Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my SC onto the driveway and it land on the top left corner of the rear sight, pushing it to the right.

Problem is, now its stuck there. Tried using a brass punch and hammer, and the punch got torn up without producing any progress.

Any suggestions?

PS All the area gunsmiths said at least 2 weeks wait, and I'm not willing to be without my carry piece for that long. (Saving up for a j-frame for alternate CCW)

·
Premium Member
21,700 Posts
have yui tried a c=clamp possiblly? sometimes a slow steady pressure will move them easier then a hammer

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Put the slide in the freezer for a hour or so then lock it down in a vice and drift it with a steel punch

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Steel punch and a real solid vice. Any flex will dampen the blows too much. Cut up an aluminum can for vice jaw cushions rather that using soft wood or something.
I tried taking off a tire today with a thin walled deep 12-pt socket on my impact wrench. The wrench has more than enough power, but with the deep and thin walls it was just rattling and absorbing the shock. Any flex as you try to impact the sight will do the same: absorb the shock. If you are doing a brass drift keep it as short as possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts