Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone im new to this forum but have owned my xdm since september. i have a question that may be answered already. the trugo tfo sights for the xd, will they fit the xdm? i live 20 min from gilberts guns n they have them for 80 bucks,but they have told me on more than one occassion that they will not fit. anyone have a different opinion? or even a pic with them on an xdm? thanks for any opinions or comments.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
They fit, they are accurately sighted in for a 6 o'clock sight picture, but they are also taller. Which means that you will have to get used to them. I initiall was shooting about 2 inches high with the TFO's off hand but it only took me about 2 magazines to get used to them. They also allow a bit more gap between the notch and the front sight, which can be either good or bad, depending on how you look at it. Personally, I like the ability to see a bit more of the target around the front sight but that is something you'll have to decide on yourself.

BTW, if you read about the TFO's you'll see they have a tendancy to shed the light pipes. Because of this, I took mine home before having them installed and filled them solid with 30 minute clear Epoxy. Scotch taped the bottom, used a toothpick to feed the epoxy in drop by drop till the sights were full to the top, set them on a level surface and let them set up. Now, mine look like they were molded in place and it had no effect on the brightness that I can see, in daylight they are like a neon sign.

The only thing that I don't like is that they aren't serrated and will produce glare. Which I'll fix at some point by stippling them with an electric engraver and the addition of some flat black paint.

·
Premium Member
21,059 Posts
hey scooter could you post a pic of the way you did your sights? or email it to me please? thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks scooter that was exactly what i was looking for appreciate the info i guess ill have to get them and do the epoxy thing and have them installed i think they are awesome sights my buddy has them his glock n they are sweet

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
any pics of the tfo's on the xdm? cuz local gunsmith swear they will not fit. i'd hate to buy them and they won't fit or the 'smith botches up my slide. thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
i, too, would love to see a pic of these on an M!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Scooter can you tell me where what 30 min. epoxy you used? I just used super glue gel and placed a small drop on each end of the tube. So far so good. Shot about 2000 rnds thru my XD9. Np what so ever w/mine. I was wondering if the sights would fit my new XDM9mm? I watched my gun smith install my TFO's on my XD9 and he had to file them down a bit to fit. I imagine he can do the same to these for my XDM?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
What I used is the standard 2 part epoxy, the kind that comes in a double syringe. Most of the time you'll see this in a version that sets in 5 minutes because people like the shorter working time. However, I chose the 30 minute type because the working time is long enough that it can flow into almost any crevice. Basically it stays liquid for about 25 minutes when it starts to gel up. After that point you want to leave it undisturbed for at least 2 hours because if you touch it before it's set up completely you'll leave marks in the surface. BTW, I purchase my epoxy at Pep Boy's so it's easy to find in just about any hardware, auto parts, or home center.

As for the request for pics, if someone could provide some directions on how to post images to the gallery I could put some up. I tried figuring it out and had no success.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts