Turkey season | Springfield XD Forum

Turkey season

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Knucklebuster, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Mar 25, 2020 #1
    Knucklebuster

Knucklebuster XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0
    Opener for our turkey season in NC is closing in fast.
    I am not at home full time since I work on a farm but out hours have been cut back so I can say that this season is the most prepared I have been in awhile.
    Vest is loaded with all the favorite calls, decoys ready and guns cleaned. Haven’t shot the crossbow yet but that’s next.
    I think this year I will try to get one using a .410 double barrel. I will have to wait until later in the season when it greens up so I can get within 15 yards.
    After grand slamming 4 times, each time in one season (lots of travel) I decided a few years ago to retire my usual turkey gun and go with something that puts a little skill back into it. My mossberg 835 was taking them out to 70 yards.
    I switched to an old single shot 2 3/4 12 gauge with a 36 inch barrel that belonged to my great grandfather and haven’t had a single regret. I love getting them in as close as possible.
    What are you guys and gals toting this year for hardware?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mar 26, 2020 #2
    Acheron2010

Acheron2010 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +3,490 / 13
    Nice memories of hunting in Tennessee. Getting just the right shotgun, pattern testing various loads/manufacturers, just the right camo with gloves, hat and mask and vest, those great waterproof boots. Then practicing the calls, scouting the lands, learning how to move quiet, the best way to be still and comfortable. Getting there early, moving to the best site, settling down, making calls, waiting, waiting, waiting..finally packing it all up and going home.
    Carrying the shotgun back into the house, and a flight of fat turkeys comes out of the thicket and crosses the driveway in front of you. Ya just gotta smile at God's sense of humor.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Mar 26, 2020 #3
    Knucklebuster

Ratings:
    +475 / 0
    Very true.
    Most of my friends that I take turkey hunting call and ask if I’m going going hiking with shotguns in the morning.

It’s certainly one of my favorite times to be afield. Winter is leaving, the green is returning and the exercise is much needed after a winter of getting fat on the freezer full of fall game and garden veggies we canned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mar 27, 2020 #4
    Huski92

Huski92 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +139 / 0
    I have a tag, but not gonna make it this year. I have some time off, but it’s not optimal. I will miss it, but there is always next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mar 31, 2020 #5
    Knucklebuster

Ratings:
    +475 / 0

Bummer. I guess with the corona virus this year that I will get a ton of time in the turkey woods. Social distancing at its finest.
    Caught these guys in my front yard the other day, I usually save the house birds for kids, guest or the end of the season if I haven’t filled a tag. 2A7D6750-B8A9-4451-A667-260A85D68772.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Apr 3, 2020 #6
    Knucklebuster

Ratings:
    +475 / 0
    5CD8A3EB-55BA-48A9-98DC-0B94661E58C6.jpeg

These fellas showed up this morning. Took the pic through my dirty back door window.
    I hope they hang around for awhile, would make a great hunt for a kid or a first time turkey hunter.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Apr 4, 2020 #7
    John A.

John A. XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +2,061 / 14
    My 7 year old son got a turkey with a .410 and 2-1/2" #6 several years ago. It will kill them just as dead as any other shotgun because they're not wearing armor, you just have to get them in a little closer is all.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Apr 5, 2020 #8
    Knucklebuster

Ratings:
    +475 / 0
    That’s awesome, I bet he was pumped up!
    Lots of folks don’t realize that it boils down to pellet count. A #4 shot at 1150 FPS will have the same amount of energy from a .410 as a 12 gauge does. The 12 gauge just has more pellets which means more chances of landing a pellet in the kill zone at yardage.
    We opted for hevi X loads this year in #6. The TSS stuff is the way to go but, most places are out of stock and at 25-28$ dollars for 5 shells it’s a bit pricey.
    They pattern good and hit harder than lead at half the price.

• Like Like x 1