Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone try sticking a bic pen in the barrel with the tip 1 inch from the wall, aim and fire to practice anticipation or limp wristing? My weapons instructor told me to try this and also said it does not hurt the firing pin.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Yeah. I have tried it. It comes form the military handgunning handbook.

Don't use a pin though. The firing pin will poke a hole in the plastic and the pin will go no where. Trust me on this. Use a wooden pencil with a rubber eraser.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tape a piece of paper on a wall. put a dot on it, take your empty firearm and rack the slide, insert pencil make sure it is back all the way, aim at the dot, make sure that pencil is 1 inch away from paper. press trigger, the pin will tap the pencil. do this a couple of times. then look at the dots you made on the paper and it should tell you what your doing when dry firing. (anticipating, limp wristing, etc.) supposed to be a good drill.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
therooster said:
i understand the concept.... but how does it tell you if your anticipating or not?
ever dry fire and see your front site move when you press the trigger? Its another way to practice without concentrating on your technique and concentrate on the target.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
ArmoredXD said:
tape a piece of paper on a wall. put a dot on it, take your empty firearm and rack the slide, insert pencil make sure it is back all the way, aim at the dot, make sure that pencil is 1 inch away from paper. press trigger, the pin will tap the pencil. do this a couple of times. then look at the dots you made on the paper and it should tell you what your doing when dry firing. (anticipating, limp wristing, etc.) supposed to be a good drill.
OOOOHHH,....alright...OK I'll try that. :eek:

·
Registered
44 Posts
everytime I do it it's in the same place everytime..I must be good, or not doing it right.

I'll post a vid/pic later if I get a chance.

-Tyler

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Sonny74 said:
Here is an article explaining this technique
http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/pistoltrainingtg.htm
Nice reference material, Thanks for the URL.

I would offer one additional suggestion, though. Rather than trying to stuff pencil erasers into the primer pockets of dummy rounds, use white silicone caulk. The white color identifies them as dummies and the caulk offers a spongy material for the striker to impact. Not a bad idea to drill a hole through the side of the case as well, positively identifies it as a dummy.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
ArmoredXD said:
therooster said:
i understand the concept.... but how does it tell you if your anticipating or not?
ever dry fire and see your front site move when you press the trigger? Its another way to practice without concentrating on your technique and concentrate on the target.
yeah.... thats my point. you can see the front site drop if you anticipate. what does a pencil or pen have to do with it?

i still dont understand how it will tell you what your doing with your trigger control. i tried it last night and didnt come to any conclusions.

·
Registered
56 Posts
of course, doing any drill to fix anticipation or flinching will not really help if you realize that you're doing the drill. i still have a slight flinching problem and i do snap cap drills to no end and i do them fine, but thats because i know that i'm using snap caps, or a pencil, or that i have a penny on the top of the slide.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts