Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question I hope someone might have an answer to. On Saturday I am flying to Florida to visit my father for a few days and I want to bring my XD. I spoke with the airline and they said that I could in fact pack it in my suitcase. The question I have is, " Is it legal for me to be is possession of a pistol in the state of Florida even though I am not a resident?" I have a valid New York liscence. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I just did my CCW class and from what they told me you have to have a Florida licence. Florida licence is only good in Florida unlike other states who take other CCWs. It's like $117. If your not going to carry it same regulat rules apply.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
...Is it legal for me to be is possession of a pistol in the state of Florida even though I am not a resident?...
First, IANAL, YMMV, etc...

Yes, it is legal for you to be in possession of a pistol.
No, it is NOT legal for you to conceal carry in Florida with a NY permit.
No, it is NOT legal for you to open carry in Florida.
You must comply with state and local laws for the transportation of the firearm (must be in the glovebox or trunk, I believe).

Doesn't seem worth the hassle to take it if you can't carry

·
Registered
950 Posts
Probably not worth the hassle and they are right,your gun probably wouldn't make it with you to Florida.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
TSA won't let you lock your lugage anymore so I won't fly with firearms anymore so I drive. As for florida, my Wyoming permit is good there. I just happened to lok this afternoon. However you it seems that you have to be a resident of the state your permit is issued in for it to be good in Florida. The USA Carry site is the best for checking where permits are good that I have found so far.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone. It looks like I'll be leaving my gun at home and shooting my fathers. Probably wom't shoot much anyway considering I am only going for a few days and I have'nt seen my dad in 3 years..

·
Registered
531 Posts
TSA won't let you lock your lugage anymore so I won't fly with firearms anymore so I drive. As for florida, my Wyoming permit is good there. I just happened to lok this afternoon. However you it seems that you have to be a resident of the state your permit is issued in for it to be good in Florida. The USA Carry site is the best for checking where permits are good that I have found so far.
Wrong. You must declare a firearm at checking counter and they allow you to lock it with a NON-TSA LOCK. This is specifically so TSA CAN NOT steal your firearm.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Wrong. You must declare a firearm at checking counter and they allow you to lock it with a NON-TSA LOCK. This is specifically so TSA CAN NOT steal your firearm.
That's right. The last time I flew (rifles, but the same rule applied to handguns) they required the case to be locked after it was checked by TSA. And they do not label the outside with any type of indication that it contains a firearm.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I'm kinda in the same boat but I'm driving to seattle...there is no way I'm driving that far without my XD...but it seems CA, OR, and WA don't honor my permit :(

·
Registered
531 Posts
No, that keeps them from opening it without bolt cutters...

When you have to label it so it reads "HEY!!! THERE'S A GUN IN HERE!!!!!", it's not going to be very secure unless it's bolted to the ground.
Again, WRONG. They dont label firearms anymore.

I just fly a few weeks ago from Redding, CA to Phoenix, AZ.
I walked up to the counter with my pelican case and two locks.
Said "I need to declare a firearm". She said okay please open it and show me that its unloaded. I did so filled out a small 1x2" card with serial etc. and placed it INSIDE the case. Then locked it and she carried it away with the rest of my checked baggage.
Simple as that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WTFH4XX-That is exactly what Southwest told me. They also said they won't put your suitcase on the carosel (sp) You have to go to baggage claim to get it. They also me that they put a sticker on your bag to let the handlers know that there is a firearm in the bag and that way they know to send it to a diff. area. Seems to me like their inviting someone to steal.

·
Registered
531 Posts
WTFH4XX-That is exactly what Southwest told me. They also said they won't put your suitcase on the carosel (sp) You have to go to baggage claim to get it. They also me that they put a sticker on your bag to let the handlers know that there is a firearm in the bag and that way they know to send it to a diff. area. Seems to me like their inviting someone to steal.
Read my above post. I flew using Southwest. I retrieved my case from the baggage claim (the automated carousel) . It was unmarked.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I'm kinda in the same boat but I'm driving to seattle...there is no way I'm driving that far without my XD...but it seems CA, OR, and WA don't honor my permit :(
Put it in the trunk in a locked case with alarms and a guard dog nearby when traveling through California, and don't forget the triple redundant trigger locks... I'm pretty sure that's the only way it's legal. :D = kidding, of course

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Like i said, I spoke to Southwest today and the lady on the phone told me I had to go to baggage claim and show my drivers liscence before I would be able to retrieve my bag. Also I forgot to mention that I too would have to show that the gun was unloade and then lock the case and then put the gun case in my bag.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The last time I asked they wouldn't let you lock your luggage. If they have changed it, thats great. However I am still driving. Tired of TSA stealing my comm gear when I go to wildfires back east.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts