Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I have the xdm elite 9mm 4.5. I have it paired with the mck and a red dot sight. Firing in the mck is uneventful and grouping leaves nothing wanting. I purchased my pistol a few months ago and have been generally happy with it paired with the mck.

I recently finished building and shaking down my ar pistol build (.45 acp). I purchased all the components separately and assembled it myself. The trigger I purchased was a drop-in trigger made specifically for ar pistol blowback builds. Heaviest setting is at 4lbs trigger pull adjustable down to 2.75lbs. I have it set to 4lbs currently. The take-up on that trigger is near 0 and the reset is less than 2mm. Essentially as soon as I start squeezing the trigger (because I want to fire) it fires.

Prior to firing my ar pistol build I thought the trigger on my xdm elite was great compared to my co-workers old ruger 9mm (I don't even know the model). I know I'm comparing apples to oranges here. But the simple question came up after my ar pistol build. "How can I decrease the take-up and reset on my xdm elite trigger?"

I have been searching for a while now on trigger upgrades and honestly I just can't seem to wrap my head around which trigger upgrades work for the xdm elite and which one is going to do what I want. I haven't seen much info (from my research) on how the take-up and reset is affected/changed compared to the stock xdm elite trigger.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PRP trigger and you'll be all set.
That's what alot of people have been saying (from my research). I have seen they have two trigger kits where one is labeled extreme and the other is "basic". The differences I found is the pull weight.

Aside from that it's hard to tell if the trigger parts (not springs) are physically different than the stock parts. Is it really mostly springs that make the difference here or are the prp pieces also different?

Thanks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sry, I couldn't say if the springs would work w/o also using their trigger. It has been a while since I've installed mine. One in a XDm and one in a XD Mod 2.

I can say, the PRP trigger totally changed both guns for the better....SO MUCH BETTER. Granted, I have not shot an Elite. Supposed to be a "better" trigger but it's still an OEM trigger and thus I have to believe there's room for improvement. If it has any "mush" in the trigger pull, the PRP trigger will fix that....in my experience anyway.

Best of luck in your quest

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've got both extreme and drop in PRP triggers over 5 XDm's. The take up, overall travel, and reset is the same on all models. Only difference is the sear assembly parts on the extreme model are skeletonized to make them lighter and the springs may be a tad bit more reduced power.

My extreme pull weight comes in at 1 lb 14 oz. The drop ins range from 2 lb 6 oz to 2 lb 12 oz.

I have over 70k rounds thru the extreme trigger and it shows and feels no wear.

I can say, no xdm pistol trigger will ever be as good as what you have in your PCC, so don't go down that hole chasing that rabbit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@XDm Ed I agree the trigger in my PCC is leagues better. I am still hoping that the trigger in my xdm elite could be better. I don't believe it will ever be near what my PCC trigger is but I am hoping some improvements can still be made.

Of your 5 xdm prp kits, were any of them xdm elite models? I am hoping that the prp kit for the xdm elite models is enough of an improvement (over stock) to be a worthy attempt. Some have said that their xdm elite factory meta trigger is already better than the older xd model triggers. I am not able to directly compare the factory triggers currently between my xdm elite and the older models.

Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
PRP triggers are an improvement over the META. I don't own an elite, but I've dry fired the META triggers at guns stores. I've always advised to buy an older xdm and install PRP unless shooting stock service pistol in IDPA.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I highly recommend the PRP offerings. I have the Extreme trigger in my XDm and love it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have their most basic kit and it made a huge improvement.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
I have one Elite, stock, two XDM10's, stock and an older XDM9 5.25 that had work by Springer at their shop, I had to have 4+ lbs. and they did that, I like that trigger pretty well. I did add the PRP extended Magazine release, extended grip safety with memory pad.

If I were to mess with a XDM10 I would likely have to look at Springer as they are relatively close to me in Oregon. PRP used to be in state too, but they smartly left for the plains of South Dakota, I have used their stuff in XD's and XDS's and am a believer. Both are a lot different now (even better) There might be others, but XD/XDM wise they are the big dogs of the trigger mods

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
First time I bought a PRP trigger kit (for my 5" Tactical .45) I had some issues with it. I e-mailed them and they got right back to me (and it was on a weekend). They immediately offered to refund my money and asked me to send the kit back. I explained that I'd already stoned/polished some of the parts and installed them in the pistol.

Even at that point the trigger was greatly improved. I wanted to keep the improvement I had and didn't want to remove the parts I'd worked on/used. They accepted that and refunded my money anyway. How can you complain about the trigger improvement, fast communication and refund?

A few weeks later I ordered more parts from them for the second 5" Tactical .45 (not a trigger kit as none of those fit the XD pistols with ambidextrous thumb safeties) that included the trigger, springs, etc. Those parts improved the trigger on the second .45.

If I were buying more trigger parts/kits for the XDMs (have a couple 9MM) then I'd be looking at their website, or even e-mailing them to get their input on which kit was best. You might even try calling them on the phone to ask for advice.

·
Registered
757 Posts
.... You might even try calling them on the phone to ask for advice.
This.

Give them a call. Granted I've never called them before the sale, but I have contacted them for tuning recommendation on one of their kits (Ultimate I believe) and they walked me through operation, function checks and tuning steps while I disassembled and had hands on my XDM so I could see what they were talking about live.

The folks at PRP were top notch and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I left a voicemail yesterday for the prp gunsmith to get back to me. Still waiting. I’m picking up my xdm elite compact osp with hex tomorrow so for now I will be distracted until prp gets back to me. I do appreciate everyones input on this subject. I have too many outstanding projects and sometimes I get overwhelmed with all the time I spend on research.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I recommend going with the drop in if you go the PRP route. The difference between the extreme and drop in trigger pull weight is small and in all other aspects there is no difference. If you have a good punch set, installation is pretty easy. The only issue I've had with the drop in is I had one not reset correct. A small amount of filing on the trigger bar tab fixed the issue in a couples of minutes.

PRP triggers will be a lighter pull weight, overall less travel, and quicker reset than the META. It's a good investment for competition shooting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts