Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been experimenting on a few optic options for my AK-74 and I think I've settled on this setup. Note that I have not shot this yet, and IS purely experimental and still trying to figure out the best option or options.

In building this setup, my first priority was to retain the use of the iron sights. Mine is sighted in at 100 yards and I can get very good groups using just iron sights - if I take my time.

This little experiment started after my gas tube got hosed (rust problems). Since I had an Ultimak tube lying around, I thought to use it temporarily while I figure things out with the gas tube. I like it. Then I installed my Bushnell TRS-25 (stolen from my other rifle) and I found that it perfectly co-witnessed with my iron sights, if only on the bottom 1/3 of the glass.

I recently acquired a used Belarus BP-02 AK side mount that included a 4x scope (not sure what brand). Since my AK has a side rail, I installed that too.

To my big surprise, I realized that I have all three sights functional at the same time. There was enough clearance in the scope mount to see the iron sights and the red dot. If I keep my both eyes open, the red dot is as clear as day and I can easily see targets through that small scope clearance.

Now I'm thinking if I should keep it this way as I really like the look of the stock wood forends and I do like the side rail scope configuration as it's detachable. I'm still on the fence with the Ultimak, largely because of cleaning (i shoot corrosive ammo).

Waddaya think?

AK-74 with just the TRS-25 and Ultimak

With the side mount, ultimak, TRS-25

Some close up

Co-witness

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I have an Ultimak and I shoot corrosive ammo. It's not a problem for me. I use spray can cleaner and give it a good scrub with a 12ga. bore brush. I take the Ultimak off once a year to give it a thorough cleaning, however I don't think it's needed.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an Ultimak and I shoot corrosive ammo. It's not a problem for me. I use spray can cleaner and give it a good scrub with a 12ga. bore brush. I take the Ultimak off once a year to give it a thorough cleaning, however I don't think it's needed.
Thanks. I figured I can use something like a 12g brush. Only thing is I usually flush the gas block with hot water after shooting and water gets into everything down there. Can't do that with the Ultimak and not get the bottom forend wet.

When you do take of the Ultimak, do you have to re-zero?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts