Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This only happens during live fire. When I dry fire and rack the slide manually the trigger resets every time. This didn't happen after the recall work, but since I (yes me)installed a PRP sping kit it has. I can push on the back of the trigger and reset it that way and fire another round and then it doesn't reset again. Any and all comments and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Sounds like the sear or the GSS may not be in correctly or the trigger bar. Honestly, without seeing it, i'm only guessing. I'd say remove the slide and possibly the trigger assembly and inspect it. Compare it to James' video at xdman.com.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
Sounds like the sear is not picking up the trigger bar on forward cycle. It resets when dry fire due to the fact the slide is not performing this function.
Take it apart and make sure everything is sitting in the right place.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Possibly one of the hazards of using lighter spring sets. Sounds very much like when firing, you simply are not letting the trigger move forward completely to reset without the heavier spring pressure pushing the trigger finger. Happens to many with this type of trigger reset and heavy recoil, subconsciously not fully letting the trigger move forward. Try consciously letting the finger completely off the trigger after firing a round to see if the trigger moves forward. It does so in dry firing because it is easier to note one's self completely releasing the trigger since there is no recoil, etc to distract, so quite likely it will also do so in firing if you let it.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
You reassembled it wrong. Make sure the GS arm is in the correct position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And the winner is:

Sounds like the sear or the GSS may not be in correctly or the trigger bar. Honestly, without seeing it, i'm only guessing. I'd say remove the slide and possibly the trigger assembly and inspect it. Compare it to James' video at xdman.com.
The Grip Safety Spring slipped to the side of the sear housing when I installed it back into the frame and was not allowing the sear and trigger bar to function.

PRP's customer service called me within 4 days of an email I sent them.
They also sent a replacement GS spring that I bent(no charge), and offered to send a shipping label to look at my XDs if this did not fix the problem.
Many Thanks to those who had ideas on the problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just bought and XDs yesterday. took it to the range today. 10% of the time the trigger did not reset. Twice the during NON trigger reset the primer was half struck. Was I close to a slam fire? I didn't take the gun apart. The range boss did take the slide off, barrel out did some cleaning and some lubing but the trigger did not reset one more time. The place I bought it from act like it is my fault and tell me to just keep shooting it "it will break in". I think that is a bunch of hoowee. I am not happy since this was suppose to be my conceal piece. Makes me pucker thinking it will do this when I may need it.
Any comments or anyone else having this issue?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I just bought and XDs yesterday. took it to the range today. 10% of the time the trigger did not reset. Twice the during NON trigger reset the primer was half struck. Was I close to a slam fire? I didn't take the gun apart. The range boss did take the slide off, barrel out did some cleaning and some lubing but the trigger did not reset one more time. The place I bought it from act like it is my fault and tell me to just keep shooting it "it will break in". I think that is a bunch of hoowee. I am not happy since this was suppose to be my conceal piece. Makes me pucker thinking it will do this when I may need it.
Hi Mandi - Welcome to the forum!!!

When you say the trigger did not reset, did it not fire when the primer was half struck? Sounds like a dirty striker channel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you for the welcome and the comeback.

I would fire off a round, the pistol would cycle, the trigger would go forward but not reset for another shot. I would drop the mag, clear the round in the chamber. This happened 15 times within 150 rounds. Twice when I would clear the round from the chamber the primer had been struck about half way.

Squeeze - boom - let trigger out to reset "click" - squeeze - boom - let trigger out to reset and no reset, no click :eek:( no more boom.

Again, at the range and at the shop they did not seem to want to think this through with me.

I am going back again today to shoot as much as can until my hand or pocket book gives up. I will have notebook and pen and take better notes.

Again, thank you for a response.

God bless.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Since you just bought this gun and immediately took it to the range, first question I would have is whether or not you first thoroughly cleaned and then properly lubricated the pistol before firing it. These small pistols are very sensitive to proper lubrication and it sounds very much like the pistol was just not fully cylcling-often a symptom of poor cleaning and lubrication not allowing the slide to move fully back smoothly. Lubing the trigger here is not the issue, but proper greasing of the rails and other sliding parts after getting all the original packing gunk (which is not lube) out of the pistol from the factory.

·
Registered
21 Posts
:oops: I have to admit I did not go through my usual routine of learning the take down of this particular (I do own an XD sub) and clean and racking as much as I can. I did do alot of dry firing and racking but only so much and I know better not to have cleaned it. :cry: My bad. :( I am a house sitter on a job and did not have my stuff with me. :cry:
I imagine I should have asked them at the shop/range to help me with this and I did not.:roll: After I was having trouble the XDs the range boss did take it down and clean and lube and then he shot it..no problems of course (using 124 gr where I had 115 which he said may not matter????) He had me shoot it with my ammo and he watched me to make sure I was not limp wristing it and to see how I was firing it. He said my technique was not the problem but it did it to me again on the 23rd shot while he was watching me. (He did 7 then 7, I did 5 then next to last round in my next mag of 5 ____________ .

I appreciate the come backs on this issue. I am hoping all this is my fault...then I can fix it and learn a very important lesson.

Thank you.

"Keep your head down and squeeze", Jack McClelland

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
I can best advise to take it apart, clean and lube as was recommended. Do NOT lube the striker channel. Also you did not mention which brand of ammo you were suing. I've had mixed results from WWB, PMC, etc. Often times malfunctions I could trace back to crap ammo. Not saying this is your case, but something to think about. Mix up brands of ammo, run a full box of each and see what results if any change, after the full cleaning and lube of course.
Also, was this gun NIB or a trade?

·
Registered
21 Posts
This was new in box so I know it was full of their packing gunk I failed to clean off. I used the range's ammo 115, I think it was PMC. The range boss used Geco 124 and of course had no problems but he had just cleaned it also. Today I will use Magtech 115 since that is what I have on hand right now. I will report back later.

Thank you. God bless.

·
Registered
783 Posts
You did say it has a roll pin going through the grip safety right? Otherwise the clean well, lube the rails well and leave the striker assembly and channel bone dry advise is good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
OK, to all of you who have so graciously gave suggestions for my dilemma. I took notes on all shots and on all things felt during today's range time. Shot 200 rounds, 5 shots per mag at a time. I realized today the trigger was not resetting because the pistol was not going to battery. It did this 22 times. Twice it half struck the primer.

When it did not battery I pushed it home and would reset trigger and then fire.
At the 27th round when it did not battery for the 4th time, I pushed it closed, it fired and did battery then. When I squeezed the trigger for the 28th shot it 1/2 struck the primer.

After every 50 rounds I quick cleaned the pistol with field stripping. Clean, not clean did not make much difference until after 100th shot. After this cleaning after the second shot it did not battery, I pushed it home, trigger reset, it fired, cycled, then there was another 1/2 strike. seven more shots were good then 3 push into battery in a row, then no battery problems for next 82 rounds. That made 22 times in 118 shots it did not battery

Now three times you all have stated NOT to lube the striker channel. I did not think I did but when I got home and did a more thorough cleaning under good light it had break free in that channel. I have swabbed, rubbed and blown air there to where now it looks dry. Have I totally screwed this thing up?

Thank you for your patience and advice. could the 1/2 strikes be caused by break free in that channel?

I look forward to your comments and advice.

God bless.

·
Registered
21 Posts
New XDs purchased 1/15/15. Would not battery, would not reset trigger, would 1/2 strike and no strike and they are all the same cause. Different positions the slide would stop in. Fraction of inches made the differences.

A month later and 2250 rounds and Springfield finally said send it back to them to look at. At time I could get up to 600 rounds without a problem...then next fifty it would do it a hand full of times.

6 different magazines and never did it to the same one or same sequence.

Springfield (on the phone) said it could possibly be the ejector?????
They received my pistol last Wednesday and I have not heard from them yet.

Extremely bummed but hopeful.

Will give updates when there is something to write about.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts