards, with a few magazines at the 15-20 yard range. I also do some live fire drills close range, between 3-5 feet. I practice drawing and target acquisition with an empty gun several times a week.

I would like to do Thunder Ranch sometime, but they are always booked when I've had free time.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I usually go through 100 rounds each visit. I like to start at 7 yards to warm up, then move out farther. I try to get to the range at least twice a month.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
I usually make an entire day of the range when I go and shoot at least 3 different calibers each visit. I generally run 100 to 150 rounds through each firearm that I take.

As for distance, most self defense shootings occur at about 7 yards. You are really gonna have to justify shooting someone 15+ yards away.

With that said.. I love to target shoot... so I will shoot up to 50 yards away with my 1911's generally 25 yards max with my XD's.....

·
Banned
0 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Dot torture.

If your over 8" your too far back or too fast for your skill level

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts