Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting some new sights for the tactical but am having trouble deciding between these two. Wondering if anybody has had any personal experience with either. I like the idea of TFOs since I do most of my shooting in the day but also use my XD for HD. However, I have heard some people complain about their fit/finish and question their durability. Also they cost around $100.

The Meprolights seem like a good choice too but I question how much they will help since I shoot mostly during the day at the range. I really like the idea of the orange rear/green front combo though and they are cheaper at around $85. Sadly, they're on backorder too. Anyone have either on their XD? Please discuss.

Truglo TFO:
Cabela's -- TruGlo® Tritium Fiber-Optic Pistol Sights

Meprolights:
MidwayUSA - Meprolight Tru-Dot Sight Set Springfield XD Service, Tactical Steel Blue Tritium Front Green Rear Orange

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I'm looking at getting some new sights for the tactical but am having trouble deciding between these two. Wondering if anybody has had any personal experience with either. I like the idea of TFOs since I do most of my shooting in the day but also use my XD for HD. However, I have heard some people complain about their fit/finish and question their durability. Also they cost around $100.

The Meprolights seem like a good choice too but I question how much they will help since I shoot mostly during the day at the range. I really like the idea of the orange rear/green front combo though and they are cheaper at around $85. Sadly, they're on backorder too. Anyone have either on their XD? Please discuss.

Truglo TFO:
Cabela's -- TruGlo® Tritium Fiber-Optic Pistol Sights

Meprolights:
MidwayUSA - Meprolight Tru-Dot Sight Set Springfield XD Service, Tactical Steel Blue Tritium Front Green Rear Orange
You will hear controversy about the TFO but I can tell you I have 2 sets which have never failed and I would not have any other. By the way I have owned 2 sets of trijjicon, 1 set mepro, 1 set Heine Straight 8, 1 set Heine Slant Pro, 1 set XS 24/7, 1 set of SIG and probably a couple more I can't remember. Non TFO sight because of the size and ring around the tritium vials are far more difficult to see during daylight than TFOs. May I suggest that the the brightest combination is green/green.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I'm really leaning toward the TFOs. bump bump

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
I have 3 sets and have never had any issues. I have 2 sets green/green and 1 set green/yellow. I will tell you the green illuminates much brighter than the yellow but the contrast is valuable.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Ive got 2 sets of TFOs, after I had them installed i did as people suggest and dabbed them with clear nail polish and havent had any problems.
I would suggest contrasting colors.... green front, yellow rears.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I had a set of the TFO's on another gun and I really liked them. The only downside to them is that new they only come with a 90 day warranty.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I have 3 sets and have never had any issues. I have 2 sets green/green and 1 set green/yellow. I will tell you the green illuminates much brighter than the yellow but the contrast is valuable.
+1
It is much easier to concentrate on the brighter green front sight with the yellow/green combo.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Ive got 2 sets of TFOs, after I had them installed i did as people suggest and dabbed them with clear nail polish and havent had any problems.
I would suggest contrasting colors.... green front, yellow rears.
Can you show a pic with where you put on the nail polish? Do you put it on the end that you are looking at while preparing to fire?

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
Can you show a pic with where you put on the nail polish? Do you put it on the end that you are looking at while preparing to fire?
from what ive read, you can either put the epoxy (CLEAR) on the end of the encased tritium where it broke off and on the loose FO rod end that connects with the tritium -OR- you can fill the sights completely with epoxy. im a little hesitant to do either, but i love my TFOs and have to fix my front sight after the incident this weekend :cry: pics would be nice though, yes.

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
from what ive read, you can either put the epoxy (CLEAR) on the end of the encased tritium where it broke off and on the loose FO rod end that connects with the tritium -OR- you can fill the sights completely with epoxy. im a little hesitant to do either, but i love my TFOs and have to fix my front sight after the incident this weekend :cry: pics would be nice though, yes.
on second thought, i just called TruGlo and they warned against it. im sending in my slide and getting it fixed for free. hopefully this lasts a while =/

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
wonder how they "fix" it. Give us the update when it gets back to you.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright guys, I just placed my order at midwayusa for the Truglo TFOs green front/yellow rear. Now I just have to find a good gunsmith around here to install them. Anybody know of one? I heard that Truglo requires you to use a pusher and not a hammer/punch for the install. I'll have to make sure I communicate that to them.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
There are several forum sponsors that will install your sight for you for a small fee. I have used James at XD-HS2000 install mine. He did a great job and returned the slide clean and lubed.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, I would definitely like to support one of the sponsors if possible.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm out of the loop here, what's the alleged problem with the Truglos? The insert falls out after use or something?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have both and the Truglo are brighter. I have never had a problem with the Meprolight even in my sonic cleaner. But please read the reply I received from Truglo when asked if they would stand up to sonic cleaning. Trying to keep sights mounted on a handgun from ever contacting gun oil, lubricants, solvents, etc. is like selling me tires for my car and saying they can never get wet or dirty.
:sad:

DO NOT IMMERSE your TFO sights in any type of sonic cleaner. These devices will defeat your TFO sights.

You also need to keep these sights away from contact with any type of gun cleaning solvent, gun cleaning spray, lubricants, oils and preservatives.

We appreciate your choosing TRUGLO products.

Shoot safely,

710 Presidential Drive
Richardson, Texas 75081
P# 972.774.0300
F# 972.774.0323

1 - 20 of 31 Posts