Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of TFO sights for my XD-9 through James at XD-HS2000.com. I wanted sights that had both a tritium night sight as well as fiber optic sight for USPSA competition. The TFO’s seemed to be the answer to my quest. James installed the sights and I received the completed slide last week. He did an excellent job on the installation and the sights look great. The fiber optics are bright during the day and at twilight and when dark falls the night sights are great. The sights are definitely what I was seeking.

Unfortunately, when I took it to the range this week I discovered a problem. The pistol which was shooting dead on POA with the OEM sights is now shooting about 2” high at 15 yards. There is also a gap that James had warned us about between the slide and the base of the body on the rear sight. The rear dovetail fits perfectly but it leaves a gap beneath the sight body of 0.48mm or 0.019 inches. I measured this with a set of feeler gauges. I tried to take a photo of the gap but my camera doesn’t have the resolution needed.

This is clearly a problem with the manufacturer’s tolerances and is in no way related to the installation. The front sight fits and sits perfectly by the way.

If you do the math given the 5 3/8” sight distance on my XD-9 Service, a 0.019 inch increase in the height of the rear sight above that of the front will result in an elevation of 1.9 inches at 15 yards and 3.2 inches at 25 yards. This correlates strongly with what I am experiencing at the range.

I talked with James earlier today and he couldn’t have been more helpful. He readily acknowledged the problem and is willing to reinstall my choice of other sights at no charge. However, since I really like the TFO’s, I tried to contact TruGlo. Unfortunately they are closed for the Christmas holiday. I left them a message with my name, phone number and a description of the issue. Hopefully, they will call back next week.

In the mean time, I recommend that the members of this forum steer clear of the TFO’s for any XD until such time as the manufacturer can correct the problem. I will update this post as soon as I hear back from TruGlo.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had James but the same sights on my XD Service as well a few months ago.

I've seen the gap you're talking about (never gave it much thought until you mentioned it, though).

My shooting isn't good enough to pick up on the difference. I'm still trying to get used to exactly where to aim the front sight in relation to the target.

Should I just aim a bit lower or something or do you think this is something I should worry about having corrected?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
From what I've seen from TruGlo in the past they're probably just going to stonewall you and tell you to talk to the dealer. They don't deal with end-users.

brad cook

·
Registered
265 Posts
Interesting....I have a set of TFO's that I bought several months ago from Ajames (had them installed by my local gunsmith). I, too, noticed the gap and also that I really couldn't push the sight body down towards the frame. I also took my gun straight to the range, placed it on a rest and proceeded to shoot a mag (.40 service) at 21ft. All 12 rounds were grouped at no more than 2 inches! I couldn't believe the general accuracy when you remove myself from the equation! :lol: The shots were placed a tad high from POA, but I didn't see that as an issue since anything I will be shooting at will most certainly be hit.

Love the sights!

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Interesting. There is gap because of the length of the sights, to eliminate any binding. If you feel this is an issue (sounds like you do), I'd suggest you have AJames contact TRUGLO for you, as their service is intended more for their dealers.

I know a lot of guys have bought them for competition, and if there was an accuracy issue, I know I would have heard something.

Good luck.

OS

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
I only have four sets of them which were installed
by Ajames. No problem here. I have to agree with
the reasoning behind the gap.

TFO TruGlo sites are machined from stock and are very
sturdy. If there is a real problem with alignment which
would throw off hits, I am sure that James will have an
answer.

Ed

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
I had James install mine also and although I didn't like the gap at first
it doesn't seem to effect my shooting at all. The sights allow me to shoot with the
6:00 alignment that I am used to with all my XD's.
I would make sure your sights were intended for use on the XD and go from there.

I have about 600 rounds and no trouble yet, I am actually thinking about
buying another set for my XD45 acp when it comes in.

Matt

·
Registered
823 Posts
DigMe said:
From what I've seen from TruGlo in the past they're probably just going to stonewall you and tell you to talk to the dealer. They don't deal with end-users.

brad cook
+1

I ordered TG131CT sights through my gunsmith/dealer when TG would not deal with me directly. They did tell me that the sights were available.

Many weeks passed without my dealer seeing the sights, until finally TG told him that those sights were not available and would not be.

Since then TG has claimed that they "never made" sights for Colt 1911s, but never acknowledges that they used to advertise them.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have them on my subbie and like them, yes there is a small gap but I don't compete and this is my main ccw so I am only after center mass shots for defense and so far they have proved well

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called TFO yesterday and spoke with a gent named Paul. I explained the issue summarized in my original post above. I also let him know that further measurements show that the top of the rear sight is 1/32 inch higher than that of the front.

Paul told me that they have struggled with the XD models becuase the tolerances on the dovetail slots have not been very consistent. Therefore, they have had to make compromises. The good news is that he offered to replace the sights with some that match each other better at no charge. I will send them the slide in a couple of weeks since it is now at Springfield to get a new extractor since the tip of the original broke off just short of 10,000 rounds.

I'll let you know what happens when I get it back from the TFO folks.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
Sturdy enough for SIGArms to ship them out of the factor on their guns and some PDs. I sold a bunch to the Buffalo Grove PD about a year ago. Their officers love them.

They are made of the steel and the tubes are well protected. Are they are perfect product? Maybe not, what product is? The TFOs offer something that other night sights don't. A bright sight picture during normal light conditions.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Mike TRT said:
how durable are the tfo's? are they solid enough to get a little rough handling like in tactical work situations......??
They are tough or I would have damaged mine buy now :shock: .I carry pretty much 24/7 and I work in a garage and the finishes have all taken a beating but both sets of tfo's look and work like new. 8)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Thanks Guys...thats what I was hoping to hear!!! Im gonna order some up shortly......question now, My XD 40 Tactical came with the trijicon NS, which obviously are brand new....which I obviously paid for with the pistol, what would they be worth, or should I just keep them after putting on the TFO's..?? what do ya think?

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
The Trijicon sights have a 12-year warranty. "Used", I would say they are worth about $60, as long as they don't get beat up during removal.

I would suggest you hold onto them for a bit, making sure you want to part with them. Even if you hold them for a year, they will have plent of life for the next owner.

OS

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Mike TRT said:
Thanks Guys...thats what I was hoping to hear!!! Im gonna order some up shortly......question now, My XD 40 Tactical came with the trijicon NS, which obviously are brand new....which I obviously paid for with the pistol, what would they be worth, or should I just keep them after putting on the TFO's..?? what do ya think?
60-70 Range for a nearly new set should sell fast.I would have a Smith personaly rich or a james remove them 8)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
R/T Performance said:
Mike TRT said:
60-70 Range for a nearly new set should sell fast.I would have a Smith personaly rich or a james remove them 8)
sounds great !! thanks........I'll probably get em done same time as the trigger.......

they dont ride too much higher do they? no holster problems with fit etc?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Thanks for finding the link R/T....they dont look much taller at all from the stock or Trijicons......... I appreciate it !!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts