Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a quick picture of my night sights this evening. Just thought I'd share it with you guys.

Special thanks to Scott!

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
The photo is gone. Looks like too many views and you have been shut down to keep their bandwidth down. :cry:

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Looks nice and bright but I think your aiming a bit high :p

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I took some pics of mine too... leaving the shutter open and whatnot... but never posted them because gauging the brightness of something in pitch blackness is way too subjective. I'm sure they don't look that bright to you (God, I hope not!) in the dark... but getting the camera to reflect exactly how bright they are is a bitch! It also depends on how well adjusted your eyes are, etc...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd say by looking at the rear sights, that is about the proper brightness in the dark. The front sight my brother could not get to focus any better than it is.

I wasn't aiming high, that was my brother, he didn't know how to line up the sights! heehee

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
"In the dark" is subjective. How dark? How long have you been in the dark? How much have your eyes adjusted? Etc?

If they're that bright... unload the gun... take the slide off... turn the lights off... let everyone's eyes adjust... "aim" the slide.... is your face lit up green from the sights? Can people in the room see your face? How's your nightvision? :)

A friend of mine actually had sights that were bright enough to fail all of those tests... He won't buy night sights now because he's damned them all.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, it wasn't pitch black, the gun was probably in the room for about 10 minutes or so, we snapped alot of pictures during this time changing the settings on the camera. That picture was taken in a "near" dark room and (I'm no photographer here) but my brother had the shutter set and it would take 30 seconds to take the picture. Excuse my "technical" terms when it comes to photography.

EDIT - I just asked my brother some technical terms and he is what he said "Canon 300mm f/2.8 IS L lens, at 30 seconds f/10, ISO 400"

So, I hope this helps, the sights aren't quite that bright, but he is a good photographer so he made them stick out more than they do, the gun was actually about 15 feet away from us in this room.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts