Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Here are a few pictures of my new Universal Hogue Grip. As you can see it interferes with the grip safety and I was wondering if I could just notch it where it covers the safety lever. I know I can trim the bottom but I am worried that notching it in this area will weaken it or cause the newly formed corners to fold over. I have tried just moving it down but if I move it enough to clear the lever the grip doesn’t feel right. I suppose I could just leave it as it is but I would feel weird about it. Has anyone here done what I am thinking of?

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Exacto knife around the grip safety. That's what I did. 3 quick cuts.

·
Registered
187 Posts
In the aspect of not having a grip safety it is. That is the only reason I hate carrying Glocks. You are only one dumb move from negligent discharging your leg off. With the XD you have an extra layer of protection from stupidity, with the grip safety.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the aspect of not having a grip safety it is. That is the only reason I hate carrying Glocks. You are only one dumb move from negligent discharging your leg off. With the XD you have an extra layer of protection from stupidity, with the grip safety.
Okeedokee, well like I said in the post I don't want to interfere with the safety lever and wanted to be sure that it would not mess up the grip if I notched out the affected area of the grip. I would be careful about calling someones XDM a Glock, I get the feeling that some of the people here might "discharge" your leg off for you for that!:)

GunnBugg says that it worked for him so I guess it should work for me. Thanks for the info GunnBugg.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Try to curve the corners of the cuts, instead of a sharp pointed corner.
Or try a smaller sized Hogue.

Or better yet, ditch the Hogue grip altogether........:(

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I take it you don't like my new grip? :neutral:
No, I just don't like defeating the grip saftey.
And I did offer you a suggestion on cutting your Hogue grip.
But chances are it will peel up at the cut edges over time as you stated.
Try a smaller grip or cut the one you have without a notch and shortening the entire thing..

You can feel free to do as you wish, but I suggest doing without.
It is by all means your gun, so I hope you find a suitable solution..:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Just trim the darn things. Too easy. Em is partly/mostly right.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, I just don't like defeating the grip saftey.
And I did offer you a suggestion on cutting your Hogue grip.
But chances are it will peel up at the cut edges over time as you stated.
Try a smaller grip or cut the one you have without a notch and shortening the entire thing..

You can feel free to do as you wish, but I suggest doing without.
It is by all means your gun, so I hope you find a suitable solution..:rolleyes:

I was just pulling your leg a little. I'll cut a broader arc rather than a notch. if it does screw it up I'll just toss it, there only about $12.

·
Registered
56 Posts
there was a thread here awhile ago about these grips and how someone cut and used a lighter to smooth and seal the edges so they would not tear. might be worth searching for if you decide to keep the grip.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts