Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a press that can easily go from one caliber to another (9mm, 40SW, 45 GAP). I shoot maybe 300-400 rounds per week.

I have had both a single stage Rockchucker and a progressive press. The single stage that was handed down to me was pretty slow and the progressive was very fast, but was a pain to change out dies for different calibers. I know alot of people buy mutiple progressive presses each set up for a diffrent caliber, but i don't have the space for more than one press. Never tried a turrent press but it seems like a good in between. You can buy an additional turrent to hold another set of dies in another caliber and swap it out rather quickly. Its still a single stage process, but alot of time is saved by not having to change out dies for every step AND it is faster to get going than reconfiguring a progressive press.

So, given my situation: amount of ammo shot, space considerations, etc. would a turrent press be better for me than spending alot of setup time on my progressive press? TIA

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think most progressive presses these days can be changed just as easily if you buy an extra toolhead for each caliber, you can also buy an additional powder measure for each and swap very quickly.

I think for the amount you shoot, progressive is the only real option, unless you have a lot of time on your hands.

Mike

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to check into that. I've heard good things about Dillon 550. I guess i just had a bad experience with a progressive press. When one little thing goes wrong it stops the whole operation. I'm also thinking progressive is more then what I need. 400 rounds a week isn't a whole lot (this is for 2 people). Usually 200 rounds of 9mm and 200 rounds of 40, I'm planning on getting a 45 GAP or ACP. Its like setting up/starting up a printing press for 20 copies.

Here's another question...why do reloaders buy "once used" or even brand new brass when you can just buy WWB and reuse the brass?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
As far as new brass is concerned, some people like to know exactly what has been shot out of each casing every time. Fewer unknown commodities, I guess.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dillon is pretty much the standard according to most folks. Here's a page from the manual of the RL550B that shows the removable toolhead: http://www.dillonhelp.com/rl550benglish/toolhead_dies.htm

As far as ammo use, I'd say your using a pretty fair amount. Dillon says the 550 can do 5-600 rounds an hour, so you'd spend about an hour a week loading up. In order to minimize the changeovers, you'd probably want to do it in larger batches, rather then loading the smaller amount of each caliber every week. For example, one day spend a couple of hours and load up 1000 rounds of 9mm, then take another session and do 1000 of .40. You could have all your rounds for the month done in a day.

Now, you could do all this on a single-stage or turret loader, it's just a matter of what you want to do with your time. Some folks find it very relaxing to sit down and spend a few hours loading, but some folks find it a chore. You just have to go with what is best for you.

Of course you have to do the math and see if you are actually saving any money. Often 9mm can be purchased for almost what it would cost to reload. You can get better quality if you reload though.

Mike

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, I think I'll look into that Dillion, that toolhead looks like it would be a big timesaver. And your right, I need to load up on some more brass and do larger runs to save some time, rather than doing just enough to shoot. Only problem with that, is that if I have ammo available I know I'll shoot it up! Heard it a hundred times...you don't really save money buy reloading, because you shoot more.

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
I just ordered the L-N-L AP for $300.00 from Cabela's. I spent way too much time researching progressive loaders which included Dillon 550, Hornady L-N-L, RCBS Pro 2000 and the Lee Pro 1000. The run off was between RCBS and the LNL.

I was in Billings for a gun show and went to a store that had the RCBS Pro 2000. Some pimply faced kid tried to do a snow job on me. It really bugs me to deal with clueless salesmen. After listening to his BS, I asked him if there was anyone in the store who knew what he was talking about. He wandered off and talked to an older guy but no one ever came back to me. I read the manual for a little while and became increasingly disqusted, threw the manual on the floor and walked out. It really bugs me. I'm there, I want to spend money and then get ignored. The price was the best I've seen on the RCBS, $300.00.

I went back and forth between the Hornady and RCBS. The LNL has auto indexing, the RCBS is manual. I don't think it's that big of a deal. I mean, you're going from a single stage press (I do 60 rounds/hour of 40 S&W on my old Rockchucker) to a progressive! I wouldn't mind manualing advancing the shell plate. The LNL dies are OK, I guess. Quick to change out. The die plate on the RCBS is a quick change as well. You can set up the Hornady for auto case feed but I don't see the need for it for me.

I considered the Lee for a bit until I ran across a thread somehere about the shabby way the owner treated one of his customers. Also, there is only a 2 year warranty on the Lee and it just looks "light duty". From all the reading I did from folks who used different presses, the Lee kind of came out on the bottom. Of course, at the other end, is the religous cult of Dillon users. I'm sure they're great machines and sure have a loyal following but I felt that either the RCBS or Hornady would suit me better. I liked the fact that the owner's manual is online for the Hornady. I really got a kick out of their auto voice messaging system. It's worth the call to:
800-338-3220.

WyoBob

·
Registered
260 Posts
"But for the same money you can et dillon square b with dies if your only going to do pistol loads"
The Square B uses special dies. I already have the diesand they won't fit the Square B and I didn't want to have to buy another set of dies. Plus, I will probably reload for my 44 and maybe a rifle down the road.

WyoBob

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know i'm new to this sight, which kicks [email protected]# i might add, going to get my 2nd XD ( XD .40 SC) sometime next month. Also I have to say that I've had my DILLON RL-550B for 6 years now and put at least 100,000 rounds (9mm, .40, .45 ACP) through it without a single problem. When I first got my press all I had to get was the 9mm dies of my choice, i got RCBS carbide die set. When you need another caliber you can get a package deal from DILLON called "The Quick Change Assembly" for $73.95, it comes with a POWEDR MEASURE, TOOL HEAD, POWDER DIE and TOOL HEAD STAND and all you need to get are the dies and the conversion kit. The price buying these items separately is around $91.00 plus the conversion kit and dies. Never again will you have to remove the powder measure to put it on another caliber tool head and readjust the weight. It takes about 3 minutes to cange tool heads. Very user friendly and the tool head stands don't take up much space at all. I recoment it highly. I also did alot of research before i got the 550B. I looked at Dillon, Redding, Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, Lee and MEC. I finally went with the Dillon. Just my 2 cents worth. Ok maby 25 cents. LOL!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts