Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just realized that when I pull the trigger on my XD-357 (dry firing), it seems to be grinding. The grinding seems like it is coming from the area towards the right rear of the gun (if looking down at the slide, gun pointing away (of course)). I just shot 200 rounds through it last weekend (with the 9mm barrel) and just cleaned it after that. Anyone know anything in particular to check or have heard of anything similar?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Is there any chance you could have gotten sand, or dirt in the internal works? There should be no grinding. Maybe a detail cleaning would help.

Raymond

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Captain Ray said:
Is there any chance you could have gotten sand, or dirt in the internal works? There should be no grinding. Maybe a detail cleaning would help.

Raymond
Yea, I'm thinking I might should just give the thing a good spraying with the air compressor.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Careful with the compressor in that they will build up water and transfer it to your gun. Of course if you have a compressor you probably know this. Anyway just clean her right when your'e done and see if that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well either the air compressor didn't remove the dirt, or dirt wasn't the problem. It still is grinding.

Add to that the fact that I left the gun in my glove box for about 4 hours yesterday and it was covered in rust when I removed it, and I'm thinking I might have to break the bank and add a Glock to my collection.

I will look at those instructions later today and take it apart to try to figure out the problem.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I hope you aren't just trolling, and I am not wasting my time.

It seems unlikely that after four hours that your pistol in your glove box developed enough rust to "cover" it. Never mind that leaving your pistol in your glove box is a bad idea in the first place.. it should be on your hip where it belongs. A simple wipe down with a little oil or solvent will take care of that.

There are a limited number of parts that move associated with the trigger. If you are hearing a "grinding" sound, it must be something rubbing wrongly (ok.. wrongly is not a word.. but this is the internet.) on the trigger, the trigger bar, or the trigger bar spring. Those are the only things I can think of that would cause a grinding sound/feel. You mentioned that you thought that the noise was coming from the right side rear of the pistol frame.. that would lead me to believe that you have some sand or dirt behind the trigger bar.

That's the best I can do for you bud.. good luck... and keep your pistol lightly oiled, and on your hip at all times.

Raymond

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Captain Ray said:
Definitely not trolling. I've been here for a decent amount of time and have had my XD since my 21st birthday (10/22/03). I'm being serious about these problems.

It seems unlikely that after four hours that your pistol in your glove box developed enough rust to "cover" it.
Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "cover," as actually only one side of the slide had rust. While the rust did not "cover" the slide in the sense that I could no longer see the black color of the slide, it was a very heavy coating of rust (especially for the small time frame), more centralized towards the rear of the slide.

Never mind that leaving your pistol in your glove box is a bad idea in the first place.. it should be on your hip where it belongs.
I know, but I do not carry the gun into work. I figured that it is better for me to bring my gun to work and leave it in the locked car in the parking lot and be able to carry the gun into any place that I happen to go to between 7:00 and 5:00 that day, rather than leaving it at home and being completely without it all day.

A simple wipe down with a little oil or solvent will take care of that.
Yea, I knew that it would come off with some oiling, which it did, but my main point was that it is a pain in the ass to have to potentially oil the gun every day. Not to mention the fact that I had just oiled the gun the night before.

There are a limited number of parts that move associated with the trigger. If you are hearing a "grinding" sound, it must be something rubbing wrongly (ok.. wrongly is not a word.. but this is the internet.) on the trigger, the trigger bar, or the trigger bar spring. Those are the only things I can think of that would cause a grinding sound/feel. You mentioned that you thought that the noise was coming from the right side rear of the pistol frame.. that would lead me to believe that you have some sand or dirt behind the trigger bar.
The noise actually sounds like it is coming from the rear area of the slide, but I will look online and verify the location of the parts you mention (I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about though).

·
Registered
823 Posts
Captain Ray said:

It seems unlikely that after four hours that your pistol in your glove box developed enough rust to "cover" it. Never mind that leaving your pistol in your glove box is a bad idea in the first place.. it should be on your hip where it belongs. A simple wipe down with a little oil or solvent will take care of that.

That's the best I can do for you bud.. good luck... and keep your pistol lightly oiled, and on your hip at all times.

Raymond
Ray, here's a pic of the condition my XD was in after shooting an IDPA qualifier in the rain and then wearing it home, against and under wet clothing for about a one hour drive. Wiped down with a silicone and oil rag before leaving the match.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is what mine looked like as far as location of the rust goes, but the rust wasn't as think.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I am glad you are not a troll.. when I hear "I am having problems with my XD, I'm going to buy a Glock" I usually think something is afoot..

The only other part I can think of that is associated with the trigger pull that could cause a "grinding" sound that I have not mentioned is the sear. The XD is a single action weapon (despite the confusion of gun experts on this issue.) When you pull the trigger, it moves the trigger bar, which releases the sear and the gun goes "BANG!" I can't imagine that the sear is your problem. Which leaves grime or perhaps a metal burr behind the trigger bar rubbing against the frame making that noise/feel.

I am no gunsmith or anything.. but I am pretty familiar with the XD.. If a detail cleaning doesn't solve your problem, then you are going to need a pro..

Raymond

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
SKeefe said:
Yea, I knew that it would come off with some oiling, which it did, but my main point was that it is a pain in the ass to have to potentially oil the gun every day. Not to mention the fact that I had just oiled the gun the night before.
I would read this thread if I were you since it covers a similar situation...very similar in fact; also about a gun that rusted quickly in a car's glove box.

http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=22357&highlight=

I don't have a clue as to what would cause the grinding feel and/or sound. I do know Capt. Ray has disassembled his gun and knows what he's talking about when it comes to making an informed guess as to what the problem may be. I have never had the nerve to take my XD down beyond field striping to clean it.

But the rust issue....we've discussed this a thousand times on this forum. I would say that it seems to be a luck of the draw. As if the manufacturing process has great quality control right up until the end, and when they put their proprietary finish on, some guns get a finish that is durable and some get a finish that is less than useless.

But rust is preventable. I would certainly try some of the products mentioned in the other thread and see if any of them solve your rust problem. Also, SA will refinish the gun if it has a real rust problem.

SKeefe said:
I'm thinking I might have to break the bank and add a Glock to my collection.
To give up on the XD because of a curable cosmetic issue and go to a Glock seems to me to be an extreme over reaction.

The Glock is a fine gun. I happen to believe the XD is a better gun. Why is a whole long post. But that seems not to be relevant to your situation.

You should take the approach that the finish problem can either be prevented with a different way of maintaining the gun or getting it refinished under warranty.

Unless you think the Glock is a better gun. If you do, I know I for one would be very interested to know why you would feel that (aside from the Tennifer finish).

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Delija said:
SKeefe said:
I'm thinking I might have to break the bank and add a Glock to my collection.
To give up on the XD because of a curable cosmetic issue and go to a Glock seems to me to be an extreme over reaction.

The Glock is a fine gun. I happen to believe the XD is a better gun. Why is a whole long post. But that seems not to be relevant to your situation.
I don't plan on selling the XD. In the future I do plan on buying another handgun, and instead of a sub-compact XD that I had planned on buying, it just may end up being a Glock. This is simply for the reason that I know Glocks are just as reliable if not more reliable, and do not have the rust problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
R/T Performance said:
If it is rusted send it to SA and have them Amory coat it.The will cover all costs if it is rusting.
I would love to do that; the only problem is that I do not have another gun to use for protection in the meantime.

Does it make the same noise with the slide off.
No it does not, and I'm an idiot for not mentioning that before.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
SKeefe said:
R/T Performance said:
If it is rusted send it to SA and have them Amory coat it.The will cover all costs if it is rusting.
I would love to do that; the only problem is that I do not have another gun to use for protection in the meantime.

Does it make the same noise with the slide off.
No it does not, and I'm an idiot for not mentioning that before.
Well for the love that all is holy! That's kind of an important fact! If it a slide issue.. clean the GD slide! I suggest dissambling the slide inside a large, clear plastic bag..LOL... trust me on this.. and good luck.

Raymond

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
OK my wife is home so I can't take pics right now :(
Their is one spot near the rear of the slide it kind off looks flat if you push it back do you here the noise when you push it out ?you should see the cocked indicator move out.
As far as the rust buy some blue armadillo.Until you buy a sub or that swear word

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
SKeefe said:
R/T Performance said:
Well it seems as if you have good options. If you intend to eventually buy a Glock anyway, just keep the XD maintained and when you get the Glock and have a second gun for the protection you feel you need, then let the XD rust and send the gun to SA then. The warranty is lifetime, so there's no rush. Do it at your convenience.

I see no reason for you to feel rushed. Certainly you can at least try and use some other rust inhibitor than the oil you mentioned. There has to be something that will protect the gun from the kind of rust you got in your car. Just find something to see you through until you have another gun for protection. Or, maybe you will decide you can be without the gun for whatever the turn around time may be.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you luck and I am sure that you will find a way to be comfortable with your decision. Which is really what's important. Maybe you will find something that will put the rust issue behind you...or at least on the back burner. Maybe you will decide you can be comfortable without the protection the gun offers for a few weeks or whatever the turn around time would be to get the gun refinished.

Good luck. I am sure that you will find a resolution that will be comfortable for you.

Peace,
D.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts