Springfield XD Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
I just picked up a used 40sc and while looking at one I tried to rack the slide and the gun felt jammed like the slide wouldn't slide back. I asked the dealer what the deal was so he took it and racked it no problem, then I tried and he informed me that the rip safety had to be engaged to rack the slide, guess I naturally hold my thumb correctly.

My question is this, when I hold any gun even rifle I was taught to keep the trigger finger straight, but down low along the outside of the bottom of the trigger guard. But while looking at XD's maybe it was an (m) I had one and my finger was on the guard with barely the edge of my finger on the trigger, (not even enough to engage the safety) but the gun clicked like the sear released, although now that I own one it did not sound or feel like the striker released.

Anyway long story short I question my safety habits now and wonder if that really was "fired" even though I don't see how, and the salesman didn't say anything, even though I bet I was white as a ghost from shame.

Could holding the trigger finger along the bottom of the guard contribute to a AD/ND?

·
Registered
321 Posts
It wasn't the "trigger safety" on the trigger, it was the "grip" safety in the back-strap of the gun. I found the same problem if I took a loose grip while wracking the slide. It's not a safety problem on your part, just be sure that you have the web of your hand high enough on the grip to disengage the safety.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I understand the Grip Safety and racking the slide.

My question was about trigger finger placement at bottom of trigger guard causing AD/UD.

While checking out XD's at LGS, I think I accidentally "Fired" the weapon, was it because I hold my trigger finger at the bottom, front of the trigger guard? My finger was not "on" the trigger, but was touching the edge of the trigger.

I don't see how this could have discharged the weapon, or if that is what I even did, and maybe I am obsessing over nothing.

·
Registered
321 Posts

My question was about trigger finger placement at bottom of trigger guard causing AD/UD.

While checking out XD's at LGS, I think I accidentally "Fired" the weapon, was it because I hold my trigger finger at the bottom, front of the trigger guard? My finger was not "on" the trigger, but was touching the edge of the trigger.

I don't see how this could have discharged the weapon, or if that is what I even did, and maybe I am obsessing over nothing.
I don't know about the one YOU had, but mine WILL NOT fire unless BOTH safetys are disengaged. If your finger was not ON the trigger DEPRESSING the trigger safety, the gun should not have fired. There is nothing wrong with your hold.

·
Registered
311 Posts
This is an excellent thread! Thanks to all who have contributed!

I am on my way to a beginner pistol safety class this week. I do not have a gun yet, but looking at the XD 45 model.

I like the idea of practicing with snap caps and not even having ANY live ammo around until the safety aspect is ingrained in me.

·
Registered
127 Posts

The XD'S just don't fire or any gun unless you have your finger on the trigger. They have a built in safety on the trigger to prevent that. One you had your finger on the trigger two you have a bad spring on your actual trigger safety. .. they are tiny springs.

Best advice is always have your finger straight and on top of the trigger guard onto the slid. Rest your tip right on the punch pin as a reference point. Helps for faster trigger acquisition too

·
Registered
707 Posts
Here's what LE trainers used when copshops switched, in droves, to Glocks. Oddly enough, most of these are things that 1911 shooters developed.

ON Target/ON Trigger,

OFF target/OFF trigger
This is what I do and its how I train.. others can do something different and that's fine. I consider ( on target/on trigger) to be the most practical methodology for my personal self defense initiatives. That's just me. Does that mean its the safest thing to do which is absent any risk of error or mishap?… Nope

·
Registered
707 Posts
I do not think a person needs a "drill" to keep their finger out of the trigger guard. What they need in thoughtful focus.

None of us are perfect but this stuff is not rocket science.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I do not think a person needs a "drill" to keep their finger out of the trigger guard. What they need in thoughtful focus.

None of us are perfect but this stuff is not rocket science.
Since it is common sense, why KEEP reviving a long dead thread?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Since it is common sense, why KEEP reviving a long dead thread?
Brother.. when I can return to a forum after a year and certain posts are still on page one of the que.. its not hard to mistake an old post for one that is currently being discussed. I simply assumed that there had been some recent activity. I didnt search the thread thoroughly before responding .

To answer your question.. There is a difference between "thoughtful focus" and common sense. How you carry a bucket of water is common sense but how you carry a bucket of boiling oil is thoughtful focus. I accept that there is undoubtedly some trained habit action involved in trigger discipline but that is something that often comes with knowledge, repetition and experience. As I said earlier, I do not feel that this is something you need a specific drill to develop. Its just not that deep, or at least it shouldn't be in my opinion.

If people need an actual drill, you may as well create a camp fire song to go with it. ;)

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
903 Posts
So I have been around firearms my entire life and I believe I have been a fairly safe shooter. After being part of an accidental discharge where a friend end up shooting himself in the foot with my shotgun when I was 17. (Luckily it was a slug and not a shot shell.) After this AD I believe I have become an above average shooter as far as safety go.

That said the recent purchase of my XD-40 has shown myself a slight weakness in my safety awareness. The fact that the XD does not have manual safety I have become more aware of my somewhat lacking trigger finger discipline. I know that you should only have your finger on the trigger when address a target. I find that in practicing with my XD using snap caps I sometimes end up with my finger still in the trigger guard while clearing or reloading. I am working very hard to completely break this habit.

So does anyone have any good ideas or drills that will help reinforce the habit of keeping my finger out of the trigger guard expect when actually ready to shoot. I would like to get in the habit of doing this far more strictly than I do know with all my firearms but especially the XD since it has no manual safety.

Comments and Suggestion appreciated

mcb

Just make a point to handle your unloaded firearms a lot and focus on always keeping your trigger finger straight. If it's straight, you're great. It will become second nature.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts