Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only shot one 1911 - a Kimber. The trigger pull on that gun was very short. A little too short for me - it seemed like it was all or nothing. Several times I shot a round before I expected, while I was re-aiming at the target.

My question is - is this a feature of the 1911, or just the particular gun I was shooting?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I have only shot one 1911 - a Kimber. The trigger pull on that gun was very short. A little too short for me - it seemed like it was all or nothing. Several times I shot a round before I expected, while I was re-aiming at the target.

My question is - is this a feature of the 1911, or just the particular gun I was shooting?
Thats pretty much a characteristic of 1911s. They have a short, crisp trigger pull. Most single action triggers will share similar characteristics.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Get used to a good 1911 trigger and you will wonder how anyone shoots anything else. Yes, it is normal!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats pretty much a characteristic of 1911s. They have a short, crisp trigger pull. Most single action triggers will share similar characteristics.

Thanks for the response. I've fired SA before, but this seemed a really extreme. I really couldn't distinguish any kind of trigger-pull at all. It was an on/off kind of thing.

I'll definitely see if I can try another model sometime......

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I LOVE the short trigger pull on my Dan Wesson 1911, but if that isn't your thing, maybe try the Para LDA (Light Double Action) trigger? [disclaimer: I don't have any experience with the Para 1911s]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure I could get used to it, and I actually shot it very well (even the 2-3 that went off early!).

I was just curious if that was a feature of the 1911 design, or just that model...

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
The military standard for the 1911 was a 6-7 lb trigger pull.

Many newer 1911 style pistols are coming out of the box with trigger pulls in the 4-5 lb range.

What you experienced was a well tuned trigger with no take-up.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Uhhh...hello...thats why most people gravitate towards the 1911...the light and easy trigger pull. That is the appeal of it over the d/a and DAO pistol, if you ask me.

Since the 1911 was THE autopistol we shot, growing up, I had a harder time getting used to the heavier d/a pistol triggers, but you have the opposite problem! LOL

It takes some getting used to but most people find they actually shoot BETTER with the short light trigger of the 1911.

- Brickboy240

·
Registered
203 Posts
All of the trigger pulls on my 1911's are slightly different. The shortest touchiest is on my sw1911pd(I'm pretty sure it didn't come this way). The DW CBOB is a little longer than the rest but still has a nice trigger. The others do not have factory trigger jobs so they don't count.

·
Registered
137 Posts
thats too funny! he shoots a real gun and woners if it's normal!LOL

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yeah, the 1911 trigger design is a benchmark. I grew up shooting match rifles and a T/C Contender, so measuring trigger pull in pounds rather than ounces (OK, grams) was a big step. I adore my 1911's for that very reason.

I also really like the XD trigger, it's the first striker-fired combat handgun I've fired/owned whose trigger doesn't feel like compressing a turd with a noodle.;)

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
My Springer Loaded has a 5.5 Lb trigger 0 take up and quite crisp, My Kimber is in the 3lb range and exquisite it got much sweeter after hard chroming but I consider that my target pistol and feel that the trigger is too light for safe carry.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Don't they say every shot firing is supposed to be a suprise?:lol: I've been shooting a friends Kimber Ultra CDPII the last couple of times to the range, and even with the 3" barrel, it's very accurate, and I shoot it well. It's trigger is 3 3/4-4lbs and I love it. Makes fast, accurate shooting much easier.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The trigger & grip angle are the best part of the 1911 design. Once you enjoy even a crisp 4# 1911 trigger, shooting a mushy Glock or even XD will bug you.:mrgreen:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts