Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has always enjoyed pistols, but never owned one of his own larger than .22. I bought a range officer earlier this year and after he has shot it a few times he wants a 1911 of his own. A friend of the family has a kimber custom II (ducks unlimited edition) and a para stainless match (also DU) that he has won over the years. I read some nasty things about kimbers (gritty triggers, not shooting to the sights, non-function due to fps) and also know some people that really like theirs. is either one worth buying? The kimber would probably around 800 the para at 600.

I feel the para is overpriced at 600, and told him the kimber would be my choice. What do you guys thinK? Both are 5-6 years old and hardly shot. The other option is to tell him to just buy a new gun, in which case he likes the RO and probably wouldn't take much convincing.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I'd say let him get the RO. You will have one more thing to bond with and enjoy with your dad. I'm jealous.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
look around for a Rock Island...literally best bang for the buck in entry 1911s

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
If your friends Kimber runs reliably go ahead and get it. The issue with Kimbers is they can be a bit of a crap shoot, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I knew the seller and knew the gun ran reliably.

Also, a Kimber is about an 800 gun in my opinion so you're paying the right price.

I agree the Para is overpriced.

If you go new a Range Officer is a great bargain. If he wants to spend a bit more I'd suggest passing on the Loaded RO's and get a TRP.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
A kimber that runs good is a great pistol. In that ball park he can find a gently used TLE and have just about everything you could want feature wise on a 1911.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the opinions, I will bring up the tle and the trp. I want a trp but don't have the funds. He isn't on as tight of a budget as I am. I think he wants to help this guy out and may be set on buying one of his guns. The kimber we can shoot before he buys it, is there anything to look out for? Will running 50-100 rounds be enough to make a decision?

And he is just looking for a plinking/target gun. Maybe carried sometimes, but out in the hills.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Thanks for the opinions, I will bring up the tle and the trp. I want a trp but don't have the funds. He isn't on as tight of a budget as I am. I think he wants to help this guy out and may be set on buying one of his guns. The kimber we can shoot before he buys it, is there anything to look out for? Will running 50-100 rounds be enough to make a decision?

And he is just looking for a plinking/target gun. Maybe carried sometimes, but out in the hills.
If the Kimber runs, the trigger feels crisp, and it's accurate I'd say go for it. If it's jamming, the trigger has creep and grit, and it's not really accurate I'd pass. 50-100 rounds would do it, mix up the brands to have an idea of how it functions.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the Kimber runs, the trigger feels crisp, and it's accurate I'd say go for it. If it's jamming, the trigger has creep and grit, and it's not really accurate I'd pass. 50-100 rounds would do it, mix up the brands to have an idea of how it functions.
Thank you, I will pass that on to him.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
****, if he wants to drop the extra coin on a TRP, it's a no brainer. It's hard to get much better than that really.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I would wait til Christmas and see what deals Slick Guns has to offer. Last year when i was looking for my first 1911 Slick Guns had all kinds of great deals on the 1911. Kimbers , Springfield , and RIA were featured as deals for like a month.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Personally I'd go with a new 1911 for a first 1911 unless you now for sure that the gun has not been modified. I love the TRP but I do think the checkering is a bit too aggressive. Make sure he at least handles one first. Don't believe everything you read about Kimbers. There is as lot of anti Kimber ranting out there. Yes, some Kimbers may require more breakin than other 1911s, mine was one of them.

Visit a shop/range where you can handle and shoot them. I'd probably go with a new RO like yours since he likes it.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I second the RIA. You get a whole lot of gun for the money and it leaves you a lot of room for upgrades, ammo, spare mags, etc.

ETA: for the extra money the tactical line is worth it IMHO.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
A fullsize RIA Tactical in whatever caliber he wants would be a solid choice.

I honestly think the Kimber and Para his friend is trying to sell are overpriced. Who cares about "limited edition" branding unless you're really into the stuff? Personal opinion there, sorry.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
A fullsize RIA Tactical in whatever caliber he wants would be a solid choice.

I honestly think the Kimber and Para his friend is trying to sell are overpriced. Who cares about "limited edition" branding unless you're really into the stuff? Personal opinion there, sorry.

Nothing to be sorry about. The dad wnts a 1911 to enjoy shooting. In this instance it would seem silly to pay a "premium" for a limited edition pistol. For the bucks I would look at a Kimber TlE. To save money for ammo and upgrades I would go for a RIA. With the RIA he would have a "starter" 1911 that would be reliable and accurate that would teach him a lot about 1911s. It may then guide him to a second 1911 that would be an "upgrade" or he could play with modifying the RIA. IMO the RIA would be the best bet because nothing beats having a good 1911 and then adding to it (10-8 battle sight, gold bead front sight etc.). That also leaves a lot of money for mags, ammo, holsters, and the mods.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I wouldn't pay the money for a Kimber...I have seen a couple where there was too much play in the slide to frame fit.

RIA, even if it does have a little play, I can live with for 3-400 less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
kimber custom ii For Sale ? Buy kimber custom ii Online at GunBroker.com

The Kimber (custom is a title never been in the custom shop btw) is 830 new, so if it runs 100 rounds without ever tap rack banging or jiggling or anything its worth 600 tops.

para stainless match For Sale ? Buy para stainless match Online at GunBroker.com

Para is 800 new, so again 600 tops but resale due to brand names not there would put it at 500. IMO paras are part guns poorly put together and are going straight to a smith to make them run.

If he wants something pretty, and the Kimber runs Kimbers are darn pretty and when they run they keep running.

The ducks unlimited adds absolutely nothing to the value cause they have been shot.

I would much rather get a range officer or one of these ARMSCOR ROCK ISLAND 2011 45ACP 1911 8RD 5" VZ GRIP : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com with or without the rail (with rail you can put on a light but finding aholster would be a nightmare) the red fiber optic front sight is easier for older eyes to pick up, the VZ operator grips are the most sought after grips in the 1911 market, they are smooth enough to carry and rough enough to give you good recoil dispersion and return to zero firing (I love mine) they are $100 grips, 5 years ago a 1911 with similar qualities would have been 1300+

IMO get the rock island armory VZ series without the rail, from a dealer it should be about 575 or so put a strip of tread tape on the front strap ($10 at your hardware store for a life supply) and more mags and ammo, wilson combat or chip mccormick mags.

Then after that understand whatever 1911 you get has a 20% of not working out of the box (kimbers case worse) and if it has a issue you must find a 1911 SMITH, not a gunsmith a 1911 only smith.

·
Registered
100 Posts
look around for a Rock Island...literally best bang for the buck in entry 1911s
This. I have one and it's seen thousands of rounds. Not 1 single problem out of it.

As for the 2 you're choosing from, I've heard good things from Kimber. My Brother-in-law just got one. That thing shoots great. Not sure about the RO though. From what I've heard, they're great guns as well.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update, he offered 800 for the kimber. It shoots great, trigger could use a little work but it's not bad. The gentleman said he would take no less than 1000 for it. Now mind you, the limited edition was in no way a selling point, the seller is just a guy that attends lots of banquets and those were the guns he had for sale.
The para was also du.

Needless to say dad passed. He is not interested in rock island. He has shot several of them and says the ones he has shot rattled in his hand. (Slide-frame fit I think) there is a range officer available locally for him if he wants. He asked what extras I would like on mine after shooting it for 6 months. I told him I wish it was more finished. I would like to have a textured front strap, a finish (not perkerized) and some other cosmetics.

Thanks for your help, I will let you know wheb he makes a decision.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts