Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new bi tone XDs 9mm and I am having trouble getting the slide lock to engage. When I first got the pistol home I could not even get it to lock back at all except with an emty mag in it. I cleaned up the lock abit and it got better to where i can most of the time get it to lock back, but it still isnt right. Is anyone else having this problem? I have a XD40 Sub compact and it works great. I have checked my friends XDs 45 and it works great. I put his slide on my frame and it works like it should, but my slide on his frame is a no go, not even alittle. Ideas guys? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
When I first got my XDs it was more difficult to get it to lock back without the empty magazine than any other handgun I owned, but over time as it broke in the springs loosened up (and I got more used to it) and it became much easier to do so.

Personally, I don't think I'd send it back since it does lock back on an empty mag. Put several hundred rounds through it and get it broken in before deciding it needs to go back to SA.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
The slide really has nothing to do with locking back aside from the notch that the release lever catches. I'm guessing with it being a new gun the recoil spring is still stiff as a board and you are having trouble pulling the slide all the way back to be able to lock it.

·
Registered
665 Posts
How are you racking the slide? Meaty overhand grip, or something different?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is not an issue with me pulling the slide back far enough. There is definitely an issue with the slide. I pull the slide back and have to wiggle the slide back in forth along with the slide lock and most of the time it looks now. like I said I have check out my buddies xd s 45 and it works perfectly. I think that the slide needs to be cleaned up.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Can you post a picture of the notch in the slide where the lever catches?

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Since the slide locks back fine with an empty magazine inserted (or on the last shot) as it was designed to do, I doubt there is much wrong with either the slide lock or the slide. I also note that you say that your friends slide appears to be relatively easy to manually lock back when on your grip frame, but your slide does not work well on his grip frame? If this is the case, I would suggest it is simply an issue of your pistol not being properly or completely "broken in" yet. That is, the recoil spring assembly is still stiff enough that it takes a bit of "maneuvering" to align the slide properly with the slide lock and then manually pushing the slide lock up into the slide notch. Using your friends slide as an example, which I would guess has been fired a lot more than your new pistol, with use the recoil springs will ease up a bit, making manual retraction of the slide a bit easier and smoother and I would venture to say that manually applying the slide lock will become easier as time and use of the pistol increase.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
The critical corner looks a bit rounded which could possibly maybe cause it to not lock back everytime. But if as you say it locks back on an empty mag then I conclude it is operator error. Do not take offense as that is not my intent. If the problem persists send it back to Springfield and they will make it right. But as myself and others suspect. Put a few hundreds through it and then reevaluate

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Yes it does
Nothing wrong with your gun, learn to rack the slide with authority. The XDS is and the short stroke of the slide does require a bit of effort to rack. If the slide does lock back on last round, it is functioning ad designed.

I have 6 different XD somethings between my guns and the wife's, and the 's' is probably to toughest to lock the slide back on manually is my XDS.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok I understand how to rack a slide I have been doing this for quite awhile. Thanks for all the advice guys . I'll see how it is after I put a few hundred rounds through it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem with my XDS 45 . Probably have 300-400 rounds thru it. Going to send mine back to Springfield. Its a SAFTEY ISSUE. You cant see if the chamber is empty. All firearms should have the slide locked back if you are presenting the firearm to another person for inspection or before you field strip for cleaning.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts