Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had my xd9 service for a long time now and lately the trigger safety feels like the spring is rusty or something. I cleaned and oild as much as I can see/get to but it doesnt help. Everything functions fine and I have zero rust(AZ desert to thank) but it just feels like that spring is messed up. When you press just the safety part of the trigger you can hear and feel the spring working.

Is this a common problem(I did search but wasnt sure on the terms), is the fix pretty straight forward? Ive never taken it down beyond just a field strip before.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Have you tried a complete detail strip? There may be some fouling in the mechanism that's giving you the sound.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried a complete detail strip? There may be some fouling in the mechanism that's giving you the sound.
No I havent torn it down that far before. Its not a huge problem, just an annoyance really. The actual trigger pull feels fine once you press the safety fully.

If its not a common problem I might take it to a local shop and have them do an over haul on it since it is getting old now. Im just not sure how difficult a detail strip is having never done it before ha.

·
Registered
395 Posts
mine is going on five yeras old now too and I too can feel the spring depress in the trigger when I pull on it. Never really paid too much attention to it and can't honestly remember if it's a recent developement or not seeing as how it doesn't affect performace at all

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
BOTH my new XD's did this. I could slightly feel and hear the spring creeping and it was kind of choppy. Both times i fixed it by liberally spraying CLP in there, and swabbing the excess with Q-tips. however, your case might be different since it just started. Mine both happened when new.

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
I have never heard my spring...Hopefully you can get that fixed.

Try 100 psi compressed air to blow out any debris that might be in there.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont have an air compressor :mad: . I did spray some CLP in there from as many angles as I could with no effect.

It really does sound like an old mattress lol.

·
Registered
132 Posts
BOTH my new XD's did this. I could slightly feel and hear the spring creeping and it was kind of choppy. Both times i fixed it by liberally spraying CLP in there, and swabbing the excess with Q-tips. however, your case might be different since it just started. Mine both happened when new.
My new XD9 i can also hear the spring very annoying, It's like a squeaky bed if you mess with it a bunch.
Same for me with my 2 month old XD9 with about 600 rounds through it. I have the choppy bedspring trigger safety. I will have to try spraying the heck out of it with CLP.

Funny though, my XD9SC doesn't do this at all.. I just pulled it out of the holster and checked :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Squeaking is not all that bad at thing.

If the Trigger Spring retaining hole is not "grease filled", which it should not be, and so assuming the spring hole is lightly oiled, or dry, then, while listening carefully, 'slowly' pull the trigger.

You will hear the trigger spring flex inside, against the hole wall, each coil compressing in turn, and 'sliping-or squeeking" tighter into compression, each spring link, in turn, causing a tensioned-slip and the resultant annoying "squeak".

The remedy,...put in ear plugs, go out and shoot the gun, and you won't hear the spring squeak. :rolleyes:

I have found that turning up the volume on the music in the room, while practicing dry-firing, also works great to eliminate the squeak! :mrgreen:

9mmLives

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Squeaking is not all that bad at thing.

If the Trigger Spring retaining hole is not "grease filled", which it should not be, and so assuming the spring hole is lightly oiled, or dry, then, while listening carefully, 'slowly' pull the trigger.

You will hear the trigger spring flex inside, against the hole wall, each coil compressing in turn, and 'sliping-or squeeking" tighter into compression, each spring link, in turn, causing a tensioned-slip and the resultant annoying "squeak".

The remedy,...put in ear plugs, go out and shoot the gun, and you won't hear the spring squeak. :rolleyes:

I have found that turning up the volume on the music in the room, while practicing dry-firing, also works great to eliminate the squeak! :mrgreen:

9mmLives
Well its not just the sound, you can feel it too. It certainly isnt keeping me from shooting but its noticeable. If its something I can fix Id certainly like to have as smooth as possible trigger. Also I was wanting to be sure it wasnt a sign of a bigger problem, which seems to not be the case at least.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The spring is captive and influences nothing but the tensioning on the
safety lever.
Its like concealed-carry. If your not uncomfortable, no one will notice.
Likewise, if the spring squeakes and you ignore it, it never happened.

9mmLives

·
Registered
815 Posts
My pretty much brand new xd9sc does the same thing. little squeeky but doesnt bother me as long as it goes bang!

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
mine does it too with no loss of functionality. Just put a dot of oil on it. I don't want the XD's trigger safety to get a bad rap because of this thread. If it really bothers you, re-seat the spring by moving it around. With use, it can develop spring-creak.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts