Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a box of this junk lying around and decided to take it with me to the range the other day. I knew when I was feeding it in the magazine I was asking for trouble but against my better judgement I decided to shoot it anyway. Now I have a squib lodged in the barrel in my 9mm XDM. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get it out without messing up the threading in the barrel? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
First off Tula ammo is not crap. Squibs happen with ammo I've seen it happen with hornady CD, Winchester and federal ammo. There are several posts on this forum where it's happened with other ammo.

Use a wooden dowel to hammer the bullet out. By the way it's not threads it's rifling.

·
Registered
213 Posts
What has worked in the past is to disassemble the pistol. Insert a wood dowel from the chamber and lightly tap to push the round out the muzzle. Maybe someone else has a better idea. I would love to hear it.

·
Registered
29,606 Posts
It's a squib, they happen...I've also seen 'em with pretty much every brand of ammo, including premium JHP's. Nothing to get one's undies bunched over.

BTW--unless you have a custom barrel, it is not "threaded". It is rifled.

And the suggestions to simply use a wooden dowel and push it from the chamber to the muzzle is correct. If it is very close to either end, you can make it easier by carefully drilling a small hole (1/8 or so) through the center of the bullet so it will collapse slightly and move easier.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
if driving it towards the muzzle be sure to put the muzzle end on a soft piece of pine to protect it

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Never had a squib, but a friend just purchased a Russian Tokarev, and some really old surplus ammo (1954 headstamp) ... About every third round required cocking and pulling the trigger again.

Best of luck with the squib .. Beat the dowel, well, and don't use something other than wood, or plastic to get the bullet out.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Never had a squib, but a friend just purchased a Russian Tokarev, and some really old surplus ammo (1954 headstamp) ... About every third round required cocking and pulling the trigger again.

Best of luck with the squib .. Beat the dowel, well, and don't use something other than wood, or plastic to get the bullet out.
Have him remove the fire control group and soak it in strong solvent (I use lacquer thinner) over night. There is probably still some cosmo in it. If there is still issue, he needs to take the firing pin out and clean it and the channel. Or he can soak it in the solvent. I had similar issues until I soaked both my FCG and entire slide. Since then, it will pop off ever thing it's been fed. None of which is as young as that 1954 ammo your buddy has!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I deal with ALL of the major US ammo makers and some NATO contractors. You are correct all ammo makers have squib loads and all ammo makers have rounds that go KABOOM from time to time. The major domestic producers I know of who have had KABOOMS have made it right with the customer when the documentation was there.

Based on what i do for a living, I will not run Russian ammo in anything other than a cheap surplus weapon. That's just my opinion and no slam against anyone who does now.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Have him remove the fire control group and soak it in strong solvent (I use lacquer thinner) over night. There is probably still some cosmo in it. If there is still issue, he needs to take the firing pin out and clean it and the channel. Or he can soak it in the solvent. I had similar issues until I soaked both my FCG and entire slide. Since then, it will pop off ever thing it's been fed. None of which is as young as that 1954 ammo your buddy has!
NO ... It's the ammo.

The stuff did the same thing in my Tok, and my ammo worked fine in her gun.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
It appears that this post has been Hi-Jacked.
True enough ... But what more can you say about removing a squib round from a barrel ;)

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
More importantly...
How did Osprey12 "just happen" to have a box of Tula laying around?? A Gift from the Russian Ammo Fairy? Left by the former tenants? :D [JK]

·
Registered
93 Posts
My main problem with Tula in 9mm anyways has been hard primers and a few dud's. Won't buy it anymore. It may of just been a recent lot. But to me their are better choices out there for the money.

·
Registered
130 Posts
sbrader is correct. Use a wooden dowel to tap the bullet out breach to muzzle. You may want use lube to help it along. Drop some lube in back of the stuck bullet and run a lubed patch through the front. When the slug comes out, keep it. You can use it later if you need to measure the actual size of the lands and groves.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
If you aren't paying attention and accidently fire another round, would it shoot out, or rupture the barrel?
That's a 50-50 kind of thing, you might get lucky, but my thought is you'd probably have a catastrophic failure.

The barrel is already plugged, so at the least you'd probably end up with a bulged barrel, and at worst ... No hand :shock:

It has happened !!!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I have shot at least 500 rds of tula in 9mm, 40, 45 in the last 5 months. glock 26 xdm xd 45 and pt 1911. I have not had a single issue in caliber or gun. squibs happen in all ammo from what i have seen. keep shooting it, under 10 bucks for 9mm under 15 for 40 and 45.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Ive never had any trouble out of the tula...maybe a few failure to feed issues out of a gen 4 glock. Shoots a little dirty, definately alot dirty in the .45. I'll continue to buy it. But I normally just shoot federal for plinking. I've not been buying it lately due to me starting to grow an iterest in reloading (so I've been saving my casings) and there is no need to save the steel cases.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Had my share of squibs, 3 squib rounds in a single session, all got stuck in the bore, but the first thing you'll notice on squibs are the absence of bang and the presence of somewhat thick smoke coming from the port, thinking at first that it was just a dud, i drop the mag, then ejected the round and found out that only the brass came out so i quickly disassembled and had the RO remove the slug.BTW, all of the ammo are range reloads.:(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts