Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The clamp area does pose an issue - since the bottoms of the side rails stop at the clamp, rail panels will go no farther aft. Even though there are cutouts for Knight's rail panel clips on the first and last slots, a full-length KAC rail panel's clip will not engage. The panel is too long for the clip to engage in the front, and unless the panel is relieved, the clamp does not provide the necessary clearance to engage the clip on the aft slot. Short KAC rail panels will only engage the front slots. The Tango Down rail panel clip will not engage in the front, but can be installed with the clip to the rear. The clamp area, however, will be bare (much like a delta ring or barrel nut on a free-floating forend. I decided to relieve my Tango Down rail panels to cover that area, as I sometimes use a mag well hold instead of the vertical grip. I used a dremel to relieve the necessary amount (first pic, below). The panel now insulates my hand from the clamp area, which is likely to get hot. The Tango Down vertical grip was a solid fit - no side-side movement whatsoever.
Bare with me here but, does this mean that if I get the 7" rails, I can't use my 11 rib KAC panels on the L and R side? Say it aint so...

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
You may have to do some trimming/relieiving of the panel to engage the clip is what I'm reading.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just got one for a customer, mrf-di, I was very very impressed! Excellent fit, locked up super tight. Very worth the ~$150

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
The DI look like this........this is the Samson version

This is the Samson MRF free float, same b4 they changed the design as the Troy MRF

The KAC panels were a tight fit on mine and since these are the rifle length rails they can't slide forward because of the ladder style covers and the definately can't move backwards.

bottom

side

side

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The DI look like this........this is the Samson version

This is the Samson MRF free float, same b4 they changed the design as the Troy MRF

The KAC panels were a tight fit on mine and since these are the rifle length rails they can't slide forward because of the ladder style covers and the definately can't move backwards.

bottom

side

side
Did you do any "relieving" of those panels? I was planning on putting 11 rib panels on the L and R side, a 6 rib on the B w/ a VFG.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
Did you do any "relieving" of those panels? I was planning on putting 11 rib panels on the L and R side, a 6 rib on the B w/ a VFG.

No I did not.....as you can see I have the panels "backwards" and the clips didn't engage. Since the panel was "captured" I didn't mess with releiving any material off of the backside. As I said in the post above they slid on the rail real TIGHT and can't move back and forth between the back of the rail and the ladder panels.

Now on a 7" rail I would guess you'll have to get some material releived off the backside so the clips will lock in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts