Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for definitions for common trigger characteristics.

Such as:

Travel
Over travel
Pull
Reset
Take up

The reason is, there are two things that bother me about my Xdm tirgger. One is that there is alot of slack between starting to pull the trigger and the break point. It also feels a bit hard to pull past the break point. I am sure some of this is break in, but I am considering a trigger job and I want to know what terms describe what I want. (short overall trigger pull and a lighter weight break)

I am looking to have springfield do their combat/carry job and wondering if this will do what I want?

·
Registered
455 Posts
If I err, sombody will jump all over it, still...

Travel-the total distance the part under the finger moves when firing the gun.
Over-travel- the distance the piece under the finger moves after the hammer/striker is released.
Pull-the force necessary to make the gun go bang-to cause the hammer/striker to break free from the sear.
Reset-the action of relaxing the piece under the finger to cause the internals to cycle to the 'can' be fired position. It's also used to specify the distance the piece under the finger must move forward to cause this action.
Takeup-the movement of the piece under the finger until the internals start to move the sear for disengagement from the hammer/striker.

In terms of proper adjustment:
Travel should match the dimensions of the finger pulling the trigger, over-travel should be just long enough to fully disengage the disconnect properly allowing the gun to reset, which should be just long enough to do it properly. Pull should be 4-5 pounds for street carry, less (to the ability of the shooter) for gun games, but never to the point of unsafe. Take-up should be what's comfortable and very smooth, giving a distinct feel when parts are fully engaged and the gun/shot is about to break.

You missed 'creep'-the feeling of sear and hammer/striker parts rubbing or grinding before the shot breaks.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Let me take a stab at this... please correct me if I'm wrong on any of them!

---

Travel - the distance the trigger moves rearward during the trigger pull, all the way from its initial position to the point when it is mechanically stopped (i.e. it cannot be pulled back any further).

Break - the point in the trigger pull when the gun fires.

Pre-travel - the distance the trigger moves rearward from the initial position until the break..

Over travel - the distance the trigger moves rearward AFTER the break.

Pull - the amount of force it takes on the trigger to get past the break, i.e. to make the gun fire.

Reset - after the gun has fired, the distance the trigger has to move forward, before you are able to re-pull the trigger and make the gun fire. This can be as far as moving all the way forward to the resting position, or moving to just past the break point.

Take up - same as pre-travel.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Looks like you guys nailed it!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
The reason is, there are two things that bother me about my Xdm tirgger. One is that there is alot of slack between starting to pull the trigger and the break point. It also feels a bit hard to pull past the break point. I am sure some of this is break in, but I am considering a trigger job and I want to know what terms describe what I want. (short overall trigger pull and a lighter weight break)

I am looking to have springfield do their combat/carry job and wondering if this will do what I want?
I'd have Springer Precision do it, instead of Springfield, but that's just me. He did a remarkable job on my XD.

I'd say you need to reduce the weight of your trigger pull, which is the force needed to get past the break point (mine started around 10 pounds, now it's down to 4 pounds), and you need to reduce pre-travel (see the definitions above. Mine is now basically free of pre-travel, and it breaks just after the resting point. I'd also have them reduce overtravel, so the trigger doesn't move rearward much after the break---it sounds harmless, but the move you are unnecessarily pulling on the trigger after you need to (i.e. after it has fired) the more you risk pulling the gun off your target. That screws up your accuracy.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok,

Pretty much what I thought, but I wanted to be sure.

So what I want is the take up shortened and the pull lightened. I know that the combat carry package includes the lightened pull and overtravel shortening.......but I am not sure about pre-travel. Can that be done?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Ok,

Pretty much what I thought, but I wanted to be sure.

So what I want is the take up shortened and the pull lightened. I know that the combat carry package includes the lightened pull and overtravel shortening.......but I am not sure about pre-travel. Can that be done?
I believe that the pre-travel, overtravel, reset, and lighter pull is taken care of in that SA trigger package. I would call or e-mail to make sure. They will be more than happy to answer your questions.

And props to Carn he's all over it today!!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd have Springer Precision do it, instead of Springfield, but that's just me. He did a remarkable job on my XD.

I'd say you need to reduce the weight of your trigger pull, which is the force needed to get past the break point (mine started around 10 pounds, now it's down to 4 pounds), and you need to reduce pre-travel (see the definitions above. Mine is now basically free of pre-travel, and it breaks just after the resting point. I'd also have them reduce overtravel, so the trigger doesn't move rearward much after the break---it sounds harmless, but the move you are unnecessarily pulling on the trigger after you need to (i.e. after it has fired) the more you risk pulling the gun off your target. That screws up your accuracy.

I know they do great work as well, but for warranty purposes I want to use SA.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts