Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son-in-law has an XDs .45 ACP and he cleaned it today. He is a new shooter, and I was giving him some tips about cleaning and lubricating.

After he thoroughly cleaned the gun, I showed him where and how to lubricate it. When we got to the frame and its lubrication points, I noticed that the trigger was back, and seemed to be stuck there. I could move the trigger forward again by pulling on it, but there was a sharp click, and it was difficult to move. It is also relatively difficult to pull the trigger. When the trigger is pulled, it remains back, and does not reset until the slide is racked.

We reassembled the now-lubricated gun, and tried it out with some snap caps. The trigger does not reset without racking the slide, and it just doesn't feel right to me. I have an XD-45, and my trigger is different. So is my daughter's XD-9 subcompact.

I am not familiar with this gun, but I wondered if this was a normal function -- if it is operating the way the pistol was designed. He plans on taking the gun to the range, but I am afraid that the trip won't be much fun if his gun is broken.

Am I over-reacting, here? Is this normal behavior for an XDs?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I've got a question about your terminology. You're saying the trigger doesn't reset and you also say it won't come forward. Are you using these two interchangeably? The reset is when it reengages the sear and won't happen until after the the slide is racked. It's the slight click you hear if you slowly release the trigger after firing. So if that's the issue, I'd say it's normal. If it's not moving forward at all after firing then you do have a problem.

One way to check with the unloaded gun or with snap caps:
rack the slide, pull the trigger and keep it fully depressed, rack the slide, slowly release the trigger to feel the reset point, then pull the trigger again. I do this with all my firearms anyway so I know what kind of pretravel it has.

That being said, if the gun doesn't feel right, have someone who knows how that model works check it out. Or go to a LGS and ask if you can dry fire the display model. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay. Thanks, Noah.

I tried that and it seems to work okay. I guess it is just a part of the design that I didn't understand.

I believe that it is working correctly because if I hold the trigger and rack the slide, the trigger will smoothly reset by itself with a distinct "click."

Thanks, again! :-D

·
Banned
0 Posts
It's based off the Glock trigger, Back not cocked, forward cocked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts