Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I had two failures to feed on my stock XD-40 4" with the same magazine (bang bang, slide stays back, immediate action, bang bang, slide stays back, immediate action, bang, etc..). I was shooting the aluminum cased CCI Blaser 180gr FMJ through the standard 12 rd Mag (which is newer than the gun).

I mentioned this to the fellow at the range and he said that there was something about the combination of this gun and this ammo, but I have the feeling he was talking out of his ass. Has anybody else heard of this?

I normally store the gun loaded with 11+1, and it stays loaded like that between range trips or unloaded and magazines switched every other week. Would the magazines springs need replacing this early?

Finally, I'm considering adding Don's Guide rod and a 22# or 24# spring. Would this help? Are there reccomendations for which weight (independent of my little problem)?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Is this the first time you've used the aluminum Blazer ammo? If so, it likely is the ammo as the outher guy said and you can solve the problem by buying something else with a brass casing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This was two incidents with one mag (in the same loading). I have competed with the aluminum stuff, have about 1,000 rds through. As far as I can remember, I've had one other stoppage, an FTF with one of my original 10rd mags (when it was about 2 years old). I can't remember what ammo I was shooting, though I don't believe it was the CCI aluminum stuff. (I hope its not the ammo, as I have about 1,000 rds left)

After I the FTF's I switched mags that I was using, so didn't give it any opportunities to fail again. Next range trip I will and see how often it fails.

My big question remains what regimens of loading, storage and unloading that the magazine springs can take. I've heard a lot about how modern springs can stay compressed and retain their... whatever it is; and that the constant loading and unloading is what does them in. I store one loaded for significant periods of time and I wonder if this is the cause. Anyone with anything more concrete on this?

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
If the slide is locking fully back with the slide lock engaged, I don't see this as an ammo problem. Three causes can make the slide lock engage.
1) The slide lock is not functioning properly.
2) The follower in the mag is contacting the slide lock and engaging it. This usually only occurs with one round left in the mag and the feed lips need adjusting.
3) Shooter induced by placing the thumb on or under the slide lock and inadvertently pushing up on it while shooting. (This one is where I have problems on the 1911)

Leaving your mags loaded for an extended period of time will not hurt the spring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts