Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, i posted on here a few days ago about accuracy problems with my new XD9.. I went to the range again yesterday and still couldn't get accurate with this gun. I noticed that when i pull the trigger (unloaded) the gun likes to twist in a sense. It has quite a long trigger pull. Is this normal for the XD9?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Sounds like you need to adjust your grip. This may make no sense, but how much of your finger is on/around the trigger, i.e. just the pad of your index or the inside of the first knuckle?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm, not sure to be honest. I squeeze the trigger just like any other pistol that i have. I just want to make sure that nothing is wrong with the gun as well. the trigger pull seems like 3/8" or more on each round. Kind of a lot if you ask me. I think this is my problem with accuracy. By the time the round is fired, the sites have moved perhaps due to the trigger stroke being longer then what i am used to.

Maybe i need help on my grip. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Not knowing anymore details than what you have posted, I'll throw in a few ideas.
As stated above, it could be your grip.
Are you squeezing the trigger to the point of resistance and then completing the firing or are you making one long pull without stopping at resistance?
Have you fired from a bench rest?
Get someone else to shoot it and see if they have the same results.

The take up is relatively short when compared to my Ruger or Beretta. Once the trigger hits resistance the distance to complete firing is short, maybe 1/4 inch or so.

Be sure the sights are not moving around. Are front and back centered in the dovetail and tight?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Try just using the pad (tip) of your trigger finger and pull straight back with constant pressure and don't flinch. Also, are you letting the trigger go all the way forward after firing a round? If so, stop that :) ! Just let the trigger forward until it re-sets.

Edit: TomSwift beat me to it^^

·
Registered
179 Posts
The XD does has a rather long trigger pull. Next time you do any dry firing, do it while holding a good sight picture. It's good practice, and it may help you identify what part of the trigger stroke you are having problems with.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
One thing that I would suggest.. and it may not be helpful, but I will suggest it..

I read about an excercise to find the trigger reset. This entails pulling the trigger the first time, then only releasing to the point when you feel the trigger reset, then pulling the trigger again until you empty the magazine.

For me, this was very helpful. I found that I had been "slapping" the trigger. Yes, I had been told that I was slapping the trigger.. but I didn't really know what they meant until I tried this excercise several times.

I find now, that even on the initial pull I am very aware of when I am going to release the sear.

It helped me.. It may or may not help you.. but I thought I would pipe in.

Raymond

·
Registered
492 Posts
I notice when I dry fire mine if I don't pull STRAIGHT back on the trigger the sights look like they tip down and left but if I try to pull straight back the sights stay lined up on target much better, I think this is why I was having trouble shooting low and left the first and only time I've shot it, I'll get the chance to shoot some this weekend and I'm going to test out my theory.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good suggestions. I plan to dry fire my XD a few times tonight. It seems as if mine has excessive trigger pull and i am still thinking the gun moves down and left. I will try all of these suggestions. I really like the gun, but i am going to have to become more accurate with it. Its really getting discouraging at this point. Everything looks good when lining up the sights, but the bullet doesn't hit where i aim.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Down and to the left for a right handed shooter is usually caused by jerking or slapping the trigger.

My accuracy improved the most by dry firing while watching TV. Probably not the NRA approved method, but it could be a good way to get a new TV if your not insanely careful. I got to watch the front sight as I gently pressed the trigger after taking out the slack of both the safety and trigger. The old way I was gripping the gun and the portion of my finger on the trigger caused the gun to jerk left when the "hammer" fell. You have to find the positioning that feels the best for you while allowing you to control the weapon. For me it involved taking the trigger finger of my off hand and placing it under the trigger guard in a position that looked like it was on a second trigger on the bottom of the guard. Usually placed at a about the static position of the real trigger. I don't allow that finger to tense at all. It also doesn't move at all. I don't know why this works for me, but it does. The gun doesn't sway as much, and I stay relaxed but controlled as far as tension on the weapon thru the entire action.

Some folks get messed up by setting their finger up on the safety of the trigger. Then their finger is off when they actually get to the trigger. I had to take the slack out of the safety first, then reposition my finger until it was in a position so as to not pull the gun off alignment while squeezing the trigger. Then I take the slack out of the trigger until I feel it ramp up in tension. I re-sight the weapon and finally take the trigger back until it goes bang. Obviously not while watching TV, but at the range.

When you let the trigger forward only let it go until you feel it is ready to fire again.

Don't worry if you practice dry firing each week enough it will come naturally... after you think about it for awhile at the range, every time you go to the range.

Our local instructor says you only have to complete a muscle movement 2000 times properly before it commited to muscle memory. My muscles must be a little slow on the uptake as it's been allot longer for me. Then he went on to say shooting is a perishable skill. Use it or it will get worse. At first I thought he was just trying to sell more ammo, then I didn't shoot at all over the Holidays. Yeah he's right.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Dry firing is a recommended activity.. and wise to do.. but trust me on this.. check, double check, and check it one more time before you practice.. Even dry firing, treat your gun like it is loaded... If you ever make a mistake, you will never forgive yourself.

Raymond

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Doesn't sound like the gun is inaccurate to me.

Work on your basic fundamentals.....Read. Do a search on this forum...Lots of good info.

or try mattburkett.com
brainenos.com forum section
max michael.com
robleatham.com

·
Registered
17 Posts
semi said:
hmmm, not sure to be honest. I squeeze the trigger just like any other pistol that i have. I just want to make sure that nothing is wrong with the gun as well. the trigger pull seems like 3/8" or more on each round. Kind of a lot if you ask me. I think this is my problem with accuracy. By the time the round is fired, the sites have moved perhaps due to the trigger stroke being longer then what i am used to.

Maybe i need help on my grip. Any suggestions?
I have the same problem with all the Glocks I have, except the single column G36 .45. My hand is to small to get anything but the pad of my trigger finger on the trigger. When I start to pull the trigger I've notice my finger is pushing the gun to the left. Of course, Glock has a short trigger reset and I change my grip to the inside of the finger joint for the following shots. Also you need to shoot with both hands, it's a lot more steady. You might adjust your sight in the direction you want the bullett to go if that doesn't help. I'm picking up my XD Tactical .45 GAP tomorrow. It will be the first Springfield I've ever own, all my other are Glock (8 all total), (2) Sigs, (2 )Walthers, (! )Kimber CDP and a couple of Kel-Tecs (32&380)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
The Tengu said:
Don't pull the trigger.

Press it like a button.

+10000.... ^thats a shooter, and he is aboslutly right

dont pull the trigger, dont squeeze the trigger... PRESS the trigger.

there are 3 parts to a trigger press

1. take up - where you take up the slack in the trigger untill.
2. press - press the trigger using a constant steady motion, dont speed up, dont slow down.
3. follow through - keep pressing untill you cant press anymore.

and there can be a 4.

4. release - release untill you feel t he reset, then start from #2^.

semi said:
good suggestions. I plan to dry fire my XD a few times tonight. It seems as if mine has excessive trigger pull and i am still thinking the gun moves down and left. I will try all of these suggestions. I really like the gun, but i am going to have to become more accurate with it. Its really getting discouraging at this point. Everything looks good when lining up the sights, but the bullet doesn't hit where i aim.

set up a target at about 7 yrds. put 5-10 rounds into the target while aiming for the center. take your time with the shots, try to make the tightest group possible.

post a pic of your results and we can annalyze it and tell you what your doing wrong and tell you how to fix it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts