1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
316 Posts
I don't have a .45, but from what I have read, their ammo is fine for practice.

The only reason I don't use it at the range, is because my range doesn't allow steel casing.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Any thoughts on this Russian made stuff?

AMM-5290 - Ammo .45 Auto TulAmmo FMJ 230 Grain 50 Round Box Made in Russia 850 fps Steel Cased Polymer coated.

There's not much difference in the price of their 9mm vs the regular stuff, but the .45 price is ridiculous!

I'm thinking about buying a .45 so I'm interested in knowing if this ammo functions well in 1911s, XD45s, or other .45 handguns. It has mixed reviews, but with the price of .45 it would be about the only way to regularly shoot it.
Well, not the only way. It's why many of us reload. Once you get beyond a 9mm, ammo gets stupidly pricey & all service calibers load the same cost but for the bullet. For $250+ shipping you can buy 1000rds of cheap Tula, shoot it & repeat. For about $700, you can get a LNL or 550B, have it for life & shoot high quality 45acp for about $125/10000. With the 45acp, doesn't take long to get you gear cost back. BTW, you can reload that 1000rds in less than 3hrs.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would be awesome to have reloading gear, but I'd raise all that money and be too tempted to buy more guns :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
i shoot it out of my 45s but my 1911 is a little too picky for it

·
Registered
671 Posts
TulAmmo i've found to be rather "okay" in my AR15 (the .223 stuff). However, after it heats up a bit, the cases start to stick and I have to poke them out with a cleaning rod. Out of maybe...120 rounds I had 3 stick. Pretty dirty too...but can't beat the price at walmart.
I've run it in my .45 without issue though.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
TulAmmo i've found to be rather "okay" in my AR15 (the .223 stuff). However, after it heats up a bit, the cases start to stick and I have to poke them out with a cleaning rod. Out of maybe...120 rounds I had 3 stick. Pretty dirty too...but can't beat the price at walmart.
I've run it in my .45 without issue though.
Funny you would settle for ok because it's cheap if you have to use a cleaning rod to remove cases from you semiauto.:shock: You guys really need to learn to reload.;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
TulAmmo worked without any failure in 45 for my XD(m) and my friends XD(m) 45 4.5 over about 500 rounds. Since it is some of the cheapest ammo, I am going to buy a case. My AR-15 was a bit picky with the TulAmmo in .223, but that could be a problem with my gas block/tube alignment.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Funny you would settle for ok because it's cheap if you have to use a cleaning rod to remove cases from you semiauto.:shock: You guys really need to learn to reload.;)

Fred, he may have some oddball condition going on with his rifle, but.... Typically the stuck round condition is due to a dirty chamber or lube in the chamber or a combonation of both. Heat plus the finish on the case along with carbon will mix with lube and dry and become very sticky.

Easily fixed, and if it is, then it is verymuch worth it to shoot steel cases..

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
Fred, sorry, but I think you're way off on this one.

I honestly don't know how many thousands--or tens of thousands--of rounds of various steelcased ammo I've fired through various pistols and rifles with no issues. Never a stuck case, not once. In fact, the only stuck cases I've had are with brass cased ammo, not steel.

Steecased ammo is perfect fodder for high round count classes where brass collection just ain't gonna happen. And if a rifle--AR--can chew through 500-1000 rounds of it in a day with minimal or no cleaning, and any pistol that I'd consider fit for defense can do the same...I think that the "stuck case" comment is simply propagating a myth.

You are, however, spot on with the reloading...but at the same time, sometimes cheap & disposable is not a bad thing in one's ammo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts