Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you carry a gun isn't reducing the trigger pull more of a liabilty if you ever had to use it? Example: If you went to court and the guys lawyer says you built a gun to make it easier to kill someone! I've just heard people mention this before.
I say this because I carry my XD and still want a trigger job, but I don't want to get myself in trouble. I might just have everything minus the trigger pull reduction.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Massad Ayoob has, according to him, been an expert witness for these kinds of trials before and he claims these arguments are easily defeated. I can't remember the counter-arguments that he has used though.

(Other posters - Let's not make this into an argument about massad ayoob please.)

brad cook

·
Registered
533 Posts
the lawyers will find any reason to try to attack you, if you shoot in compitions they will say you practice to kill people, if you use HP's they will say you use bullets made to kill, and so on....

if getting a trigger job makes you shoot better, go for it.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I look at it if a trigger job helps me shoot better and I end up putting the bullet(s) where I'm aiming...that is chest or head (whichever is easiest to hit) then that's one less son of a bitch to go into court and lie trying to screw me over.

Sad way to think of it but its the truth anymore.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about using bullets with smiley faces on the front. Or ones that say: If you can read this your f*cked?
Hehe.

·
Registered
181 Posts
wJAKE19 said:
if you shoot in compitions they will say you practice to kill people
wJAKE19 said:
if you use HP's they will say you use bullets made to kill
Isn't killing people (in the act of defending yourself) the whole idea behind carrying a defensive weapon?

Surely they don't expect you too shoot the gun out of the BG's hand John Wayne style do they? If he has threatend me with deadly force I can only assume he has every intention of ending my life and I will respond in like manner. The alternative...when he recovers he comes back to try again only this time he is not alone.

·
Registered
533 Posts
what I am saying is when you shoot someone you are probly going to be sued, either by the person you shot, if he lives, or by his family. in todays age it does not matter if the shooting is totaly legal or not you'r going to get sued.

ofcourse if you are defending yourself shoot the hell out of the guy, I would not hesitate to do the same, and I carry HP's and I practice shooting bad guys, and I have extra things on my gun to make it shoot better.

but when you shoot someone and when you get sued the leech (lawyer) for the bad guy is going to say these things.

I'm on your side, I say shoot em all let god sort em out.

thats all I was saying, I was not trying to defend any bad guy. I should have explained better.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
DigMe said:
Massad Ayoob has, according to him, been an expert witness for these kinds of trials before and he claims these arguments are easily defeated. I can't remember the counter-arguments that he has used though.

(Other posters - Let's not make this into an argument about massad ayoob please.)

brad cook
Massad also recommends the instalation of the New York trigger on your glock to make such accusations false. From what I remember from his lecture last summer he thinks lightening the trigger is a legal liability, although it can be defeated by arguing that it makes for more accurate shot placement thereby reducing danger to bystanders. I am not sure there is a good answer, if the prosecutor wants you, he will find an excuse to go after you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a trigger job done on my XD. The gunsmith I used asked me how light I wanted the trigger to be. I told him between 3-4 lbs. He quickly replied that 4 lbs was defensible in court. I wasn't really sure what he meant by that but he recommended the 4lbs over the 3lbs if this gun was going to be something other than a "range pistol" (plan to use mine for home protection). I live in Illinois by the way (not Chicago). That's my $.02.

Peace!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think that any mods to guns are ok, but you may have to explain in court. Making the trigger lighter so that you are faster and more accurate is perfectly reasonable as long as you can articulate it as being done to improve your accuracy to avoid missing the BG and injuring an innocent bystander.

I think where a lighter trigger would be a problem is if you have some kind of AD/ND or other accidental shooting (maybe some kid finds/steals your gun and kills another kid). A lawyer might be able to convince a jury that the trigger was so light that it contributed to the accident and thus was a dangerously modified firearm.

I agree with the other posts that say you will be sued for anything they can think of. You used hollowpoints, you didn't use hollowpoints. You had a handheld flashlight, you had a weapon mounted flashlight, you had no flashlight at all. You practice regularly, you don't practice enough. Blah, blah, blah.

IMHO the key is to be sure that you understand the laws regarding the use of deadly force, and then if you are ever in a position to need to apply deadly force you will be prepared to explain how you feared for your life or feared serious bodily harm and used you firearm for self defense or defense of your family.

It seems very good judgement to be as prepared as possible. This means being proficient with your weapon and having your weapon configured to the optimal setup for you.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I too don't want to start something where poeple argue about this Massad Ayoob person, but could someone explain to me who he is and why his opinion on firearms may or not matter. At this point, I am an un-informed firearms owner. I want to change that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
181 Posts
wJAKE19 said:
what I am saying is when you shoot someone you are probly going to be sued, either by the person you shot, if he lives, or by his family. in todays age it does not matter if the shooting is totaly legal or not you'r going to get sued.

ofcourse if you are defending yourself shoot the hell out of the guy, I would not hesitate to do the same, and I carry HP's and I practice shooting bad guys, and I have extra things on my gun to make it shoot better.

but when you shoot someone and when you get sued the leech (lawyer) for the bad guy is going to say these things.

I'm on your side, I say shoot em all let god sort em out.

thats all I was saying, I was not trying to defend any bad guy. I should have explained better.

I'm sorry I wasn't ragging on you I was directing my wrath towards the people who don't think we should be allowed to protect ourselves properly. I understood what you were saying.

·
Registered
298 Posts
New rules of gun ownership and CCW according to Mr. Liberal Law.....

Make sure your gun rusts! Keeping it clean makes it seem like your proud of it.

DO NOT go to the range! Practice makes you a trained cop killer.

Do Not visit forums like this. Gun formums are the birth place of Militia conspiracy and Cop killers.

Most important of all........NO trigger Jobs! Makes it easier to kill cops.

·
Registered
165 Posts
03RangerXLT said:
I too don't want to start something where poeple argue about this Massad Ayoob person, but could someone explain to me who he is and why his opinion on firearms may or not matter. At this point, I am an un-informed firearms owner. I want to change that.

Thanks!
Ayoob is a former cop turned trainer, turned writer. He wrote some verry good books on tactical shooting. Gunfighting techiques, and other things. Some love him, some consider him out of date.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Nickle1 said:
New rules of gun ownership and CCW according to Mr. Liberal Law.....

Make sure your gun rusts! Keeping it clean makes it seem like your proud of it.

DO NOT go to the range! Practice makes you a trained cop killer.

Do Not visit forums like this. Gun formums are the birth place of Militia conspiracy and Cop killers.

Most important of all........NO trigger Jobs! Makes it easier to kill cops.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lawyers are like feral dogs and cats!
I hate Liberal Lawyers that represent SCUM!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
one-eyed-fatman said:
if you use HP's they will say you use bullets made to kill
That ones easily defeated in court. You use HP's to enter the body and stay there rather than going completely through and hurting a innocent bystander.
Very well put!
But a lawyer will turn those words around to hurt you....especially evil LIBERAL LAWYERS!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
And a trigger job is easily defended on the same logic...

With a trigger job, I can shoot more accurately, thereby insuring that no innocent bystanders are hit.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
[TASF said:
Overkill]And a trigger job is easily defended on the same logic...

With a trigger job, I can shoot more accurately, thereby insuring that no innocent bystanders are hit.
It really don't matter. Lawyers are about having big heads and money. Winning is everything and the truth is just something that gets in the way.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Florida finely removed the flee statment from our gun law, now you can shoot them if they break in home, bussiness and Auto, you don't have to flee to another room or run from your car.

All the years of the courts weakening our rights have been set right

1 - 20 of 28 Posts