Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should have taken the time to research this a little better before tonight, but I let time slip away. I will be driving to New Jersey tomorrow and wanted to carry my pistol with me. I have my concealed carry permit in NC, but I see there are a couple of states I will pass thru or be in that have no reciprocal agreement. I would still like to carry my gun with me just to have it when I get to my destination. Does anyone know if it is legal for me to have my pistol in my suitcase in the trunk of my car while I travel? If it matters, the gun I plan to take is my S&W M&P Compact. It has 10 round magazines.

Thanks in advance for the help. :)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
if it isn't in the passenger area with you, I would think you wouldn't have any problems. Just to be safe keep it unloaded and have the ammo in a seperate bag. Here in IL we don't get CC, and the law for transporting is it has to be in a case and not within reach of you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone just sent me the NJ laws about transporting a weapon and looks like I am screwed. Really ticks me off that I can't take my pistol with me. Liberal gun control fanatics!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yep, screwed. New Jersey is not a gun friendly state. You must have a New Jersey license. You don't want to end up like that guy who's flight got cancelled in NJ, who had a gun in checked luggage, and then ended up getting arrested and his gun confiscated when he left the airport.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, screwed. New Jersey is not a gun friendly state. You must have a New Jersey license. You don't want to end up like that guy who's flight got cancelled in NJ, who had a gun in checked luggage, and then ended up getting arrested and his gun confiscated when he left the airport.
I guess I could rant on and on about this. I can't find the words to convey how angry I am about something this ridiculous.

·
Registered
69 Posts
NO hollow point ammo! New Jersey has become a real POLICE STATE where hand guns and ammunition are concerned. Another horror story involved a guy from Colorado who moved there and had his weapon and HP ammo with him. It ended up requiring a special pardon from Gov. Christi to correct the situation they put that guy in.

·
Registered
178 Posts
NO hollow point ammo! New Jersey has become a real POLICE STATE where hand guns and ammunition are concerned. Another horror story involved a guy from Colorado who moved there and had his weapon and HP ammo with him. It ended up requiring a special pardon from Gov. Christi to correct the situation they put that guy in.
Yes, he was pardon, but the conviction is in his record, he will never be able to carry a gun again

·
Registered
780 Posts

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
I guess I could rant on and on about this. I can't find the words to convey how angry I am about something this ridiculous.
The GOOD news is that there's no Constitutional or statutory requirement that ANYBODY live in a state that's run by pusillanimous pansy DemocRATS!!:cool:

·
Registered
456 Posts
The GOOD news is that there's no Constitutional or statutory requirement that ANYBODY live in a state that's run by pusillanimous pansy DemocRATS!!:cool:
Aint it the truth!

·
Registered
456 Posts
To the OP- New jersey is the armpit of america! I believe a few of there towns are the most crime ridden places in America! Granted there are nice places there. You wont catch me in that state for long. I think I would take the long way around just to get to PA where most of my family lives! They gotta legally keep weapons out of peoples hands cause they got enough illegal weapons carriers to deal with already!

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
I should have taken the time to research this a little better before tonight, but I let time slip away. I will be driving to New Jersey tomorrow and wanted to carry my pistol with me. I have my concealed carry permit in NC, but I see there are a couple of states I will pass thru or be in that have no reciprocal agreement. I would still like to carry my gun with me just to have it when I get to my destination. Does anyone know if it is legal for me to have my pistol in my suitcase in the trunk of my car while I travel? If it matters, the gun I plan to take is my S&W M&P Compact. It has 10 round magazines.

Thanks in advance for the help. :)
If you are driving through NJ you are protected by federal law to do so. You do not mention if your destination is in NJ or not. Even then you can keep your firearm anywhere you legaly live as long as you follow local laws. A hotel is a legal residence.

NRA-ILA ::

Transporting Firearms During Travel
A provision of federal law serves as a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel.
Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
Never trust a forum for advice. I would do some googling before I took anyones advice from a forum.........

·
Registered
224 Posts
I agree with all your ranting, it really is sad. We have the right to keep and bare arms, as well as the right to defend yourself and your family but they limit you to the existant that its almost impossable to do so. Good luck and JUST MY OPINION, its better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

·
Registered
826 Posts
As soon as I saw you were headed to NJ, I knew you were screwed. Not a gun friendly state. I have read alot of stories. Sorry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Back home now, but thanks for the responses. I decided that since I didn't have time to research thoroughly so I decided to leave my pistol at home. I have to admit that since I have gotten accustomed to carrying it left me feeling a little vulnerable, especially in an unfamiliar place.

New Jersey was my destination with a couple of quick trips into NY while we were there. Enjoyed seeing the wife's family but glad to be back home in NC.

Thanks again for all of the responses. I can now research gun laws more thoroughly before taking any future trips.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts