Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4.5 inch XDM 9. I only shoot it in IDPA. I was thinking that dropping the trigger pull a pound or 2 might help, especially during transitions.
I've looked at the Springer precision kits and they include a sear, trigger bar, and trigger/sear springs.

The powder river kit seems to concentrate on a few different parts, trigger, striker safety bar, and striker, trigger, and sear springs.

Both are roughly in the same ballpark, money wise.

What do I risk if I just go with a new striker safety bar (to reduce pre-travel) and new trigger/sear springs? I hate to spend another $120-$150 bucks on a gun I may trade up from next year(and don't want to have to explain it to the wife, which honestly, is more of a concern).

I'm also concerned that I'm just not good enough yet to appreciate the difference in the new precision parts. That sounds horrible, I know, but I'm definitely no expert in this.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I have used both the Springer and Powder River trigger kits on several of my guns. Both are excellent but do things somewhat differently. The Springer kit, in my experience, requires a little more time to install simply because the overtravel is adjusted by removing metal from the trigger bar, while the Powder River uses a new trigger which is some kind of plastic and the overtravel stop is integral and plastic can be removed more easily than metal. The Springer kit, once installed, also will require some attention to the trigger safety to make it functional, because it positions the trigger a little further to the rear than it would be in stock condition, so some material is usually required to be removed from the top of that part too.

Both will lighten the trigger, shorten the travel, and shorten the reset. Just using lighter springs and the Powder River Striker Safety Lever will lighten the trigger somewhat, but the overtravel will still be excessive without the new trigger, and the new Safety Lever is meant to work with their sear which repositions the catch that activates their Safety Lever, so I don't know if you would have to remove any metal from that catch on the stock sear or not in order for it to reset the trigger correctly. However, just replacing some of the springs will lighten the trigger which may be enough for you if that is all you want. You will still have a long take-up and overtravel to deal with, but the trigger will be lighter. You can talk to either or both of those vendors and see what options are right for you. Either kit can be installed by someone with a modicum of mechanical skill, and they both have vids posted which will help you with the process no matter what you decide.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I have the PRP Ultimate Match trigger kit on my EDC, an XD9SC, sand I LOVE it! The trigger pull was shortened to less than 3/8" total travel, and the pull was reduced to about 3.5 pounds. After practicing with it, I moved the point of pressure on my trigger finger from the first joint to the middle of the pad. All I gotta do is tickle it and BANG. For me, that improves my accuracy and speed of followups.

You don't really "risk" anything (except the money) since none of the original parts are modified and any or all can be reinstalled if you don't like the results. However, if you want something really close to a SA 1911 in a striker gun, this will do it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The PRP extreme drop in kit is the easiest and best trigger you get for the amount of money, time and effort.

Only problem is if you're shooting IDPA, the PRP trigger with the external over travel stop is not legal in SSP class. Only ESP.

If you shoot ESP, get the extreme drop in kit. If you shoot SSP, you may want to go with the Springer kit, because all the modification is done internally.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I am not sure about IDPA forbidding the PRP trigger, since Springfield itself uses the same trigger now on some of their guns, and it is therefore a "stock" part. But, IDPA has some strange rules and I don't shoot that sport so I'll take your word for it. Regardless, it is a stock part and perhaps there will be a rule change if there isn't already. Stock Service Pistol and Enhanced Service Pistol do have different rules, but really, it is a stock part.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went looking throughout the Springfield websight and it looked like they were on some of the XD S models. If that's it, then it should be OK. They have to be on production guns and not on just guns coming from a custom shop (the way I read the rule). I may just order the lower end kit and try it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts