Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the plastic case in which the XD's are delivered meet the TSA requirements for a "hard case" for transport inside luggage when flying? They can be locked for security, but does the case itself meet the "hard side" requirement? I've seen third-party cases with aluminum frames which meet the requirement, but is that type of case required? Tnx. Bp

·
Registered
80 Posts
I flew to Vegas last summer on Southwest & checked a pistol in a cheap plastic "hard" case. They only required that it have a lock. When I got to Vegas, I found that I had lost the keys to the lock. The case was so cheap that I simply pried the side apart & dropped the gun out. I would suggest checking with the airline you ill be flying with to get their requirements.

They did require me to have the ammo in the original ammo box & not in the case with the gun.

John

·
Registered
265 Posts
Does the plastic case in which the XD's are delivered meet the TSA requirements for a "hard case" for transport inside luggage when flying? They can be locked for security, but does the case itself meet the "hard side" requirement? I've seen third-party cases with aluminum frames which meet the requirement, but is that type of case required? Tnx. Bp
I don't think the XD case will pass (unless you get lucky), maybe the XDm case will. On a phone now I will more info and pictures later.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Springfield has used a variety of cases, in regards to quality/strength, over the years. The XDs45 case is very nicely made...best one of the 4 cases I have sitting on the shelf (from Springfield). I would not hesitate to use that one for airline travel.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I don't think the XD case will pass (unless you get lucky), maybe the XDm case will. On a phone now I will more info and pictures later.
Now later...
When I looked into the requirements, I learned it needed to be a rigid case (metal or hard durable plastic) that could not be pried open even when locked, and it must have two locks. Also the gun must be unloaded. IMO this rules out the standard XD case. I do not own an XDm or XDs so I'm not sure about those cases. I purchased this Pelican case from Amazon a few years back for packing two pistols. I see the price has increased some. Some of the airlines sell (or use to) hard cases for packing guns. It seems like they were very pricy at about $80.

I would certainly error on the side of durability and security and not risk a cheap or flimsy case because if you get lucky and the case passes inspection on your out-going flight, it may not on your return flight.

I attached a few pictures of my air travel case with guns. The Pelican case came with a pluck foam insert so I was able to customize it to fit my XD sub 40 and LCP along with 5 mags (2 XD, 3 LCP)

My loaded case consists of:
- Pelican 1170 case
- 2 standard luggage locks (non TSA approved)
- Unloaded XD sub 40
- 1 standard mag
- 1 extended mag
- Unloaded LCP
- LCP pocket holster
- 1 LCP mag in foam insert
- 2 LCP mags in dual mag pouch

You will see I lay my holstered LCP on top of my XD, the the dual LCP mag pouch on top of my XD mags. The locked case then goes in a checked bag. TSA places a orange "Firearms Unloaded" tag inside my checked bag.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Make sure to use cable to lock around your case into your bag

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Now later...
When I looked into the requirements, I learned it needed to be a rigid case (metal or hard durable plastic) that could not be pried open even when locked, and it must have two locks. Also the gun must be unloaded. IMO this rules out the standard XD case. I do not own an XDm or XDs so I'm not sure about those cases. I purchased this Pelican case from Amazon a few years back for packing two pistols. I see the price has increased some. Some of the airlines sell (or use to) hard cases for packing guns. It seems like they were very pricy at about $80.

I would certainly error on the side of durability and security and not risk a cheap or flimsy case because if you get lucky and the case passes inspection on your out-going flight, it may not on your return flight.

I attached a few pictures of my air travel case with guns. The Pelican case came with a pluck foam insert so I was able to customize it to fit my XD sub 40 and LCP along with 5 mags (2 XD, 3 LCP)

My loaded case consists of:
- Pelican 1170 case
- 2 standard luggage locks (non TSA approved)
- Unloaded XD sub 40
- 1 standard mag
- 1 extended mag
- Unloaded LCP
- LCP pocket holster
- 1 LCP mag in foam insert
- 2 LCP mags in dual mag pouch

You will see I lay my holstered LCP on top of my XD, the the dual LCP mag pouch on top of my XD mags. The locked case then goes in a checked bag. TSA places a orange "Firearms Unloaded" tag inside my checked bag.

Yep, this is what I have for when I travel in Sept.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts