Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I should say I bought the XD-M with use of home protection. It was after shooting it, and carrying it openly in the paddle holster waiting for someone to grab at it, that I decided to replace the holster. And I thought... I'm a big big guy, I could conceal this thing... So I bit the bullet and threw in for a Crossbreed Super Tuck, and so far, it's amazingly comfortable.

However, as you might guess, the thing prints. It loves to print. It lives to print. At least at 3-4 o'clock.

I am 6'10, 330 lbs, with more of a tire than I'd like but I'm certainly not obese. I wear loose clothing, and typically carry with an untucked shirt.

The only position I've found that will not print except when I sit down is 5:30 with maximum cant. While I've practiced this draw a bit, it feels too much like a SOB carry.

My question is: with a bit of a tire, are there any tips you can provide about carrying closer to 4 o'clock without printing, with the XD-M 4.5" .45?

Yeah, I know I should get a smaller gun that works better for CCW, but I have this one, I love this one, and 5:30 carry works better for me than a 2nd pistol I can't afford right now. Just trying to make the best of concealing this one.

·
Registered
897 Posts

Full size XD9 w a crossbreed and I'm a skinny rail. 6'3" 160 lbs. wearing an easily printable shirt. So w your extra 170 lbs to hide it you should be fine.

"I miss America"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What angle do you have the holster positioned at?

My problem, I think, is my lack of skinny. The aforementioned tire pushes the top out just a bit, and causes the gun-butt to print (only part that does). I could likely get away with this, but I'd prefer no-print over some-print if I can get it... As long as I can still draw it.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
You are a big ass guy. That is all.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
You are a big ass guy. That is all.
^this
Someone did a write up of chopping the frame. Then it would be able to take compact mags with the longer barrel length. Similar to if you put one of the frames from a compact onto a competition model. I have a picture of my compact frame on my comp slide and vice versa.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Just curious what type of belt you are wearing? If you are not using a good thick and stiff gun belt your "tire" might be pushing the grip outward. I am 6'1" and around 210 pounds and my Supertuck allows me to completely conceal my XDm 4.5 9mm with my shirts tucked in and bloused (even with just a T-shirt). I carry at the 4 o'clock position. My pants are one size larger than needed and I wear a good thick belt. With my belt tightened, the Supertuck keeps the grip of my XDm tucked in against my body. It is very comfortable and even my wife has to ask "Have you got it with you?"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that's precisely what's happening. Sounds like I need to use a wider, stiffer belt. Schultzie what cant do you use for the supertuck?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Buy a 3.8" compact 45. Put the 4.5" slide on the compact frame.

You'll have 4 gun configurations for the price of 2 guns + problem solved.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
that's precisely what's happening. Sounds like I need to use a wider, stiffer belt. Schultzie what cant do you use for the supertuck?
A good belt is essential.
I adjusted the factory cant by moving the front clip up one position. This tilts the grip up slightly but still allows me to have an easy draw stroke and the barrel of the 4.5 does not seem to rub into the back of my pants any. I did not get the combat cut but I am able to get a good grip on the XDm when drawing.
I tuck my shirts in and then blouse them slightly over the gun with the CBST as I have never been a shirt tail out kinda guy. It takes a little practice and shirts need to be loose fitting but I am able to conceal the 4.5 even with a T-shirt and jeans. I lost weight last year so all of my pants are one size too large as well.

·
Registered
805 Posts
put it at 2-2:30 it will disappear. I got to the point where i was leaving with the large mag on my 3.8 because it concealed just as easily as short mag 90% of the time. I used to do 3:30-4:30 and was very content, but still had printing with the large mag. Started to creep it over to the 2:30 and 1 notch from full cant and it just disappeared. I am 6' and 230 with enough mid section to double as a spare for my civic if i ever get a flat...

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a XDm 5.25". I don't always conceal carry but when I do, I never use my 5.25". I am able to but it is not comfortable. Do you expect me to pick that up off the ground?? I am trying out the Glock 42 though. Not happy. Will be moving back to my Glock 27.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm only 5'6 but 220 ( 52" 36") and in cargo shorts with the right tshirt I am able to carry my Glock 21 gen 4. I'm using a cheap leather ebay holster that may have been for an old 92fs I had. The Glock fits, trigger completely covered but rides very high in it. I actually think that's what allows me to carry it around 3-3:30. Of course I cant it fwd as much as possible. But I have asked several of my friends who know I carry and they can not tell when I'm carrying much like my xds and cm9

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts