• Stainless/Black

• Black/ODgreen

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my issue.

I will be getting my tan card (what lets security people in Illinois carry) soon, and I am thinking of adding a xd9sc to my safe for when I want to carry something a little smaller (and take friends shooting who might like a lower recoil pistol).

I already have a black XD45c, and I have a fetish for two-tone and other color guns. Does going two tone (either stainless or OD green) cause any advantages or disadvantages over black that would be worth noting?

Part of me says that stainless would stick out more, but is it really an issue?

How about ODgreen/black - does the green make it more likely to be noticed you think?

Just looking for opinions...

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I agree with TexasXD40, if it is concealed, it doesn't matter except for your preference.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Get what looks best to you.

If a mall ninja comes along in this thread and says that you "put yourself at a serious tactical disadvantage because a bi-tone will blow your cover" just ignore 'em. :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Get what looks best to you.

If a mall ninja comes along in this thread and says that you "put yourself at a serious tactical disadvantage because a bi-tone will blow your cover" just ignore 'em. :)
What...it will...everyone knows BGs can't ignore new shineys, and what do you think your stainless steel slide turns into when it sees the light of day?

·
Premium Member
127,873 Posts
you "put yourself at a serious tactical disadvantage because a bi-tone will blow your cover"

Seriously though I prefer black on black. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
What...it will...everyone knows BGs can't ignore new shineys, and what do you think your stainless steel slide turns into when it sees the light of day?
If it is concealed, it doesn't turn into anything.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I prefer the bi-tone. First off, for its corrosion resistance (Notice I said "Resistance" not "Immunity" even with excessive holster wear.

Easier to keep clean.

Color doesn't matter for concealability due to the fact that it is.... umm... concealed.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
IMO, if your carrying, and god forbid you have to use or clear your house, an all black pistol would be better. I would think something that stands out during this situation is not good.. hell, I even had my mags coated black.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine's bi...

Oh, we're talking about guns here.. wrong forum. Still bi-tone. I figure if I ever have to pull it on someone, they won't have time to make sense of what the shiny-thingy is before they lack the ability to return fire.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
IMO, if your carrying, and god forbid you have to use or clear your house, an all black pistol would be better. I would think something that stands out during this situation is not good.. hell, I even had my mags coated black.
I am not a ninja... nor am I ever outfitted as a swat team member. I wear normal color clothes. Mostly blue jeans due to my work requiring them. Do you honestly think carrying a gun with a silver slide will matter when the person holding the gun has a purple shirt, blue jeans and pristine white tennis shoes on? Honestly?

It's not like you will have the chance to change clothes before defending yourself.

If it is nighttime and I am sleeping, I will just have to deal with powder burns on my stomach and upper thighs. I don't sleep in full entry gear. I sleep in boxers...

I understand that the all black gun would be best for an entry team... but for the every day guy? I think not.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I am not a ninja... nor am I ever outfitted as a swat team member. I wear normal color clothes. Mostly blue jeans due to my work requiring them. Do you honestly think carrying a gun with a silver slide will matter when the person holding the gun has a purple shirt, blue jeans and pristine white tennis shoes on? Honestly?

It's not like you will have the chance to change clothes before defending yourself.

If it is nighttime and I am sleeping, I will just have to deal with powder burns on my stomach and upper thighs. I don't sleep in full entry gear. I sleep in boxers...

I understand that the all black gun would be best for an entry team... but for the every day guy? I think not.
not saying anyone is a ninja..LOL I think if your walking in a dark parking lot and you are being "followed" or maybe "paralled" by someone. Pulling out your weapon at your car door while helping in your wife, it may be better not to "flash" that shinny chromed slide... In my opinon of course..
As far as walking through your house or residence when its dark, that extra "bling" might give away your position.. Just a thought thats all..

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I took the most unpopular choice and voted OD/Black, but not because of any tactical reason... I just think the SC OD/Black looks great. I've got an all black service, and I too desire something with a little more color.

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
not saying anyone is a ninja..LOL I think if your walking in a dark parking lot and you are being "followed" or maybe "paralled" by someone. Pulling out your weapon at your car door while helping in your wife, it may be better not to "flash" that shinny chromed slide... In my opinon of course..
As far as walking through your house or residence when its dark, that extra "bling" might give away your position.. Just a thought thats all..
You are watching to much TV my friend.
The XD doesn't have a "shinny chromed slide" it has a dull matte silver slide. If you allow yourself to get into either of the situation you are discussing, the slide color will not matter.

Unless the black slide hides muzzle flash better. :)

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
You are watching to much TV my friend.
The XD doesn't have a "shinny chromed slide" it has a dull matte silver slide. If you allow yourself to get into either of the situation you are discussing, the slide color will not matter.

Unless the black slide hides muzzle flash better. :)
Not saying games are training aids, but at times, when your being shot at, you return fire to anything that might lead you to believe that its the BG. like light colors and muzzle flash... Yes, there are pictures of all chromes slides of Xds..
But general speaking, pistols with other than black are easier to see in low light conditions... So IMHO, an all black pistol for a 24/7 carry, would be the best choice. No one knows what conditions they will be in...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts