1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded
  2. Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot
  3. Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire
  4. Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire
Semper Fi!:cool:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
stipple a small area as a finger rest, giving you something to "grab" to keep your finger occupied so to speak.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm happy to find the XD forum. I don't have an XD yet, but getting close. I appreciate all the great information here!

As for trigger discipline, this may have been mentioned already, but starting out with the Glock I put bright red lipstick on the face of the trigger safety and on the corners of the trigger itself. Then I would go through various drills, and check my finger to see if I'd been on the trigger.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
No such thing as a accidental discharge, only negligent discharges.

In the Marine Corps, if a round was fired when it wasn't supposed to be, someone went to jail.

Galen
Alabama
Really? Even on the range? In the Army I don't know how many times I've heard the RSO go: Ready on the right-ready on the left-BANG!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I am a new gun owner and I have been thinking about this exact subject today. I picked up my XD9 last night. I will be taking a NRA course next week. For now, I have one box of ammo and it is unopened and kept in another part of the house. The only thing allowed in my magazines right now are snap caps so I can practice proper finger control.

For me, I realized that since we were kids and play with cap guns, toy guns, water guns, ect. we just automatically rest our finger on the trigger. It feels natural and that habit needs to be broken.

I practice going through the motions of unpacking my gun, loading rounds (snap caps for now), loading the magazine, racking and locking the slide.....basically all the things you need to do. While doing so, I am careful to watch that my finger rests on the frame. The hardest one for me is when pulling back the slide and using my thumb to engage the slide lock. I find my finger drifting lower as a I concentrate on locking the slide with my thumb. I also found that was mostly being caused by my grip not being high enough, and thus making it harder to reach the slide lock without moving my index finger.

For me, no magazines will be kept loaded until I am sure as I can be that I can perform all operations while keeping my finger where it should be without thinking about it.

GREAT TOPIC!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Congrats on your new XD, curlyjive! I think you're doing the right thing by learning your gun's controls and functions before shooting it for the first time. And you've chosen a terrific way to learn by taking an NRA course to start. :)

I'm not sure of the dimensions of the other XD-9s, but with my 4" service model the ball of my trigger finger rests nicely on the back side of the takedown lever. There's a small indentation there. Get used to feeling the contours of that spot with your finger.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Congrats on your new XD, curlyjive! I think you're doing the right thing by learning your gun's controls and functions before shooting it for the first time. And you've chosen a terrific way to learn by taking an NRA course to start. :)

I'm not sure of the dimensions of the other XD-9s, but with my 4" service model the ball of my trigger finger rests nicely on the back side of the takedown lever. There's a small indentation there. Get used to feeling the contours of that spot with your finger.

You're a lefty then? I have the Service model as well and the takedown lever on the opposite side for a righty!

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I didn't know this thread existed until tonight. Previously, I had been working on the exact things mentioned here, for the same reasons mentioned here. I've been carrying mine around the house, drawing, holstering, putting down, and picking up with finger down the slide. Old habits are hard to break! Snap-Caps are where it's at.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Is the takedown lever able to be flipped? Seems like it should. Or perhaps place a piece of grip tape behind the lever hole on the right side.
-Thomas

·
Registered
246 Posts
Is the takedown lever able to be flipped? Seems like it should. Or perhaps place a piece of grip tape behind the lever hole on the right side.
-Thomas
Good question- I don't think you could flip it- the center piece that stops the guiderod is keyed, so it wouldn't engage the guiderod correctly.

I suppose if you machined one to be righted handed you could do it, but you would have to flip the lever down towards the trigger guard since there is no groove on the right side of the slide to pass the lever through. It would also point backwards on the right side.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Yeah I realized that after I got home and examined it closer. It's not just a half-moon shape, it's more like a 2/5 moon shape. Maybe an extended lever could be an aftermarket option for a finger rest on the right side.

Customized Creationz? hehe

-Thomas

·
Registered
156 Posts
After carrying my XD45 service in a Blackhawk Serpa holster... it teaches you automatically to keep your finger along the slide when drawing. Now it just seems second nature...even with my rifles. Good training tool.

·
Registered
46 Posts
+1. I also have a Blackhawk CQC and it forces you to release the holster with your trigger finger pointed straight out. I was also thinking about getting a lazermax guide rod sight since you have to turn it on by using your trigger finger also.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
My trigger finger is very well-behaved. He stays where I tell him, and he is always home before curfew. The finger I have problems with is the one right next to Trigger. Quite frequently, he lashes out at others in an impolite fashion. This usually occurs in traffic, say when someone passes me on the right on the interstate....

·
Registered
2 Posts
this looks like great info! ive never had an issue with this because i got yelled at all the time for finger on the trigger when i was younger!

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Trigger finger and muzzle awareness are the two things that let you know in 60 seconds or less how much training someone has had.

The more you know, the more you are afraid of guns in a healthy way.

You know, like women!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great information given already.

As for clearing and reloading drills, you could try taping your trigger finger to a popsicle stick so that your muscles will remember the finger position while performing those actions.
Taping my finger with the popsicle stick sure did it for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I do carpentry/handyman work as a side job...I do not put my finger/hand on the trigger of a power saw or drill or whatever power tool I'm using until I've made sure my hands are in a safe position and I'm ready to start.
I carry those thoughts with me when I go over to the range...either drawing from holster or picking up gun ( XD9 ) from table top. Pratice Safe Be Safe

41 - 60 of 95 Posts