Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am in need of a little XD help I am new to the site and the XD and was wondering what some opinions on trigger components out there, I have tested my XDM and it tips the scales at 5.5lb i would like to get that down to the 3.5-4lb range, any suggestions welcomed

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi and welcome. You can do a search on the forum about trigger kits. There is a bundle of threads concerning trigger kits. Powder River Precision, Springer Precision, Springfield Custom shop. Scroll down to the sponsor section and you will find them. All the kits are terrific. It's just where you want to spend.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You'll probably find most people suggesting the PRP or Springer trigger jobs.

I personally just installed the PRP trigger yesterday, and shot it for the first time in an IPSC competition today. I'm in love. It makes the gun so much easier to shoot accurately when trying to shoot fast. Light trigger with an overall very short pull.

I thought I loved my XDM before. Now after putting the trijicon HD night sights and PRP trigger on it at the same time, I'm checking to see if it's legal to marry a gun. I want to have it's babies. Is that weird?

·
Banned
38 Posts
it is my opinion that one should not **** with the stock trigger group, as far as replacing parts with aftermarket parts. use the parts that you have one the gun a improved the lock angles on the ''disconnector'' and sear. polish it up with a stone and a dremel tool. you do have to somewhat be good at this sort of thing, but it is worth it. dont go buy some parts, do it right.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Beyond some simple polishing, there is not much that can be done with any modifiation of the stock parts without removing the hardened surface finish. Ligt polishing can reduce trigger pull slightly and achieve a smoother release feel. However to obtain reduction of the pre and post travel (where the majority of improvement is found) you do need the changed geometry available with the aftermarket parts. Gunsmithing the original trigger group to the same degree of performance would require welding/drilling/fabrication then hardening and tempering the parts in addition to very good knowledge of the exact relationships of the interfacing. With the mentioned DIY kits, if you can disassemble the pistol with help of a detailed guide video and are competent to handle emory paper and a small file (goes faster and sharp edges are easier than with a complete sanding job) you can have a very fine trigger in less than an hour. (20-30 minute for next firearm). Plus knowing the result will yield a safe to operate pistol, no ruined parts and keep the originals as backup.
If you need to return the pistol to SA for warranty work - reinstall the original parts. There is a good chance any altered parts would be replaced with stock parts before the pistol is returned to you without the altered parts included.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Hello I am in need of a little XD help I am new to the site and the XD and was wondering what some opinions on trigger components out there, I have tested my XDM and it tips the scales at 5.5lb i would like to get that down to the 3.5-4lb range, any suggestions welcomed

If all you want is lower pull weight, for 15 bucks or less you can simply replace the springs.

XD/XDM Reduced Power Spring Kit - PRP~ XD & XDM Perfection!

Adding a full kit is pretty easy and the reduced pre/post trigger travel is VERY welcome. A light polish (really just a smoothing) of the striker and sear will make the trigger feel much better. I don't like hand tools to polish like the dremel as it's easy to take too much metal off. A 6 or 8" polishing wheel on a grinder at low speed is very controllable and makes short work of it.

I would also NEVER recommend anyone but a highly qualified and experienced smith change angles or geometries of the trigger group or sear. It's far too easy to bugger it up resulting in an unsafe or unreliable weapon.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
it is my opinion that one should not **** with the stock trigger group, as far as replacing parts with aftermarket parts. use the parts that you have one the gun a improved the lock angles on the ''disconnector'' and sear. polish it up with a stone and a dremel tool. you do have to somewhat be good at this sort of thing, but it is worth it. dont go buy some parts, do it right.
Worst advice that could be given and the best way to muck up your gun, dremils are the worst things you could use to do a trigger job. Altering angles on the sear can lead to an unsafe gun for those that don't know about positive and negative sear angles. The disconnector you mean the trigger bar? That nub on the top to the trigger bar is the disconnector and it has nothing to do with trigger weight.

·
Banned
38 Posts
AGALINDO, what I am trying to say is there is a lot of work that can be done with the stock trigger of almost every firearm to make it more crisp, and smoother. most guns are more accurate then their shooters so it is easy to say it is the gun. anyone can see parts in relation to their wear pattern and where the rough parts are, and where to polish.

now for all you purists out there who think you need a factory armorer to mount a scope on your .22, ,i was taught in special warfare school, to use what you had and to make the best of things by improvising ways of doing the same thing. you can do wonders with a dremel tool, if you know what you are doing, same as a file or polishing stone. :twisted:

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Worst advice that could be given and the best way to muck up your gun, dremils are the worst things you could use to do a trigger job. Altering angles on the sear can lead to an unsafe gun for those that don't know about positive and negative sear angles. The disconnector you mean the trigger bar? That nub on the top to the trigger bar is the disconnector and it has nothing to do with trigger weight.
^^^ +100 Polishing trigger parts should be left to an expert. Changing an angle or even slightly rounding off a corner or edge can create an unsafe weapon.

That being said, I installed a PRP Ultimate trigger kit myself. No fitting (except for the over-travel stop) is required. There are two videos on YouTube that walk you through this simple procedure. I ended up with a 3.5#, short stroke trigger that I really like.

If the gun is new, I'd snap the trigger (shooting or dry firing) at least a couple hundred times before I changed anything.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Try Daves Metalworks in CA or Accuracy Speaks in Phoenix. I can verify that Dave does awesome work, best trigger on an Xd/Xdm I have felt. I tried the Springer and Daves blows it away. I have one gun at Accuracy and waiting to see how good it is. I hear that Accuracy does work second to none, can't wait to get the gun to compare to one done by Dave.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Beyond some simple polishing, there is not much that can be done with any modifiation of the stock parts without removing the hardened surface finish. Ligt polishing can reduce trigger pull slightly and achieve a smoother release feel. However to obtain reduction of the pre and post travel (where the majority of improvement is found) you do need the changed geometry available with the aftermarket parts. Gunsmithing the original trigger group to the same degree of performance would require welding/drilling/fabrication then hardening and tempering the parts in addition to very good knowledge of the exact relationships of the interfacing. With the mentioned DIY kits, if you can disassemble the pistol with help of a detailed guide video and are competent to handle emory paper and a small file (goes faster and sharp edges are easier than with a complete sanding job) you can have a very fine trigger in less than an hour. (20-30 minute for next firearm). Plus knowing the result will yield a safe to operate pistol, no ruined parts and keep the originals as backup.
If you need to return the pistol to SA for warranty work - reinstall the original parts. There is a good chance any altered parts would be replaced with stock parts before the pistol is returned to you without the altered parts included.
I agree 100%. If you feel comfortable doing it yourself go with an aftermarket kit. If not there are several reputable shops that'll do the work for you for a reasonable price. I just put 150 rds through my 45 tac yesterday. First time shooting it since installing the PRP easy fit kit. I'm VERY happy with the results. And they're 100% reversable. The first pull is only 1/4" now with a 1/8" reset. It's much smoother as well wich makes it seem lighter. In fact I believe anything lighter on a trigger this short would be dangerous in my hands. :shock: WHOA TRIGGER !!! :) Best regards,Tim.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Mine was 6.5 out of the box.
Just a basic cleaning and polishing of typical surfaces and mine is now just over 5. just remove burrs and polish the metal interfacing parts and you can get it lighter by a pound or more.

4.5 -5 is a good range. That's just my opinion though.

I actually like my XD Service 4" 9mm just the way it is.

I'm just deciding on how to increase the tactile feel of the grips without doing any stippling like some.

Some of those stipple jobs look absolutely disgusting....:shock:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mine was 6.5 out of the box.
Just a basic cleaning and polishing of typical surfaces and mine is now just over 5. just remove burrs and polish the metal interfacing parts and you can get it lighter by a pound or more.

4.5 -5 is a good range. That's just my opinion though.

I actually like my XD Service 4" 9mm just the way it is.

I'm just deciding on how to increase the tactile feel of the grips without doing any stippling like some.

Some of those stipple jobs look absolutely disgusting....:shock:
I just put a set of xtreme rubber grips from prp on mine tonight. They're a big improvement. They're easy to install. They provide good traction. They're soft and comfortable for IWB carry. + They're cheap and 100% reversable. Time will tell how they hold up.------Best Regards,Tim.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I will be getting my XDM back from Accuracy Speak's in Phoenix next week. I will post my thoughts as to how it compares to the one I had done by Dave's Metal works and Springer Precision. Dave's work will be hard to surpass as it is really a great trigger.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I will be getting my XDM back from Accuracy Speak's in Phoenix next week. I will post my thoughts as to how it compares to the one I had done by Dave's Metal works and Springer Precision. Dave's work will be hard to surpass as it is really a great trigger.
Looking forward to your report. I may be interested in having them do my trigger too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts