Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was told the first couple of hundred rounds in a new gun should be lower power ammo to break it in. I am new to guns in general so I ask is this true?

Just got a XDM 40 a few days ago :D. Have not taken it to the range as of yet :cry:…
Should I ask for lower power loads?

Any break in suggestions?
I am planning to give the barrel a quick cleaning before I take it to the range.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
It's urban legend.

They're ready to rock, right outta the box.

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
Was told the first couple of hundred rounds in a new gun should be lower power ammo to break it in. I am new to guns in general so I ask is this true?

Just got a XDM 40 a few days ago :D. Have not taken it to the range as of yet :cry:…
Should I ask for lower power loads?

Any break in suggestions?
I am planning to give the barrel a quick cleaning before I take it to the range.
Urban legend. Most are good to go but I make it a point to shoot ball ammo for the first 2-300 and then feed them whatever ammo I feel like after that. If the gun can't handle that then I don't want it.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
My first trip to the range with my new XD .40. 100 rounds of Winchester, and 20 rounds of Corbon HPS's no problem.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Urban legend. Most are good to go but I make it a point to shoot ball ammo for the first 2-300 and then feed them whatever ammo I feel like after that. If the gun can't handle that then I don't want it.
I think that's the important part right there. Start it off with the easy stuff. Although with the XD, maybe not as necessary.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Please explain the reasoning behind this. What is it that one is trying to do....build up the gun's muscle to handle full house rounds? :confused:
I think it's just to check the function of the gun and break it in. Ball ammo is less likely to hang up in the gun than the fancy JHP's. Also 2-300 rds. of top-shelf ammo is pretty expensive. Once you've put several hundred rounds through and worked out any issues you may find, then you can trust the gun and try out different types of ammo. Anyone care to clarify or is that about right?

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
Just go out and shoot it. Break-in periods are a myth on firearms.

Before you trust it as a primary self-defense weapon you should run a few hundred rounds of whatever you are going to use for self-defense ammo to make sure it doesn't have issues with that particular ammo, but that's it.

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
Metal parts do wear into each other, and it does actually make sense to take it easy at first. I don't think you can put a specific number on it though, but firing some plain old Blazer Brass or Winchester WB is a good idea, at least a box just to test the function. Something I think is VERY important I don't hear enough about is to inspect, lube, and prepare the gun BEFORE you shoot it. Look for metal shavings, burs, or cracks in the parts, anything that could result in malfunction, damage, or kaboom! Then fire a few rounds, and check to make sure everything is OK. After you fire a couple mags, field strip it, and look it over for burs, or abnormal wear. Make sure the barrel didn't bulge or crack, and stuff like that. After you fire 100-200 rounds, you can be reasonable sure nothing bad is going to happen, and you can move on to other ammo. :cool:

·
Banned
1,924 Posts
+1 on all of the above. Just what kind of sissy assed gun do you think you bought, anyway? It's a Springfield freakin' Armory gun fergawdsake! :roll: Maybe those sissy assed Glocks, Sigs, and whatever need to be "broke in" with pansy ammo, but ya got yerself a MAN GUN, Boy! XD means "Extreme Duty!" (They were gonna call it the "ED" but they figured it woulda sent the wrong message and only middle aged guys would have bought one ;)).

Now, go shoot yer damn XD and quit babyin' the damned thing!

Oh, congrats on making a good choice.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Start her up and hold her around 2000-2500 RPM for a few minutes. Kill the ignition and let her cool down. Once cool enough, remove the oil and inspect for metal. If none or minimal amounts are found, replace the filter and let her rip!

Seriously, if I'm building a very tight engine then that might need a break in period. If I am building one that will see about 100+ runs in a season with hot laps... well, I doubt I would build something so tight that minuscule tolerances could jeopardize it's endurance.

I believe that what others, and myself, are trying to say is that the XD (eXtreme Duty, as was mentioned before) was meant to shoot out of the box pretty much anything that you can feed it. Having said that, I would still use common sense and caution. Read the manual, field strip the firearm and inspect/oil it before use. Once you have stamped your seal of approval on it visually, shoot it. I would shoot one round, then three, and so on. I wouldn't, however, worry so much about getting low power rounds or such. Factory target stuff should do. Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
902 Posts
IMHO:
1911's were originally designed for ball ammo and some may need feed ramp polishing, etc. to feed modern defensive JHPs.

With that said: With XD's I use JHP standard pressure for the first few mags just make sure she is 'right functionally'. Then it's time to rock out with your.... well, you get the idea ;-)

A modern pistol should handle a modern load right out of the box.

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
Please explain the reasoning behind this. What is it that one is trying to do....build up the gun's muscle to handle full house rounds? :confused:
It's probably not necessary on all guns but it's a habit I've gotten into after a couple of 1911s and a Kimber. Any gun with very tight tolerances seems (to me) to loosen up and run a little more smoothly after a few hundred rounds of ball. Not a rule, just a preference of mine based on observations.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Urban legend, for the most part. I usually put about 50-100 rds of factory thru any pistols I get. Just to check for function. Then I go to my reloads. the only exception was my Steyr M9. Because of stiff extractors most of the original Steyrs needed about 1k of factory thru them to loosen up the extractors. Mine got a diet of almost 1k of NATO spec 9mm to loosen it up.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
If I got an xd that wouldn't eat anything I fed it right off the bat, it'd be going back to Springfield... These guns are built to EAT... I've got almost 20,000 through my xd9 with no malfunctions at all, and I've fed it EVERYTHING I can find... If your pistol won't eat a certain type of round it needs to go back to the shop to find out whats wrong with it...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts