Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Haven't decided on which one to get. Stuck between the 4'' gap and the 4'' 9mm. Rented a 4'' 40 today and shot about 100 rnds through it, then about 50 rnds through a hk 40 compact usp. Was leaning towards the gap but none around to rent. Was curious if anyone has had a chance to shoot the full assortment and could give me any feed back as far as recoil comparison between the 40 and gap. Had no problems with either gun today. Was running win. 185 flats. Liked both as far as accuracy and feel. Had a couple of fliers with both, but I'm still learning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the 40. cant give info on the gap but the 40 is enough to put a badguy down in my book.also you can get ammo at the walmart for the 40 good luck

·
Registered
94 Posts
I recall reading somewhere on here several posts stating that the gap recoil is very comparable to the 40 recoil. Not to say that the 40 isn't snappy, but it is absolutely controllable.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If this is going to be your first time, I'd go with a girl. :lol:

Seriously though, I've been very interested in the 45GAP since I've read about the round in G&A. I'm just waiting for SA to come out with the XD45GAP sub.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Stickles01 said:
If this is going to be your first time, I'd go with a girl. :lol:

Seriously though, I've been very interested in the 45GAP since I've read about the round in G&A. I'm just waiting for SA to come out with the XD45GAP sub.
XD GAP sub that would be worht purchasing...I am not a fan of the .45GAP but in a sub XD..........ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........interesting.
9mm ammo is cheaper so you can shoot more!
Either way you cannot go wrong.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Look at the price in ammo. It is not even close. I would get the 9mm for sure. I am not impressed with GLOCK Automatic Pistol round (GAP).

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do have small hands, and that is why I'm mainly looking at the xd line. I have shot a slew of my buddy's guns. Went through a small portion of his collection. Started with the 45's in the para carry 12, and the carry single stack, then the colt 8pack commander. The 40's were the s&w 99, sig 226 i think, then it was to the 9mms. The beretta 92f, sig 229?, and then the awesome hk p7m8, what a trigger!! I'm looking at initial price, want to go new to insure no warranty issues to deal with, and also cost of ammo. I heard or read somewhere that the usmc bought 10,000 or was it 1,000 of the 45gap, I'm not sure if they went glock or what, excuse my french with the g word. I know its a nice quality gun, it just doesn't feel right in my hand, and some of the safety issues don't sit well with me. As far as the usmc purchase, I felt if that does happen it could put the gap on another level as far as more people buying into the idea of a small framed large bore option. So many choices. I'll keep watching the responses and see if I can dig up a xd gap to fire and try and get on with hitting some bulls and going for the ccw eventually.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I think its kinda funny that Springfield jumped on the GAP so fast. Look above to see what it stands for. :lol:

You between those two you should get .40.

I personally have a 9mm because that is what my wallet affords me. I could have gotten bigger but couldnt practice as much.

Between 9mm and .45 the power is in the practice, if I had a .45 I wouldnt have near as much practice and it wouldnt do me a bit of good except to scare people away.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think we all go through a similar dilemma. Ultimately, I decided on an XD-40 Standard. Here were my considerations:

Hand size- I have thick hands that render me with the same effectiveness as having small hands. I thought I was going to purchase a Glock for sure until I held one and said uh-oh. The XD's grip fits far better ergonomically in my hand. I use my middle finger on the ambidextrous magazine release.

9mm or Not? - I wanted my XD to be an all-around gun, with a slight emphasis on survival out in the woods. I hike a lot and have encountered several beasts on and off-trail. It is for the potential of needing to defend myself against a large animal that I leaned towards the .40. If it were just for home-defense, a 9mm would have been my choice. If you don't take your gun out in the woods, I'd stick with the 9mm.

By the way, you realize just how long it takes to reach in your pocket and unfold your Buck Alpha knife in order to defend against a bobcat perfectly perched to pounce on a ledge about 10 feet above your head on a dense trail - WAY TOO LONG! I've carried my XD-40 ever since.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Don't be fool by the fad of the GAP. Ammo is too expensive to plink. The ballistics offer the same performance as the .45, but when the rounds cost twice as much as my .45, I will stick with the .45.

I think that the .45 GAP is kind of like the .357 sig. Both are expensive and hard to find. When SHTF, 9mm and .22lr will be reddy available and some .45's, but not the designer stuff.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Have you ever priced GAP ammo. It's $18.99 (50 box) for the cheap stuff. TWICE cost of .45 ACP.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, am I getting this right? My best option to go with would be with the 40 to keep some size, yet ammo would be alot more reasonable. I did like the feel of the 40 round. Is the mag. capacity 12 on the 4'' 40 or is it more? Thanks for the feedback !!!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Waldo said:
I think its kinda funny that Springfield jumped on the GAP so fast. Look above to see what it stands for. :lol:

You between those two you should get .40.

I personally have a 9mm because that is what my wallet affords me. I could have gotten bigger but couldnt practice as much.

Between 9mm and .45 the power is in the practice, if I had a .45 I wouldnt have near as much practice and it wouldnt do me a bit of good except to scare people away.
Not a bad move from Spingfield. in going with the Gap they do not have to redo the frame. It will work on a standard .40 frame. with a .45 they would have had to make it a bit longer. Personaly i hate it that they dont make it in a .45acp. if they did i would buy two more right now. i personaly dont want any part of a GAP and dont see the reason for it. i have to many .45acp's to change over.

·
Registered
93 Posts
While I love my .45, I started with a 9, moved to .40 and then to .45. I think you' re well off with the .40 if you can shoot accurately with it. If you're just getting acquainted with the platform and handgunning in general, you're going to want lots of practice and cheaper ammo.

-FGJ

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought both the Glock 38 45GAP and a XD Tactical 45 GAP with in the past week. (Although I had to us VISA card to do it.) The recoil isn't that bad on the GAP but if I had to do it over I would have bought the 40 Tactical instead. When you stop to think about it with the 40 you can buy after market 357Sig barrels and also 9mm barrels to fit a XD 40 slide. Hell you would have 3 guns in one. But you have to use 9mm mags when shooting 9mm, the 40mags works perfect with 357Sig.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I'll have to wait till after vacation now, but I'll get the purchase permit going and get a set price and dealer when I return. Be safe out there and Happy XDing to you all. Really can't thank you all enough for the valuable input, and hopefully we'll be posting some pics of some 40 bitone action shortly after the vacation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts