Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody know from personal experience whether this will kill the sights or not?

also, any of you with truglo tfo's... what do you use to clean the gun and do you have to stay away from the sights with it?

thanks for the help.

---todd

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
I dont have truglos, but I use mpro 7. IMO, MPRO 7 isa very mild cleaner, and I dont think it would hurt them. Most cases were with hoppes and similar harsh cleaners.

I may be wrong, just my hypothesis. Take it for what it is worth

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'll let you know soon. I'm off to the range in a while and when I get back I'll be cleaning the gun with MPro7...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Good news - the MPro7 did not appear to affect the TFOs at all. I soaked a q-tip and rubbed it around on the length and the visible end of the fiber optic rod and no plastic appeared to come off. Then I sprayed MPro7 directly onto the fiber and wiped it pretty hard with another clean q-tip and there still was no evidence that the plastic was deforming or dissolving.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cooooool....

did you let the M-pro7 sit on the sights for very long before rubbing? i.e. do you think that a soak would hurt them?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've got Truglo's on my SubCompact .9mm and fixin' to put them on my .40 Tactical. I see no reason to let any kind of chemical get on those tubes. Someone in one of these forums I read up on said that they can be damaged by some of the lubricant/cleansers that are on the market. Why does anyone need to put a harsh chemical on them anyway? Wipe them off, maybe use a q-tip to clean around them. Seems like that's all they would need.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i don't think that the sights need direct cleaning... but during slide cleaning if the cleaner got on them, is specifically what i'm talking about...

also, if i were to submerge the gun in a cleaner...

btw, how do you guys like the sights?

·
Registered
802 Posts
fl4ian said:
i don't think that the sights need direct cleaning... but during slide cleaning if the cleaner got on them, is specifically what i'm talking about...

also, if i were to submerge the gun in a cleaner...

btw, how do you guys like the sights?
let you know soon, will have them no by the end of the week..
Where abouts in cbus are you from? where ya shoot?

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
i wouldnt submerse these sights in any cleaner

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
chrome said:
Where abouts in cbus are you from? where ya shoot?
northside, near the continent. usually powder room, and on occasion new albany. when it's warmer and there are several of us, we head north to 229/23 the delaware range.

you??

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've got Truglo's and Trijicons. Truglo's seem to pick up quite a bit of light in the day time and are quick to get on target. Truglo's are brighter at night. Trijicon has a 12 year warranty I believe. When the Trijicons finally give up the ghost you can send them back and they will install new tubes. No idea what the cost would be, but sure it would be quite a bit cheaper than having to buy new sights. Trijicon tubes are covered by the sight housing so you shouldn't have to worry about breaking them. My Truglo's have a large open area on the top of each tube to let that daylight get to them. Only problem is that opening might let something rap up against them and break them.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just wanted to comment on the need for cleaning the fiber. When installed, I found the front sight to be noticably dimmer than the rears. But when cleaned with the MPro7 a lot of grime came off and now it is just as bright.

The moral of the story is that the fibers are going to get gunked up from shooting residue and whatnot, so they will have to be cleaned. Soap and water would probably work fine or you could use a safe gun cleaner like MPro7.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts