Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 50 round box of Tula .40 S&W ammo yesterday.......didn't realize it was steel casing.

Most of the ranges around me prohibit steel cased ammunition. Luckily an outdoor range doesn't have a restriction on these. So at least I won't be out $17.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Why would a range prohibit steel cased ammunition fired through your personal firearm? I've heard of them not allowing steel cased ammunition in their rentals.

Are you sure they aren't referring to steel jacketed ammunition?

·
Registered
263 Posts
They are probably doing it because they can't reload it and in that case they probably don't let you pick up your own brass, do they?

I'm also glad you didn't pay $17 for the ammo since I think .45 is only $15. I love Tula for my 1911 since it's so cheap.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure. The place where I purchase my XDM from says this for prohibited ammuniton

"Steel Cased Ammunition, such as Wolf"

This is similar to others in the area. I would suspect that its what gth said. Unable to reload it.

Personally I clean up my own spent casings after use.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Why would a range prohibit steel cased ammunition fired through your personal firearm? I've heard of them not allowing steel cased ammunition in their rentals.

Are you sure they aren't referring to steel jacketed ammunition?
They don't want to sort/cull the brass. I think there was an early thought that steel cased ammo also had a steel cored bullet. Some myths die hard.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The reason some ranges don't allow Wolf/Tula is because it's a steel JACKETED round with a thin copper coating. The steel jacket does not do well with some backstops such as the indoor range I frequent. The friction from the steel jacket on the backstop has even cause small fires to spark up when used, that is why there is a strict "no wolf/tula/ other steel JACKETED" ammo rule in place.

Phillip

·
Registered
316 Posts
The reason some ranges don't allow Wolf/Tula is because it's a steel JACKETED round with a thin copper coating. The steel jacket does not do well with some backstops such as the indoor range I frequent. The friction from the steel jacket on the backstop has even cause small fires to spark up when used, that is why there is a strict "no wolf/tula/ other steel JACKETED" ammo rule in place.

Phillip
I'm glad to see someone else understands the correct reason! Thank you! I explained this in another post. It has absolutely nothing to do with brass and reloading.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Phillip

Thank you for the information. Very helpful.

·
Registered
263 Posts

Phillip
Ohhh, makes sense. I was wondering why I was seeing a lot of sparks when shooting the past few weeks. My indoor range doesn't have that restriction though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts