Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I will visit our nation's capitol for our first time. We'll be staying in Alexandria, VA and taking the Metro into D.C. My gun can't follow me on our way out to D.C. and will be locked in the floor safe in our room (damn you D.C.). My Google-fu is lacking today and I can't find any info on carrying a folding knife around D.C. and in the Metro. Any knowledgable peeps out there that can help a frustrated guy out? I find it disgusting that the capitol of the nation that was built upon the Bill of Rights and Constitution restricts my 2A rights by not reciprocating any CCW permits. D.C. should be a beacon for what our country stands for and instead, they stripped rights and it has become a cesspool of crime......why are we going again? :confused:

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I carry a knife in DC all the time. Never had a problem.. Not sure on the laws for this question though. Welcome to our Nations Capital.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
I lived in dc and surrounding area for 22 years. Its not as bad as it was early 90s. You'll have no problem with a kershaw type blade.
Better a knife on the metro than god forbid a can of soda and a sandwich. If there is a metal detector, they will take it. If your doing the touristy stuff, be sure to check out the corchran art gallery, And of course spend some time remembering our fallen soldiers who in my eyes are the heros of this country. If you can, goto the air and space museum at dulles. I hung the speakers in the imax theatre when I was an electrician. I was there opening day when that prick threw a can of paint at the enola gay.

Oh yea, don't get lost on so capitol st after dark. Then you'll be wishing you had your "burner" as the locals call it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I lived in dc and surrounding area for 22 years. Its not as bad as it was early 90s. You'll have no problem with a kershaw type blade.
Better a knife on the metro than god forbid a can of soda and a sandwich. If there is a metal detector, they will take it. If your doing the touristy stuff, be sure to check out the corchran art gallery, And of course spend some time remembering our fallen soldiers who in my eyes are the heros of this country. If you can, goto the air and space museum at dulles. I hung the speakers in the imax theatre when I was an electrician. I was there opening day when that prick threw a can of paint at the enola gay.

Oh yea, don't get lost on so capitol st after dark. Then you'll be wishing you had your "burner" as the locals call it.

Just left D.C. a little over 18 months ago. No metal detectors on the trains.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Burner? That's a new one to me. We plan on hitting up the Arlington Cemetery, Spy Museum, Holocaust Museum, and maybe the Smithsonian. We'll snap pics of the Iwo Jima Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Capitol building, Washington Monument, and of course, the White House. While we're there we might leave a burning bag on the doorstep. :twisted:

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
No Metal Detectors on the Metro but at the museums they have them. You will be fine in the day time, stay off South Cap at night like mentioned above.... It's nice out now and that breeds night time crime.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah that makes more sense. I may have misread his intent with that posting. You could probably email the smithsonian to see what, if anything they would allow.

·
Registered
403 Posts
You might also want to check what the status of pepper spray is under DC law. It's legal in most places, but you'd want to know for sure.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Where in va are you currently ocean?

You guys will have a good time. Deffinately need to get a dog from a vendor. If you go up 14th st & U, joint called bens chili bowl. Excellent meal. Been there 40+ yrs or close to it.

Holocaust museum is kinda depressing but a real eye opener. I don't know if they still split up the groups.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The time I went to DC, we got lost and ended up in the projects. Then found a police station; so I went in and they looked at me like I was from another planet from behind BULLETPROOF glass. It took a little bit of I'm lost can you show me the map to get the lady police officer to come around the partition to help me get out of there.

+1 on taking the Metro, wish I would've.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where in va are you currently ocean?

You guys will have a good time. Deffinately need to get a dog from a vendor. If you go up 14th st & U, joint called bens chili bowl. Excellent meal. Been there 40+ yrs or close to it.

Holocaust museum is kinda depressing but a real eye opener. I don't know if they still split up the groups.
Virginia Beach

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ocean:we may not agree on somethings but if you get tired of the tourist thing our range is only about 15 minutes from Alexandria.

Come on by & spend a little time on me. I live in Alexandria. I would suggest you take a day & see Mt Vernon very nice!

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
Just follow your congresscritter around, they're protected.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts