Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I want to say that I don't think the problem is with the PRP spring kit, but instead, with the installation.

The gunsmith I use installed the PRP spring kit. Post recall XDs and correct kit for post recall pistols.

While still in his shop, both he and I dry fired the pistol and neither of us liked the way the trigger felt. He was sure he installed everything properly, so I chalked it up to needing some dry firing. The feel of the trigger as received post kit install actually seems heavier than before the PRP kit and it gets heavier the closer you get to firing.

So, I've been sitting here dry firing it, trying to get a feel for the new trigger. For no particular reason, I tried to dry fire it without the grip safety depressed and, to my suprise, the trigger fired. In fact, it felt great!! In other words, the trigger pull without the grip safety depressed felt like I expected the pistol would feel with the kit installed. Of course, it is not supposed to fire without the grip safety depressed.

I suspect that the spring kit was not installed properly which has led to both the crappy trigger pull, and the disabled grip safety.

My questions are: Has anyone experienced what I've described? Does anyone/no one think that an improper kit install is the reason for the problems? Any suggestions as to which spring or springs have been improperly installed, or could the grip safety itself have been re-installed incorrectly.

I am grateful for all the input y'all can provide.

Cheers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Rico. The video was very helpful and it identified the exact issue/mistake that was made when the fire control assembly was re-installed in the frame. Pistol is now up and running with the PRP spring kit, and properly functioning grip safety.

Again, I truly appreciate your assistance.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
You bet. jmb79 if you have any light strikes in the future remove the striker assembly and break it down. Sometimes just cleaning the striker channel isn't enough. Remove everything and polish the striker and other parts of the assembly. Gets pretty gummy and slows everything down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts