Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.
Tonight I received my Powder River parts, and the polished sear from Brownells for my 357 4".
The sear and safety lever went in just fine, but the plastic piece gave me fits. I couldn't make the thing fit. I sanded as much as I dared, but with the piece installed, the locking block would not install, and the trigger was completely shoved into the left side of the frame. I double checked, and I was installing it correctly. I finally gave up and put the gun back together. Much better! I am not sure how much better the plastic piece could actually make the trigger feel!
I'm now considering one of the aftermarket trigger bars, but I'm not sure how much it would improve the trigger.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
The overtravel stop is more important than the springs and sear, IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Hey all.
Tonight I received my Powder River parts, and the polished sear from Brownells for my 357 4".
The sear and safety lever went in just fine, but the plastic piece gave me fits. I couldn't make the thing fit. I sanded as much as I dared, but with the piece installed, the locking block would not install, and the trigger was completely shoved into the left side of the frame. I double checked, and I was installing it correctly. I finally gave up and put the gun back together. Much better! I am not sure how much better the plastic piece could actually make the trigger feel!
I'm now considering one of the aftermarket trigger bars, but I'm not sure how much it would improve the trigger.
I struggled a bit with it the first time, too. So don't go thinking you're something special! :)

Here are a few things that may help you get it in place.

First, when I'm reassembling my XD (I have a 9mm Service), I will usually take a small pick and make sure the overtravel stop is in the right place. There must be a gap between the flange (where the pin holding the trigger assembly goes through) and the side of the frame. This is where the trigger block goes. When I'm having trouble getting it in place, it's always because that flange blocks the trigger block from seating.

Second, w/r/t how much sanding to do, here's what mine looks like installed:

The pic shows the gap between the trigger bar and the stop, plus it shows how snugged up the right side of the stop is to the frame. I not only had to take material off where there's the bevel (shown), but the part which is next to the frame.

Here is a pic of the stop from Propellerhead's excellent tutorial. The "A" part of the stop was what I gradually had to remove until I could get the stop to sit squarely. You can get an idea of how much you need to take off (or what you need to move toward taking off) by both his pic and my pic, though move toward that much as everyone's mileage is a bit different:

Pic from Propellerhead's Tutorial

And if you hadn't seen his tutorial, here's the link to it:

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/latest-hs2000-sa-xd-faq-stickies/72879-how-install-powder-river-precision-safety-lever-overtravel-stop.html

Third, it's a lot easier to get the stop in place if you lift and tilt the trigger assembly a bit. Once the stop is in there, it actually fits in quite well.

In my case, I simply couldn't get it to sit in place until I'd taken enough material off the "A" part of the stop. But when you get it in place, it *will* fit quite well. If you inspect where the stop fits in relation to the trigger and the frame and the trigger block, you'll see there is actually lots of space for the flange.

It's pretty ingenious, actually.

PS: As I'm sure you know, take a bit off at a time. Mine entailed something like 4 tries before I got it where I wanted it. Now, when a regular XD owner tries my trigger, all they can say is "Wow." And a lot of that is due to the reduced overtravel.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I had to sand the pads completely off mine to make it work, but it works great now.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Hey all.
Contact Daniel at Powder River.
He is a great guy and will talk you thru the process if needed.
Call or email him.:mrgreen:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts