Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont even have my cwl yet. Working on it. However, i figure i can go ahead and carry at home, get use to the feel, and get the holster broken in and everything.

Im using a crossbreed supertuck. Im left handed, 6' 2" and just shy of 300 pounds, mostly fat. Lol. My observation here is my "love handles" are an obsticle. No matter were i position the holster, or adjust it, my fat seems to push the top of the holster outward, thus making the gun print. I wear xxl shirts

. And there not tight. However even my xxxl shirt prints. I have and am still trying every position, and adjustment (using the set screws on the belt clips) possible. Any one else have this issue?

Comfort wise, im very impressed, i know its there, bus not heavy at all, i can sit, stand, bend, ect, and its comfortable. i didnt expect that.

Any asvise, help would be great. Nit buying another holster unless i have to.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Not trying to sound offensive, so please dont take it that way, but the obvious solution would be a diet and exercise.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea. Lol. Thats been working for me. Haha. (Sorry, couldnt help it)

I have a hard time believing fat folk cant conceal. Seen guys that mafr me look skinny conceal just fine. I know it can be done.

Not to mention i would like to conceal a little sooner then 6-12 months from now. Lol. I currently am trying dieting and such. But its no over night process. If it was that easy this thread wouldnt exist. I was just over 200 and decently muscular for quite a while however, when i got a bad injury a couple years ago. my calories burned dropped, but i still had the same appetite that was and is very hard to curb. Work in progress.

EDIT:

I just found one that seems to conceal it. The undershirt helps with comfort.

However, givin its position, being much more forward then i would like, it renders my left front pocket useless. Also, as you cam see it it quite tilted, the clip would rub the metal slide quite a bit like this. And its at a odd angle. Not quite as comfortable, and very difficult to reholster.

The pocket is not too big a deal, i will live, some soft cloth on the back of the clip wiuld help with the metal on metal issue. And practice might make the angle a non issue in time, sure does make for funky draw right now though. The comfort level is not as good, but still quite managable, and the re holstering may get better with practice as well, its not as big a deal as a quick draw any way. Mainly just makes practice drawing a little slower process.

Im still open to suggestions, i would love to find a way to camber it back a littlw at a more natural angle, as well as have the holster more towards the rear, like at 7-8 o clock. But beggers cant be choosers!

Here is a photo of what worked. Yes it looks a bit... Different. No, thats not a gun belt, yes i know a gun belt might help the situation a bit. I ordered one from rg leather a couple weeks ago, at the current time he still doesnt have the leather in he needs. Hoping to have it in my hands in a couple weeks. Working with what i got until then.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
I'm 6'4" and close to 300 myself and I carry the XD45 daily, the cant I use is the rear is fully up and the front is one hole up from the bottom. I position the holster about 3:00 to 3:30 (I am Right Handed) it actually fits between the belt loops to keep it from moving. And this is all done in a Supertuck

Hope this helps

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

I will try doing the same, at 8:30-9 which i believe would be the left hand equivilant. See how it goes. The photo above is 10 ish. I tried the same set up i had pictured at around 8-8:30 and it didnt work.

Whoch belt loops you got it between? The first and second? (Counting clockwise, being as your right handed)

EDIT:

Just tried it. Didnt work.

The main issue with it every time is the bottom of the mag prints like a son of a gun. How people conceal the 13 rd baffles me. Im having a hard time with the 10 rd. Lol.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Between the first and third belt loop going clockwise.

Did you adjust your cant? It seems in the picture the cant is really far forward.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm on my phone and get to pics right now, but I had a similar problem with my XD45 in the CBST. here's my suggestion. Take the clips off the CBST and holster your unloaded gun. Then move the rig around inside your waist band until you find a comfortable position that minimizes printing. Note: you may not be able to completely get rid of the printing in all situations but it should be hidden enough that the unobservant populous won't notice. Once you find that position use tape or other medium to mark the depth and can't. Then take the clips and line them up on the mark so they won't interfere with the gun and mark where the wholes are. Then punch new wholes in the leather where you marked. This will NOT void your CB warranty.
If you are still having regulated issues you might consider trimming the top of the holster leather to keep it from being pushed in the way by love handles.

When I did this the can't ended up pretty far forward but at the 430-5 position right handed it is almost natural. Good luck whatever you do!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The cant in photo above is very far forward. That was one of my complaints. I set it up like yours is (not in photo) and the mag printed like a epson.

Thanks xd45, i will see if i can follow that tomorrow. I put the thing down for the night.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The cant in photo above is very far forward. That was one of my complaints. I set it up like yours is (not in photo) and the mag printed like a epson.

Thanks xd45, i will see if i can follow that tomorrow. I put the thing down for the night.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Another option would be to buy a more concealable weapon... not picking on the XD series, but they are not the thinnest weapons lol.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Or do like I do with the .45, conceal it the best you can (as comfortable as possible), and forget about it. Yea, I print a little... but nobody has ever given me a second look. When I want to really deep conceal (at church, for instance) I carry my Ruger LC9.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
I wonder if you try a different holster I know there cheap but I have an uncle miked size 15 that I carry my xd45c in daily its alot softer/ more pliable than leather, while it may not be idea, it might be more comfortable for you to carry until you can use your crossbreed iwb. think I paid about 15-20 bucks for it :) you can get them left or right and with or with out a retention strap.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Some pics of an uncle mikes 15 iwb.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Have a buddy of yours look at you while wearing it and see if they can spot the gun without you telling them its there. You might be printing some, but I bet its not as bad as you would think. You notice it because your looking for it. Hell, I was shopping one day in a supermarket and didnt even notice that my shirt had accidently got stuck behind the grip of my gun. I was walking around with the gun showing and nobody even said anything. People really dont pay much attention to others is what I'm learning.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have a buddy of yours look at you while wearing it and see if they can spot the gun without you telling them its there. You might be printing some, but I bet its not as bad as you would think. You notice it because your looking for it. Hell, I was shopping one day in a supermarket and didnt even notice that my shirt had accidently got stuck behind the grip of my gun. I was walking around with the gun showing and nobody even said anything. People really dont pay much attention to others is what I'm learning.
Like you, im in FL. We now got that law that gives leway if it shows while we grab the toilet paper of the top shelf, but printing all the time just scares me. Could be the newbie in me. If we had open carry i wouldnt care. its the law im worried about here. Lol.

·
Registered
224 Posts
try a shoulder rig or small of the back holster. u have to wear the right clothing to. cant just be tshirts in ur case.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wear t shirts less then 40% of the time. Usually a polo or a button up.like i said. Even a size bigger gives me the issue.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Try wearing at the 1:30-2:00 (appendix carry) position for a day. You may find it unusual at first, but soon find it a more natural and convenient location. Also fastest draw for a chubby guy.

I carry an XD45c there daily after having issues with hip, and behind-hip printing.
Patterned or dark colored shirts help a lot too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm 6' and 320 (and losing). I wear either the XD45c or the XD9sc in the Supertuck at 4pm (I am right handed). It is extremely comfortable there and at times I forget I have it on. I have the back clip in the very bottom hole and the front clip is one up from the bottom hole. Also, I don't carry with the extended mags generally.

I've been carrying for 2 years+ now and haven't been made out in public, at church, or even at my parents. It will look like you are printing to you but you will be amazed at how many people don't notice. Usually I am wearing polo shirts but I have carried tucked in with a light grey dress shirt and black pants (and yes I was self conscious to start as it was church).

One thing I found is using a good gun belt makes a lot of difference in printing. I always wear an undershirt so I don't rub my side raw.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Compared to some of you guys I'm tiny at 5'11" 207#! I wear a Super tuck horsehide combat cut all day every day whether I'm in shorts and a Tshirt back in
florida or jeans and long sleeve canvas shirt in the Georgia mountains. I Carry either an XD 45c or an XDm 3.8 in 9mm. I carry my gals at 3 oclock or a little further back. I've had nothing but solid comfort and satisfaction from this setup. Lastly QUIT worrying about printing. It's natural if you're new to concealed carry but as has been already said, the vast majority of people never notice, or care, if your shirt looks a little "funny". Hey stop and think for a minute....before you started carrying a weapon concealed, how often did you look at a guys shirt and the way it fit around his mid section? Uh I hope not to often, I know I sure as hell didn't!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts