Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im curious if someone could help me understand these upgrades... I just bought my gun and shot it with a buddy of mine he's big into firearms just getting into this.. But he was complaining about my trigger and told me to look up upgrades but I don't understand what I'm looking at or no what to get. Thanks in advance for all the help!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Powder River Precision makes a drop in trigger kit for the XD and XDm pistols. They make trigger springs for the XDs pistols. Both trigger kits shortens the trigger and lightens the pull weight.

Springer Precision does trigger work and other custom work. Springfield custom shop also does trigger work with a factory warranty.

If you want to send your gun to a very competent gunsmith who is highly recommended both on here and by manufacturers of aftermarket parts, contact James at XDman.com or on here, @ajamesp51. He can install the PRP triggers, change your sights to night sights, and coat your gun. His turnaround time is very short and his work is top notch.

Reactions: Dcowboys24

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I will have to try and contact him not sure how I would get the gun to him as I am new to firearms

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
To the OP, while there may be some truth to your buddies assessment of the trigger, I'd recommend shooting it quite a bit to decide what you like about it, and what you want improved on it. I have grown to really like the trigger on the XD. But if a trigger job won't help you improve your shooting, it's money better spent on sights or ammo. It typically drives me nuts when people ask about upgrades and others respond with "just shoot it." But for something that can be as subjective as the trigger pull, I can't recommend enough shooting it and shooting it more enough

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To the OP, while there may be some truth to your buddies assessment of the trigger, I'd recommend shooting it quite a bit to decide what you like about it, and what you want improved on it. I have grown to really like the trigger on the XD. But if a trigger job won't help you improve your shooting, it's money better spent on sights or ammo. It typically drives me nuts when people ask about upgrades and others respond with "just shoot it." But for something that can be as subjective as the trigger pull, I can't recommend enough shooting it and shooting it more enough
Thank you, I do plan on shooting more before i do anything as its my first fire arm. I've done the beginners pistol course, and also took concealed carry class.. In the CC class i was told a crimson laser sight is highly recommended, but i feel i should learn the classic iron sights before i spend 200 on a laser and cheat the real skill behind shooting. As for the trigger concern could you help me understand more these issues to wear i can understand it? my buddy couldn't explain i think he just read it online because i see a lot of people complaining about the trigger. When i went shooting my aim was better with my buddies M&P Shield, BUT the xdm feels SOOO GOOD in my hands

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
First gun.... I say just shoot it then shoot it some more. Yes mods are good but my advice is to get proficient with what you have first, no add on part in the world will make up for time behind the trigger. Then ,,well ,, mod to your hearts delight

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Some people feel the pull is too heavy. Others feel there is too much pretravel. Personally, I like the stock trigger. But I haven't shot an XD with a trigger job. Would love to try one to see if I have been missing out. But until then, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. My opinion anyhow.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Some people feel the pull is too heavy. Others feel there is too much pretravel. Personally, I like the stock trigger. But I haven't shot an XD with a trigger job. Would love to try one to see if I have been missing out. But until then, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. My opinion anyhow.
After shooting my new Sig P220 10mm with an upgraded trigger, it's reignited my desire for a competition trigger on the 5.25.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
After shooting my new Sig P220 10mm with an upgraded trigger, it's reignited my desire for a competition trigger on the 5.25.
Those two triggers are not even in the same class. A DA/SA trigger will be better than a striker fired trigger, unless there is some serious modifications done to it, if not to the point of being unsafe.

Does your Sig have the SRT? I shot a P229 with a SRT and agree it is no comparison to my stock XDsc trigger.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I don't believe it was identified as a SRT, but it is enhanced. It's on the GT20 limited edition firearm. I know when I try target shooting, I'm like holy crap this gun makes me look good! Too bad it's so expensive to shoot competition with it :(

It reinforces that my shooting skill is 99.5% me :) Heavier firearm and better trigger just make me look better.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I thought my XD45 trigger was great.

So accurate, felt so good.

Buddy of mine and I went to the range. He let me shoot his XD45 with the Powder Percision spring kit.

It is hard for me to describe how different it was. So so smooth... silk smooth. Such a short travel and reset.
Beautiful.

Got home and ordered the trigger spring/sear spring kit for $12 plus $4 shipping

Simple install, 10 minutes gave the gun thorough clean while apart.

For $16, an amazing deal and feel.

Doc

·
Registered
485 Posts
The XDm 5.25 shouldn't even be called a competition gun the way it came from the factory with the long heavy trigger. I put the Powder River Precision kit in both of my 5.25s and they are now truly a competition gun. I added a few of the PRP titanium parts kits that came with new springs that took my trigger pull down to 3# 1oz. I could have gone lighter but 3# is what I was shooting for so I'm happy with the kits.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Got home and ordered the trigger spring/sear spring kit for $12 plus $4 shipping

Simple install, 10 minutes gave the gun thorough clean while apart.

For $16, an amazing deal and feel.
Newb to this site here and love my XDm 45 3.8 I got in Oct of this year. At 50' running up NRA scores over 200 completely stock. After 1000 rounds and a lot of dry fire practice, I don't know the trigger well enough yet to make a change but out of curiosity I went to PRP's site to look for this $12 miracle and couldn't find it. At least not at that price. All kits start at $125 and up. Am I looking in the wrong place? Is there a part # you can direct me to?

Thanks
Taco

·
Registered
378 Posts
To the OP:

The XDM trigger actually is pretty good for a factory trigger. If you are new to all this, I suggest running it for a while and just enjoy the gun. (The XDM was my first: I still think I made a spectacular choice..)

That being said, after buying my PPQ and falling in love with that trigger I started wondering if I could improve the XDM trigger. I bought the PRP drop-in kit and installed it myself. (Did not install the "competition" springs included with the kit..) It has been great. Smoother, a little lighter, no overtravel, nicer reset...) I strongly recommend it when you are sure you want to go that route..

...still waiting for the drop-in for the XDS.....

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had Springer Precision do a CCW 4# trigger job on my 45 Service and love it. The pull is smooth with almost zero reset.

You can have it done with full confidence.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I purchased the competition trigger "drop in" kit from powder river precision a few years ago thinking it would be a "piece of cake" installation......wrong!
Maybe my old eyes or all of the files I tried were worn out but I finally gave up and e-mailed Daniel @powderriverprecision.net for help.
He immediately mailed me his phone number, (and I believe it was on a weekend).
I called him, then took the boxed up gun to Fed-ex that Monday to ship over night which was not cheap. Maybe it was baca use I bought the kit from PRP after talking to Daniel, but I had it back the next week. I have loved the pull ever since. I would recommend Daniel and this kit to anyone but it would have been cheaper to send it to him in the first place! Oh well....lesson learned!

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
Once you stop pulling your shots low-left, look into getting the trigger worked on. I presume your hits are low-left since you are new to the pistol and you are likely right handed. That said, if you are hitting what you are aiming for, don't change out the trigger unless you are looking for faster follow up shots and/or tighter groups.

The stock trigger is long and heavy for must with some experience. That said, to a new shooter, the trigger is just fine and perfect for most.

Put 1,000 rounds down range then look at making some mods. This is coming from a guy who sells mods.

Good luck!

-OS

1 - 20 of 23 Posts